Unusual diesel workings

On 19/09/2019 at 18:50, SouthernBlue80s said:

I guess it was. It would have been quite something if it worked all the way to Sheerness. I guess we will never know.

In the late 60s/early 70s, 37s would occasionally reach Hoo Jct - there was a daily (?) Temple Mills (?) to Hoo freight that was usually a Class 31, but occasionally a 37 would turn up, and on a couple of occasions a Class 15 would appear - it ran right past our school. 

• Like 1

On 16/12/2012 at 11:45, PatB said:

Years ago, I read somewhere of a working to (I think) Bishop Auckland in which the DMU hauled a tail load of vans. Following arrival and detraining of passengers the DMU would run round the vans, draw forward and then propel them into place for unloading, thus indulging in shunting. Others on the forum may know more details.

Yes, Whitby used to have a DMU shunting the yard, usually on a Friday IIRC. The was an occasional Pick up goods, Steam hauled at first, but every so often the yard needed a 'shunter' and a visiting DMU did the job.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GeoffAlan said:

Yes, Whitby used to have a DMU shunting the yard, usually on a Friday IIRC. The was an occasional Pick up goods, Steam hauled at first, but every so often the yard needed a 'shunter' and a visiting DMU did the job.

I'd love to see this - does anyone have any photos,  please?

Hi All

Here's something I've always wondered about. When I was 11 my dad took me on a trip from Newcastle to Sheffield. Then to Boston. Lincoln next then Peterborough and home. (According to my note book). It was second week of August 1968. 

I clearly recall seeing blue class 33 D6566 with headcode A4 at Boston. 

I always thought that was an unusual thing and now, seeing this discussion, thought someone might be able to advise if this was as unusual as I thought it was!

Thanks

Tim

• RMweb Gold

Maybe taken off a Cliffe - Uddingstone cement working, diverted via the joint line. The Crompton(s) worked regularly as far as York throught the 60s, before Type 4 power took over. The headcode was shown either as 4A or A4 on almost all photos of the working.

Edited by stovepipe

1 hour ago, stovepipe said:

Maybe taken off a Cliffe - Uddingstone cement working, diverted via the joint line. The Crompton(s) worked regularly as far as York throught the 60s, before Type 4 power took over. The headcode was shown either as 4A or A4 on almost all photos of the working.

Thanks for that info. Very interesting.

I'm pretty sure it was light engine but it was a long time ago and I could be wrong. 

Tim

On 13/05/2020 at 17:51, pinzaboy said:

Hi All

Here's something I've always wondered about. When I was 11 my dad took me on a trip from Newcastle to Sheffield. Then to Boston. Lincoln next then Peterborough and home. (According to my note book). It was second week of August 1968. 

I clearly recall seeing blue class 33 D6566 with headcode A4 at Boston. 

I always thought that was an unusual thing and now, seeing this discussion, thought someone might be able to advise if this was as unusual as I thought it was!

Thanks

Tim

I wonder if you have mistaken Boston for Spalding, as 4S37 (the down working, despite the A4/4A class 33 headcodes) would have passed through there on a daily basis SuX,  (I saw it regularly between Sleaford and Spalding in 1968) but I have never heard of it going via Boston which would have been a very long way round. 

1968 is a strange year for the Cliffe-Uddinston trains; because although the northbound working travelled via the GN&GE as booked in the WTTs, the up working which was 4O30 went via the ECML. 

You must have seen the down working which was due through Spalding at around 0900 in that year, but often ran late.

• RMweb Gold

There are two I can remember from the 1970's, if they are of any interest.

I was working at Aberthaw power station in the May and June of 1979 and a pair of Class 20's  worked one of the coal trains. Given the time lapse I cannot now remember if it was once or twice.

In the early 1980's when working in the Aylesbury area as an insurance company engineer I saw a Class 40 arrive at Princes Risborough with a train of coal hoppers. 

• Like 1

Now, I would have given my life savings to have seen (and better still photograph) a pair of 20s working to Aberthaw. I was working at the airport at the time and lived in Rhoose. 

Unfortunately the line was not visible, either from my house or work. 

48 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

I wonder if you have mistaken Boston for Spalding, as 4S37 (the down working, despite the A4/4A class 33 headcodes) would have passed through there on a daily basis SuX,  (I saw it regularly between Sleaford and Spalding in 1968) but I have never heard of it going via Boston which would have been a very long way round. 

1968 is a strange year for the Cliffe-Uddinston trains; because although the northbound working travelled via the GN&GE as booked in the WTTs, the up working which was 4O30 went via the ECML. 

You must have seen the down working which was due through Spalding at around 0900 in that year, but often ran late.

Thanks for that info.  I am very grateful.

From memory the station concerned had 4 lines going through. (2 platform lines and 2 lines through the middle; the 33 came through the middle).

Tim

6 minutes ago, pinzaboy said:

Thanks for that info.  I am very grateful.

From memory the station concerned had 4 lines going through. (2 platform lines and 2 lines through the middle; the 33 came through the middle).

Tim

Well it does sound like Boston. 

Spalding had no through lines between platform ones. 

You may have witnessed an extremely rare working. I will have to do more investigating, although I suspect that many enthusiasts in August 1968 were concentrating elsewhere and the end of steam on BR. 

4 hours ago, stovepipe said:

There was a 33 allocated to Peterborough for a short while; I believe it was for driver training in connection with the cement trains. Though not in the very early days of them working those trains, I can't recall the date of the temporary allocation. I suppose it is possible that this could be that loco, on a training run from PBO?

Stewart

• 6 months later...