New Hornby computer based DCC system - eLink

• RMweb Premium

The Railmaster software on your laptop or PC combined with the e-link interface is the command station or controller, you can also used certain mobile devices and tablets as throttles to control your trains and points from any position on your layout, this uses your internet router to communicate with Railmaster on your command station (computer) to send instructions via the elink then to the device you want to control whether it be a locomotive or switch a point change a signal etc. You will need to check whether your phone is compatible with the Railmaster app.

Hope this answers your question.

Jim

I'm just about to start experimenting with external devices away from the main control laptop PC. I have a Galaxy tablet and experia phone to set up.

I can't work out if I need a separate external wireless router, or if I can use the laptop as the router?

Any advice/pointers would be appreciated.

As it's for a exhibition layout, I'd like the setup to be stand alone away from my normal home broadband router

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

I'm just about to start experimenting with external devices away from the main control laptop PC. I have a Galaxy tablet and experia phone to set up.

I can't work out if I need a separate external wireless router, or if I can use the laptop as the router?

Any advice/pointers would be appreciated.

As it's for a exhibition layout, I'd like the setup to be stand alone away from my normal home broadband router

Cheers,

Mick

Hi Mick,

From my last dabble with this it would need a wifi router of it's own.

Connect the Main PC/LAPTOP running Railmaster to this wifi router unit.

You can then connect all other wifi devices to the router.

The wifi router connected to your master laptop won't be connected to the internet your just creating a closed network to link the other devices together.

Cheers

Ian

It does appear that Symbian devices are not compatible with the Railmaster app, so a Nokia N8 phone would not work.

I am also trying to get a TPlink mobile router/access point to work as a router to access the Railmaster server, there are 2 versions, one that is powered by USB or an external power supply and the version I have, a mains powered one that just plugs into a 13amp socket. It is very small compared  an ADSL router.

It has 4 modes WiFi extender, router, wifi access point and Ethernet access point/powerline adaptor. I am hoping to use this instead of the BT internet router. It has 2 Ethernet sockets so I am hoping to connect it to my laptop and use it as the router, if I can get it to work then perhaps it might be the answer for exhibition layouts?

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mick,

From my last dabble with this it would need a wifi router of it's own.

Connect the Main PC/LAPTOP running Railmaster to this wifi router unit.

You can then connect all other wifi devices to the router.

The wifi router connected to your master laptop won't be connected to the internet your just creating a closed network to link the other devices together.

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian,

Thanks for that.

A use for my old broadband router......

Cheers,

Mick

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have the elink and Railmaster. However it seems to very temparamental on my laptop which is new from last year using windows 8.

Each time I go to use it, a window pops up asking if I really want to run the program (unknown publisher), that obviously is windows 8 built in security features.

From there on it gets worse.

The eLink must always be connected to the same USB port each time you use, otherwise the program cannot find it.

I find this odd, because for all other devices (reflex camera for example), the supplied programs have no problem finding their respective device.

Even when you do connect to the same port, it is 50/50 chance the program will find it. I have followed the instructions to the letter ensuring the driver is up to date, but to no avail (in any case the device port has a different name to that in the instructions)

Once you are connected, you can finally run trains. But even here it is buggy. For example any sound that can last for a long duration can fail stop. You click sound on, carry out some operations, click sound off and it remains indefinitely. I was obliged to cut power to the elink to cease the noise.

The mobile device feature was another reason I brought it. However instead of a neat app to download from the apple App Store,you connect to the internet.

the app works directly from the server, meaning if I take the iPad to an expo out of wifi range, it won,t function.

It says download time is 2 minutes, I succeeded in downloading it once and that took 45 minutes.

After downloading, impossible to make the link with version on the PC.

Overall, it is cheap yes, but not easy to exploit nor very reliable (on recent OS and hardware at least)

• 2 weeks later...

A question for all you eLink users.

In the May edition of Hornby magazine there is a supplement DCC handbook.

On page 7 - DCC Concepts Cobalt decoder it states

'DCC concepts cobalt accessory decoder is now supported by Hornby's eLink and Railmaster.'

This suggests that some accessory decoders might not be supported although I can't think why as they just pick up switch commands from the DCC signal on the track to throw the point. Does this suggest that the Hornby eLink/ Railmaster system isn't 100% compatible with the NMRA standard?

