Unusual diesel workings

I wonder if anyone ever saw a BR blue 25 on the southern?

Sometime around 1979/80ish a class 25 turned up at Ashford on a train of Notts Forest football supporters heading for the European Cup Final. I no longer have my notes from the time but if I recall correctly it was 25071. Earlier in the day three 47s had also worked down to Dover with similar trains. The 25 came off at Ashford and headed back north light engine. One of the 47s which had returned light engine from Dover took over.

Hastings to Ashford services late 80s early 90s one trip from Ashford to Hastings and return was worked by a class 108 or 101 dmu  while a class 205 was refuelling at ashford

Sometime around about 1991/2 there was a shortage of DEMUs for use on the Ashford - Hastings line and a number of services were formed of a dead electric unit with a class 33. Usually, though not always a 33/1 working in push/pull mode. I think the units were usually 4CEPs. On at least one occasion the loco was a 73.

Another interesting working on the line, probably in the early 80s I think, was the summer Saturdays only Newcastle - Eastbourne SAGA excursion which ran via Ashford and Hastings in both directions. I often watched the northbound working at Ore. It always had a class 33 on it which would be working pretty hard at that point.

(Edited - actually my memory may be slightly faulty there - the northbound SAGA working certainly ran via Hastings and Ashford but not so certain about the southbound.)

Edited by guillemot
  • Like 2

Sometime around 1979/80ish a class 25 turned up at Ashford on a train of Notts Forest football supporters heading for the European Cup Final. I no longer have my notes from the time but if I recall correctly it was 25071. Earlier in the day three 47s had also worked down to Dover with similar trains. The 25 came off at Ashford and headed back north light engine. One of the 47s which had returned light engine from Dover took over.

Oh boy!  I would have blown a fuse if I had seen that. Even 47s were not that common at Ashford, so when I was returning with mother-in-law and her mother after visiting her father in the William Harvey in 1978; and on passing the stabling point I saw a 47 next to the usual 73s and 71s, I performed an emergency stop and three point turn on the bridge, then turned into the car park and got out to photograph what turned out to be WR 47142; they must have wondered what had come over me.

Yes, your daughter/granddaughter has married a nut job.

post-4474-0-94543100-1488017725.jpg

47142 and 73109 Ashford 10th September 1978.

• Like 8

I stand to be corrected, but I believe that prior to these two farewell trips, the last time Westerns worked a passenger train into Merthyr was h the Royal Train, following the Aberfan tragedy in October 1966.

Yes that was D1054 I was told that D1015 was the back up engine.

The 2 workings that I remember is D1052 on the salt train to Pontypridd and D1012 working an ECS from

Treherbert to Canton off a Rugex in 1973

And also Westerns regularly visited Radyr working the Acton coal trains.

Great days

Gareth

Edited by TEDDYBEAR D9521

Oh boy!  I would have blown a fuse if I had seen that. Even 47s were not that common at Ashford, so when I was returning with mother-in-law and her mother after visiting her father in the William Harvey in 1978; and on passing the stabling point I saw a 47 next to the usual 73s and 71s, I performed an emergency stop and three point turn on the bridge, then turned into the car park and got out to photograph what turned out to be WR 47142; they must have wondered what had come over me.

Yes, your daughter/granddaughter has married a nut job.

attachicon.gif100312 47142 73109 AF 10:9:78 copy.jpg

47142 and 73109 Ashford 10th September 1978.

Yes seeing a 47 on the southeastern division was quite a big deal for us based in that local.

I like the picture, I remember that stabling point well :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes seeing a 47 on the southeastern division was quite a big deal for us based in that local.

I like the picture, I remember that stabling point well :)

I remember a school French trip in the late 70s that took a 47 from somewhere north of Princes Risborough (where I got on) to Folkestone for direct transfer onto the Boulogne ferry. I have vague recollections of running via Neasden, to gain the NLL down to Kenny O and then Clapham Junction. Could well have been a WR 47 and where would it have stabled while we were in France?

Dave

I remember a school French trip in the late 70s that took a 47 from somewhere north of Princes Risborough (where I got on) to Folkestone for direct transfer onto the Boulogne ferry. I have vague recollections of running via Neasden, to gain the NLL down to Kenny O and then Clapham Junction. Could well have been a WR 47 and where would it have stabled while we were in France?

Dave

I'm not sure whether it would have waited for you- how long were you away for? If it had been a day trip, then the train might have been stabled at Dover or, more likely, Ashford.

Dave

Although early 70s, this may be a similar trip -

post-4474-0-53228000-1488138995_thumb.jpg

D1584 (87A/LE) at Margate on 4th November 1972

Edited by jonny777
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I'm not sure whether it would have waited for you- how long were you away for? If it had been a day trip, then the train might have been stabled at Dover or, more likely, Ashford.

It was only a day trip, may have been an Oxfordshire and possibly Buckinghamshire schools run charter. The year was when Jouef released their OO Mk3 coaches.

