fiNetrax

Anglian

I’m edging towards ordering some! Thanks guys. I’ve built a length of Easitrack at a 2mm society demo stand - I guess the plain track is similar

Because I’ve only ever used Peco before I’m not familiar with the dimensions and terms A6, B7 etc. Are there any templates I can print anywhere?

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TomJ said:

I’m edging towards ordering some! Thanks guys. I’ve built a length of Easitrack at a 2mm society demo stand - I guess the plain track is similar

Because I’ve only ever used Peco before I’m not familiar with the dimensions and terms A6, B7 etc. Are there any templates I can print anywhere?

Hi Tom,

Wayne posted an image of the three turnout options on the NGF:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/gallery/81/906-010919120034-81035998.jpeg

He has also stated there yesterday:

I know I posted a picture of the 3 turnouts but please note that is only preliminary. It does take time to get these fully designed in CAD

HTH

Regards, Gerry.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TomJ said:

Wayne actually has a link to a printable template of each type at the bottom of each product page - e.g. https://www.britishfinescale.com/product-p/finetrax-turnout-a5.htm 

Roughly speaking, the letter refers to the length of the switch (lower the letter the shorter), and number is the crossing angle (e.g. 1 in 6, 1 in 7 etc.). So the shortest/tightest angle that you ever seem to get is A5, suitable only within goods yards or industrial settings etc., a B7 might be more of a 'main'line running line turnout. Modern higher speed mainlines would be even longer/gentler again - C10. 

I've never actually seen a direct comparison, but I'd guess an A5 is roughly equivalent to a PECO "medium" and a B7 is roughly equivalent to a PECO "long"? (in that PECO turnouts are generally shorter/sharper angled than scale).

The codes for concrete base turnouts are a bit different, but the kickstarter page has an FAQ that explains. Wayne just sent pictures of the new concrete based turnouts to people who have supported the kickstarter - the EV15 is more than twice as long as the Farish cl.37 posed next to it for scale!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, steam-driven boy said:

Hi Tom,

Wayne posted an image of the three turnout options on the NGF:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/gallery/81/906-010919120034-81035998.jpeg

He has also stated there yesterday:

HTH

Regards, Gerry.

Hi again,

Just after my last, Wayne posted on the NGF:

I will get downloadable printable templates up in a few days

For the new ones.

Regards, Gerry.

• Thanks 1

Wayne has posted an update to the Kickstarter page: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/britishfinescale/n-gauge-code-40-flat-bottom-rail-concrete-sleeper-turnouts/posts/2615616

- backers can choose between AV7, CV10, EV15 and left- right hand. combinations are possible

- AV8 is dropped, that is replaced with AV7

- pictures of the milled turnout bases are also shown, for all three options with a class 37 for comparison

And a quick look at how the Kickstarter progresses

minichart.png

It's leveling out currently, and there is still time to put your pledges in.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, McRuss said:

Hello,

I've got another question regarding finetrax. Are there any rail joiners available?

I haven't found them on their website.

Markus

Hi Markus,

I remember Wayne mentioned these a few times, the last I can find was from August '18 where he mentioned:

I do wish to get fish plates made but stamping tools are proving to cost just as much as the injection molding tools...

As they are often considered as not reliable enough for electrical continuity and soldering droppers is part and parcel of the turnout construction anyway I suspect there are higher priorities.

Alignment shouldn't be too much of a chore with care, cosmetic fish plates from the 2mmSA track shop 1(if you are a member) http://www.2mm.org.uk/products/shops.php?shop_num=1 might be adaptable(?).

Regards, Gerry.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, McRuss said:

Hello,

I've got another question regarding finetrax. Are there any rail joiners available?

I haven't found them on their website.

Markus

You're really better off without them - anything that is going to function like a PECO joiner is, as steam-driven-boy says not going to be a reliable enough electrical joint on smaller rail section, and is also going to ruin the appearance you're improving by using Finetrax in the first place. Just use a gauge and/or ruler to align rails when gluing them down, leave slight expansion/insulation gaps, and solder a dropper wire to every rail section - gives a much better result both in terms of reliability and appearance. 

What might be more helpful would be a version of the lost-wax brass cast version of the track bases that the 2mm Association sell. In fact, as you have to cut an insulation gap through them anyway, it wouldn't make any difference to use the 2mm Assoc. ones anyway. These give a much more discrete way of soldering electrical connections to your rails. 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi 

Well kick starter at 95% , hopefully this will pass the line in the next few days - thanks to all helping keep the current scene trackwork on the agenda! 

I have just seen samples of the track bases  and fliers for the kickstarter /flatbottomed railed turnouts and very good . Yes the long turnout is verrrrry loooong ! but also very strong and will be really rigid once rails added.   

Robert 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Wayne has now posted links to template downloads (courtesy NGF):

Regards, Gerry.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks so much for your support, guys! :)

The Kick starter was successfully funded at 124% over goal!

The new injection mould tool is now made and I have received the first batch of base plates for the flat bottom rail. Below are some pics of the tool and also the first completed 1in15 flat bottom turnout:

Thanks,
Wayne.

base plate tool complete.jpg

base plates01.jpg

base plates02.jpg

EV15_01.jpg

EV15_02.jpg

EV15_03.jpg

EV15_04.jpg

EV15_05.jpg

EV15_06.jpg

EV15_07.jpg

EV15_08.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

On 24/08/2019 at 11:52, Bomag said:

Unlike plainline concrete sleepers on S&C is very new - well the last 15 years. For most of the BR period we only had wooden bearers/sleepers with vertical FB track. Presumably the geometry is the same, it just needs a different base.

they were about in the 1990s as well as i rememberer installing one at south end of prestonpans station in 1995/96 

5 hours ago, jamespetts said:

I believe that British Finescale (Wayne) offers these in a black colour to represent turnouts with wooden bearers for the 1960s-1990s period. Indeed, this is what I have ordered for my Kickstarter reward.

Wayne offers Bullhead Wooden Sleepered track, and Flat Bottom Concrete Sleepered track. I don't think the FB track is available with black sleepers.

Regards,

John P

Edited by jpendle
Wrong colour
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, jpendle said:

Wayne offers Bullhead Wooden Sleepered track, and Flat Bottom Concrete Sleepered track. I don't think the FB track is available with black sleepers.

Regards,

John P

Not the plain track, but the turnouts are available in the same colour as the bullhead rail by request, I believe. I know because I backed the Kickstarter and requested this, and I was told that this could be accommodated.

Note that the turnouts have plain profile bearers which could plausibly be wood or concrete whereas the plain track with concrete sleepers has bearers which are sculpted in profile and could not plausibly be wooden sleepers. One might, of course, paint over this track if one were after flatbottom rail with wooden sleepers, although the sleeper shape would not be right on closer inspection.

This is significant as wooden sleeper turnouts with flatbottom rail were common for much longer than plain track with wooden sleepers and flatbottom rail.

Edited by jamespetts

• 1 year later...