Bachmann On30 Carbon Brushes for S25202

wcrpaul

I would be eternally grateful if anyone could point me to a source for carbon brushes for Bachmann's model S25202 motor as used in their American outline On30 2-6-0 (pls see link).
http://estore.bachma...products_id=189

The loco in question is running 24/7 in a local high street shop's Christmas window display! These brushes are **tiny** for what is effectively a 7mm scale motor - same diameter as an "N" scale Graham Farish brush but around 3 times the length. In fact, I have used Farish "N" brushes as a temporary fix, and the loco is back on duty delighting Christmas shoppers for the time being. I contacted Bachmann UK service without success. I was very surprised when they told me they don't stock spare brushes as I'd assumed these would be a consumable item.

Paul.

I was very surprised when they told me they don't stock spare brushes as I'd assumed these would be a consumable item.

Unfortunately, the idea of replacing carbon brushes seems to have died a death with the manufacturers, who seem to work on the basis that the whole motor gets replaced. However, hopefully someone out there in the real world can help with something suitable. I'm not sure of the diameter you require, but might a pencil refill cut to a suitable length do? I believe the graphite is actually a useful carbon substance

Hi andyman7 many thanks for the helpful reply and, yes, pencil graphite might well do. I just disected a hapless nearby example and measured its "lead" diameter at 2.01 mm. The Farish brushes I used for the temporary fix are 1.97 mm so I'm guessing the brush retaining tubes in the motor will turn out to be 2mm bore plus a bit of tolerance.

A pack of 12 x 100mm clutch pencil 2mm diam graphite refills can be bought off eBay for £2 + 75p post so it's definitely worth a try. Hmmm.... next question is whether to go for the HB or 2H variety ;-) Softer graphite will wear down more quickly whilst the harder might prove more brittle. I think I'll try 2H.

Paul.

Yay....! This On30 loco is now running successfully with brushes cut from Hellerman 2mm clutch pencil "leads" (2H variety). No change in performance. No apparent adverse effects so far. We shall see how quickly (or slowly) they wear....

Paul.

Archived