Dave

Sometime around 1970 double headed Brush Type 2's (31's) northbound past Springs Branch Wigan on a solid van train. Probably went to Preston or Heysham etc as they returned south light engine a couple of hours later. Very rare sighting at Wigan back then. Looks like 5571 & 5*91, bit fuzzy as they caught me unaware !!

post-6884-0-13158800-1488145774_thumb.jpg

post-6884-0-08663100-1488145791_thumb.jpg

Brit15

• Like 4

Whilst on the subject of unusual diesels, one of my dad's photos that has always puzzled me. Springs Branch Wigan looking north from Taylors lane bridge. Undated but I'd say early / mid 60's. Is that a Deltic on shed, just about visible under the signal gantry to the left ?. looks like a diesel with oval silver buffers, 4 character central headcode and small yellow ends. The Deltics were born just a few miles south of here.

Anyway, a fine photo.

post-6884-0-90947700-1488147168_thumb.jpg

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO
  • Like 1

I've replaced the photo with one a bit clearer. Could well be a newish EE type 4 (40), common as muck around Wigan back then.

Wonder why they didn't clean / repaint the bottom bit of the Black 5's tender ?

Anyway, same day as the 2 Brush 2's above, a Peak at Springs Branch, not too rare, but not common (I beleive the early morning Glasgow - Liverpool Sleeper was peak hauled back then but I never saw it)

post-6884-0-78219300-1488147808_thumb.jpg

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO

There were regular Mystexs and Adexs from South Wales to Margate in the early 1970s - stock and loco were stabled in the Margate area.

I was passenger on such a Mystex that ran from Hereford to Margate in around 1976. It was a real mystery tour as the route was as follows, and it was well into the journey before I had worked out roughly worked out our destination. Hereford-Newport Maindy East Curve-Dr Days Jcn around the East curve-through Bath to Bathampton Jcn- Westbury and around the East Chord onto the B&H-Reading-West London Jcn-North Pole Jcn-Clapham Jcn and under the line to Waterloo to Wandworth Rd-Denmark Hill-Nunhead-Lewisham-and then I think via Gravesend to Rochester and Margate. I must admit that after Clapham Jcn I an not 100% sure of the route, but I'm pretty sure we went through Rochester and Chatham, as we got some funny looks from the passengers on those stations as a 47 thundered through with 10 coaches on. Much to the guards amazement I stood  at the first door behind the loco for all the journey to Margate, which I remember was nearly 4 hours in duration. I loved every minute of it.

Paul J.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Although early 70s, this may be a similar trip -

attachicon.gifd1584 margate 4:11:72 copy.jpg

D1584 (87A/LE) at Margate on 4th November 1972

Looks like 1584 was a popular choice for excursions to the Southern!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kerryp28/29573992336/in/photolist-M4mrzA-acVPFt-acVPZP-aEwGCZ-acVPwc-acYBCA-aEwHkF-bzHTNk-5UnQfR-Epcrki-acVPRt

Which is strange as I remember her as a regular on the afternoon Worcester - Malvern schools train

Phil

• Like 2

Looks like 1584 was a popular choice for excursions to the Southern!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kerryp28/29573992336/in/photolist-M4mrzA-acVPFt-acVPZP-aEwGCZ-acVPwc-acYBCA-aEwHkF-bzHTNk-5UnQfR-Epcrki-acVPRt

Which is strange as I remember her as a regular on the afternoon Worcester - Malvern schools train

Phil

That photo has added interest, as it also shows a 104 on a Peterborough service.

That photo has added interest, as it also shows a 104 on a Peterborough service.

Not an unusual occurrence, green ones were common in the immediate post steam period and blue ones shared the Leicester and Peterborough turns with 104/ 114/ 117 and 120 sets, even after 31s had taken over the Norwich turns.

Wow so much to take in......

Some of these weren't that rare at the time (late 60s to early 70s), but were certainly something different.

As well as the 25s at Clapham Jct, they were regular visitors on cross London freights to Hither Green in the late 1960s  as were the occasional Class 27 when still allocated to Cricklewood.

My most unusual 25 sighting was D7660 in blue southbound through Forest Hill light engine on 31 August 1967. I can only assume it had been to Bricklayers Arms or possibly dropped some wagons off at New Cross Gate.

31s also visited Hither Green on cross London freights, but there was also a daily (?) Temple Mills to Hoo Jct (Via the Dartford Loop) freight with a 31 as regular power which occasionally produced a 37 and on the very odd occasion a Class 15!!

Double 47 or 47/45 combos were daily regulars on the MGR coal trains to Northfleet and Eastern and Scottish Region 47s on cement trains Oxwellmains.

D383 made it to Hither Green in October 1967 - I had seen it at Willesden while at an Open Day there and then found out at School on Monday it also made it to HG that day.

Of course the most unusual diesel was the visit of D6122 to Hither Green for several months - though this could hardly be viewed as a 'working'

• Like 1