Diesel loco haul single passenger coach

class37418stag

The good old days ! The SM at Huddersfield in the dying days of the ER was John Hanton, his opposite number at Barnsley was David Selman. Both operated on the principle that they expected us to run the job, shout if we needed help, and tell Control afterwards. It worked very well. 

• RMweb Gold

I've seen pictures in the past of 27s hauling single coaches in Scotland in the 60s.

Would it possibly have been the Killin branch or that closed branch off the west highland ?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, russ p said:

I've seen pictures in the past of 27s hauling single coaches in Scotland in the 60s.

Would it possibly have been the Killin branch or that closed branch off the west highland ?

Killin usually loaded to a single coach, but pretty sure it was steam-worked up to the finish, Standard 4MT tank loco usually.

• Like 1

Certainly some trains on the Ballachulish line consisted a single coach, and quite often short Thompson non corridor brake. There is a very brief glimpse of a class 27 and BSK on the West Highland line, in the DVD A Line for All Seasons, it's TOPS era too. Another 70's West highland combo I've seen a picture of is cl 27 BCK & BG. Also out of Inverness after some major delay a green class 26, one MK1 TPO and a BCK both in maroon(Diesels in the Highlands Bradford Barton). Or D5122 plain green and one Thompson 6 compartment brake at Aberfeldy, April '65(On Highland Lines Ian Allan)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I was about to suggest the Aberfeldy branch being a well-known example, with a type 2 and an ex-LMS BCK.

I'm sure I've read the type 2 would work the Aberfeldy train then go off and work a goods trip, before doing the return passenger service

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On ‎15‎/‎12‎/‎2012 at 20:31, class37418stag said:

Hi everyone

Any diesel loco haul single passenger coach during 1990s while no available DMU ?

I am aware to think about buy mk1 gangway with single passenger coach

Thank you

there no doubt will have been the very odd instance of a single coach working, but you'd be perhaps more representative with at least two, and def three

Edited by 18B

D5336 at Aberfeldy with one coach and a brakevan https://www.ambaile.org.uk/detail/en/26762/1/EN26762-aberfeldy-station-d5336-jan-1965.htm difficult to ID the coach, it's a Thompson brake and looks to have 4 compartments.  The inclusion of a brakevan backs up the above comment.

Here's D5114 with an ex LMS BCK with two 4 wheel vans and a an ex LMS 20 ton Stanier Brakevan, scroll down 5th picture. https://www.ambaile.org.uk/detail/en/26762/1/EN26762-aberfeldy-station-d5336-jan-1965.htm

Anyway back to single coach trains, I'm pretty sure I've seen the odd class 22 with a single coach possible on the Moorswater branch.  

Edited by w124bob
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

3 pics of 1 train in Feb. 1964:

https://www.railscot.co.uk/img/22/268/

https://www.railscot.co.uk/img/38/747/

https://www.railscot.co.uk/img/22/538/

LMS-design coach due to the bogies and BS gangways - possibly a BSK due to the 2 sets of van doors?

I have in my mind colour pics similar to this but it was definitely commented that it was a BCK used - presumably there was at least one local important-enough worthy, to justify the provision of 1st. class on such a sparse service?

There were a couple of articles in one of the mags a while ago (Steam World ?) written by a chap who used to work at Aberfeldy. The normal service was a BT or BTK but there was a through coach on some services which was worked by the BCK. If I can find it I'll post details. In steam days the trains were worked as 'mixed' ie passengr coach plus string of goods wagons. 

• Like 1

On 05/07/2020 at 19:15, Robert Shrives said:

Just once A BG got used via the Severn Tunnel with Station seats used - 

Are you sure that was the Severn Tunnel area? 

I thought that occurred at Exeter St Davids. Maybe there was more than one similar incident? 

On 05/07/2020 at 18:03, class37418stag said:

Hello please excuse my English 

i has seen photo of class 47461 scotrail hauled single brake coach

how many people on seat inside brake coach

http://www.class47.co.uk/c47_zoom_v3.php?img=0925010284000

If that is a service train, and not a stock move; there would be seats for 32 passengers. 

