Diesel loco haul single passenger coach

class37418stag

• RMweb Premium

Fun sized HSTs, two locos and two coaches, thats one coach per loco

But Hornby & previously Lima, did that all the time in their sets, so such a model running on a layout, looks like someone has just gone out and purchased such a set & plonked it on the track.

Elsewhere there is this photo.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/image/12283-very-short-hst/

Or this.

http://www.therailwaycentre.com/NewSite%20POD%202007/POD09_02_07.jpg

Which is of course the Farish version.

But for the ultimate but genuine passenger carrying HST.

http://www.luxsoft.demon.co.uk/village/hst.html

You need a smoke generator though.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

By the 1990s? Nothing that I am aware of. Go back to the 1960s and the answer is a resounding yes.

More than one branch line and rural route saw a single loco and coach at times ranging from Aberystwyth - Carmarthen to The Mound - Dornoch. Most of those were legacies from steam days; some would have added other traffic along the way such as a van or milk tankers. The single coach in question would have been a BCK in all cases where first class was offered, otherwise a BSK, BSO of Mk1 stock or Company equivalent vehicle.

In cases where loco-hauled stock replaced a DMU either at short notice or (and especially during the run-down of the first generation DMU fleet) at times of acute stock shortage the formations varied but were generally between 2 and 4 coaches and sometimes with a loco on either end if no run-round facilities remained.

The only other occasion I can recall anything similar to a loco-plus-one being used was when an HST had derailed (or failed?) on the Newquay branch and the rear power car was uncoupled and used to transport passengers back to Par on its own.

• Like 1

I think 31's topped and tailed on the Bletchley-Bedford Service and may have done similar on the Gospel Oak-Barking service although can't find video proof. Both these though I suspect two coaches. Also of interest is a 33 on the Barking line as shown in video link below.

Slightly off topic I accept.

• Like 2

In the 1980's when I was at school I used to quite frequently get a call from a friend and we would then catch the Sheffield - Leeds stopper. This would happen when the classic DMU had a failure and they would drag it behind a Tinsley freight loco to Leeds in service. Had 20, 25, and other none heat locos on this type of train. Not 1 coach but usually a 2 car DMU + loco.

The only sngle coach workings I have seen tended to be loco plus inspection saloon/route learning coach.

You might find an isolated incident of a loco, hauling just one coach. The best I can come up with is hauling a two car DMU which had failed. DMU sets were a dying breed by the 1990's, with most of the remaining sets centred around Glasgow and Manchester, so "modellers licence" might be rquired for this one !

The first train I worked as a secondman at Rugby was a class 83 and one SR utility 4 wheel van! Not strictly a passenger train, but parcels to Crewe, with a crew of 3 and 3300hp it must have been quite an economical journey!

• RMweb Premium

there used to be some on the ScR, usually as timetabled 'parcels' trains. e.g. an edinburgh-carstairs used to be loco+BSK or BG and i think there was one dundee-perth or similar

Edited by keefer

Slightly off-topic, but there was an incident in 1972 where a Sheffield-Huddersfield DMU suffered a partial failure at Sheffield, losing one of the two power cars on a three car set. Staff realised that it would not make the climb to Penistone (at this time the Huddersfield trains still used the Woodhead line to Penistone, rather than today's route via Barnsley). The unit was run to Woodburn Junction and a Class 76 buffered up and banked it to Penistone. It was then able to struggle through the Huddersfield.

Alan

Another that springs to mind from the 1970s was the 00 something Northampton to Leicester "parliamentary" train which was usually a BSK and a 45. It only ever ran one way, a bit like the much-discussed Wandsworth Road-Ealing Broadway service of late.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andrew,

I remember seeing a pic of a 33/1 on a single NSE MK2. I think it was on the Southampton to Salisbury line, but I am not sure of the service.

Cheers Peter.

If it was going the other way there would be a fair chance that it would be taking the Eastleigh line at Romsey and then on to the works???

Otherwise it might have travelled up from Eastleigh on its way to Laira (I suspect via Westbury), that was the other coaching stock maintenance base.

Either way an attractive train :sungum:

• 7 years later...
  • RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, class37418stag said:

Hello please excuse my English 

i has seen photo of class 47461 scotrail hauled single brake coach

how many people on seat inside brake coach

http://www.class47.co.uk/c47_zoom_v3.php?img=0925010284000

ive not seen many 1 coach trains in the 1980’s, more than likely this is a stock move such as recovering a failed or repaired vehicle.

• Agree 1

In the 80s the 05.45 Huddersfield - Penistone was once an 08 and a BG, put on by the SM to cover a failed DMU after control refused a bus. It was monumentally late at Penistone but it got the day shift at Naylors to work at Denby Dale. 

Locos hauling dead DMUs or a scratch set of Mk1s were very common between Sheffield, Leeds and Huddersfield around 1988-90. One of the Castleford reversals was retimed to go direct via Altofts each afternoon to allow those collected at Sheffield during the day to be dragged back to Neville Hill. 

Edited by Wheatley
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Just once A BG got used via the Severn Tunnel with Station seats used - The fan was well and truely hit by Swindon  over crash resistance but at least the folk got home.   Several times the story goes a BG used Stoke Crewe  but that was back in the days of real service!    One LMR jaunt that did get a kicking was a Stafford - Crewe IIRC back cab lift for a family that missed a train - nobody would have wiser but an loco inspector met the driver and was aghast to see family disembark, I expect a postcard did not cover his comments...   

• Like 1