Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

RMweb Christmas Cards

Andy Y

It was quickly becoming apparent that a lot of Christmas cards were turning up at RMweb Towers from some jolly nice folk and that I'd struggle to keep pace with replying (even if I knew their addresses!) so I thought I'd put a bit of effort into a virtual Christmas card for them and for the other members of the site and chuck a few quid in the hat for the Railway Children.

(Click to play 10Mb .wmv file)

Christmas_card_windows.jpg

Or click to downloand 16Mb .mp4 file

I know it's still a little bit early for an online seasonal greeting to you but I thought it would make a suitable topic for anyone to drop their own creative greetings into to other members over the next week or so. Thank you to Jon Grant for the subject matter!

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

No card, I'm afraid such technology is beyond me just now. But I believe Christmas should be a time of laughter and would like to leave you with this from the excellent Frank Kelly, better known as Father Jack - yes, he of the famous monosyllabic outbursts (DRINK!) in the equally excellent (GURLLS!) Father Ted series (AR- ) - Thank you, Jack, that will do.

Have a good Christmas and may the New year bring you all you wish and more.

My particular mid-winter festival is Yule on Friday 21st. I will celebrate the turning of the year and the return of the Sun.

post-5868-0-97465500-1355742036_thumb.jpg

However I wish you all a happy and peaceful time over the holiday season, whatever your faith.

• RMweb Premium

I acknowledge Yule along with other ancient festivals; they are still just as relevant today marking the turning of seasons and years.

I also acknowledge those whose beliefs do not include Christmas.

When I came to Australia I found it of interest to note that Christmas is observed in a Euro-merican style where cards usually feature midwinter scenes of snow-clad pine forests and frozen lakes. Santa still wears a thick red fur-lined coat despite the fact that it is mid summer here and the temperature can reach above 40C. The concept of Christmas cards with beach-goers swilling ice-cold beer around the barbecue either on the beach or in a hot dusty landscape just doesn't seem to have taken hold.

And on December 21st it will be Beltane, not Yule.

I acknowledge Yule along with other ancient festivals; they are still just as relevant today marking the turning of seasons and years.

I also acknowledge those whose beliefs do not include Christmas.

When I came to Australia I found it of interest to note that Christmas is observed in a Euro-merican style where cards usually feature midwinter scenes of snow-clad pine forests and frozen lakes. Santa still wears a thick red fur-lined coat despite the fact that it is mid summer here and the temperature can reach above 40C. The concept of Christmas cards with beach-goers swilling ice-cold beer around the barbecue either on the beach or in a hot dusty landscape just doesn't seem to have taken hold.

And on December 21st it will be Beltane, not Yule.

Litha in the southern hemisphere, surely?

post-5868-0-05654900-1355743452.gif

Bright Blessings,

Archived