9507 - Interior with Virgin Crosscountry coloured seating 24/03/08

14 hours ago, w124bob said:

..... I'm pretty sure I've seen the odd class 22 with a single coach possible on the Moorswater branch.  

You may be thinking of the photo of D6315 heading away from Perranporth with a single lined maroon Collett brake composite in June 1961 which appears on page 68 of John Vaughan's 'Diesel Days - Devon & Cornwall'. Most Cornish branch line services employed ex-GWR B Sets and at transition steam traction simply handed over to Class 22s, however the Chacewater - Newquay line used a motley collection of stock, including Colletts, Hawksworths, various ex-LMS vehicles (in the line's final years) and even loco-hauled autocoaches. Even so, a single-coach working seems to have been exceptional regardless of the motive power.

• Like 1

Not a DMU replacement, but in the 80s 1S81 2050 Carlisle-Perth consisted of two passenger and two postal vehicles. However, on Saturdays the postal vehicles were not conveyed, so the train was a BSK and a CK only. Class 81 to 85 to Mossend Yard, Type 2 diesel forward.

This is way back in the 1960s, but my mother used to go to bingo at the Gliderdrome Boston and would catch the last train (2-car class 114 or maybe 105) circa 2200, afterwards. 

Because we lived close to the line; one late evening I heard the sound of an accelerating Brush 2  and looked out the window to see it hauling a Mk1 BSK. Soon after, my mother arrived saying the usual train had broken down and she had had to wait xxx minutes before a replacement could be found. 

She was angry, but I was so jealous of her having travelled behind a 31+BSK. 

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, jonny777 said:

Are you sure that was the Severn Tunnel area? 

I thought that occurred at Exeter St Davids. Maybe there was more than one similar incident? 

Hi  Now retired I knew the staff member involved - he was still at BRI when retired just a bit up the ladder so no real harm done in the end but one not to be repeated in the Bristol Division given the top down flak.  I can well imagine it happened in several places with lots of hushing up as appropriate to the time.- Far too many elves loose these days.    

No coach loco only passenger well documented on the Blaenau - Bala route when coach declared a failure and engine only home but with two pass who turned up last minute, resulting in cosy ride in pannier cab.   

I guess not many single trains when brakeforce considerations were imposed on any daredevil plan,  A friend at work got the first VT funsize HST 2+2 running as nobody could find a rule saying it could not happen. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Robert Shrives said:

Hi  Now retired I knew the staff member involved - he was still at BRI when retired just a bit up the ladder so no real harm done in the end but one not to be repeated in the Bristol Division given the top down flak.  I can well imagine it happened in several places with lots of hushing up as appropriate to the time.- Far too many elves loose these days.    

No coach loco only passenger well documented on the Blaenau - Bala route when coach declared a failure and engine only home but with two pass who turned up last minute, resulting in cosy ride in pannier cab.   

I guess not many single trains when brakeforce considerations were imposed on any daredevil plan,  A friend at work got the first VT funsize HST 2+2 running as nobody could find a rule saying it could not happen. 

The Exeter St Davids version is written up in Railway Observer, but I can't remember which monthly issue. 

One reason I've seen given for the appearance of a diesel locomotive and single coach on some Scottish branches was it was covering for a failed railbus.

Edited by JeremyC

On 10/07/2020 at 15:06, JeremyC said:

One reason I've seen given for the appearance of a diesel locomotive and single coach on some Scottish branches was it was covering for a failed railbus.

Not unusual but not always the case, especially if it's a caption in a George O'Hara book (!). There are plenty of photos of loco+coach on the Aberfeldy branch, for example, but I've yet to see one of a railbus on there, the loco was the booked traction. However, if it's at Crieff, Dollar or somewhere between Kilmarnock and Barassie that's more likely.   

• RMweb Gold
On 15/12/2012 at 20:31, class37418stag said:

Any diesel loco haul single passenger coach during 1990s while no available DMU ?

Based on the evidence presented thus far, it would appear that the answer to your question is almost certainly “no”. 

Edited by Western Aviator

• RMweb Premium

On Virtual Railcam a few days back I saw an instance when three Amtrak Genesis locos (total of over 12000hp) were hauling three single deck passenger cars.

That's a ratio of 1 to 1. Does that count?:jester:

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1