I was going to get hold of an eLink/Railmaster to have a play with but if it's not going to drive my accessory decoders of which I have a few from different manufacturers I won't bother.

• RMweb Gold

I can't say anything about some of the Accessory Decoders(AD) but I have got the Elite to work with the SMD82 AD and the Cobalt Digital point motors.

I have programmed these from the Elite and RailMaster, with no issues.

You just need to make sure you program them as requested in the DECODER manuals.

I was initially trying to program the Cobalt Digital following the Hornby Instructions and NOT the Cobalt instructions!

The Hornby Instructions explain how to program the Hornby accessory decoder, most other makes of accessory decoder just want you put it in to set up or learn mode then operate a point using the address number required.

I can't see why some wouldn't be supported.

Having just looked at RailMaster after creating the track layout and inserting the points, it asks which controller will be used. In my case controller A which is what the Elite is connected as.

It then asks for decoder port number from 1-2048 so this will be the address you want that point to be set at.

It then asks for the type and it's a drop down list which at the moment V1.55 ists the following:-

Hornby R8247 4-Port Decoder

Hornby R8216 4-POrt Decoder

ESU Switch Pilot 4-port decoder

Digitrax DS64 4-port decoder

Gaugemaster DCC30 4-port Decoder

Lenz LS100 4-port decoder

Lenz LS150 6-port decoder

NCE Snap-it Single port decoder

I think this is confusing and there needs to be an OTHER or GENERIC type in the list.

I just used the NCE Snap-it single port decoder so I can program any port number with any address I want.

I will send an email via RailMaster to see if there is anything else that happens by selecting one of the above mentioned accessory decoders.

The above is what happens when in the Track editor and after you select the point operating buttons.

There is also an icon at the top of the page though and clicking on this gives a picture of the type of accessory decoder used.

These are the ones that are in the list and have been fully tested to work OK and have already been  set up with what functions are available within that particular type of accessory decoder.

So I think it's just a case of if it's not listed it will still work but not using the quick link icon to set up the decoder ports ETC.

So for example if I click on the accessory decoder ICON at the top of the screen and select ESU Switch Pilot a picture is shown of the accessory decoder each of the 4 ports and the pulse duration of each port there is also a tick box that you can select which will give a permanent output for lights etc.

It also gives a note at the bottom which says connect to PROG output to program and also connect power.

So this is a quick way to set each address and the pulse output for each port or if you want an always on output for lights.

It also tells you to connect it to the PROG output(that would be on the Elite or (E-LINK) for programming, I take it that this one uses a separate power supply as well.

Yes if this wasn't in the list I'm sure you can set this up by adjusting CV's but it would obviously take longer to do, I think thats what the difference is.

Cheers

Ian

• RMweb Gold

I've had a reply from RailMaster support.

They didn't want to use a Generic option as apparently this would cause confusion as some decoders need to be connected to the program output of the controller be it the Elite or E-link, but some decoders need to be connected to the main track output.

There is going to be another RailMaster update soon which will include another 30 accessory decoders!

Basically you can use any accessory decoder, what the software guys are doing is testing the decoders and writing into RailMaster what they can and can't do, so it's quicker and easier to program them.

The fact I can program and use a Team Digital SMD82 says it all.

I doubt they would include all the possible functions of the SMD82 though within RailMaster, that accessory decoder can do so much!!

But even if it's just a basic window that pops up which allows you to quickly change the output pulses or even select between coil or slow action output that would be good.

Cheers

Ian

A rider to this topic.   For the past two years I have been using the Elite/Railmaster combination to operate Traintronics TT300 slow action point motors with built in decoders without any problems. During initial set up I select the Hornby R8247 4-Port Decoder in the Railmaster point settings box. 

Currently I have 36 TT300s operating successfully on my Pwllheli layout with the Elite and Railmaster.

• 3 weeks later...

It took me some time to figure out how to program an ESU SwitchPilot with RailMaster, but actually the solution is there within RailMaster and after consulting the SwitchPilot manual it all makes sense.

If you take heed of the instructions in the popup window that appears when you wish to program this decoder it works.

Advice with accessory decoders is to use a separate power supply instead of using the dcc bus for power. This advice is true especially if you are using the 1amp power supply provided with the Elink, but for programming the power supply needs to be disconnected and a temporary connection setup to the Elink.

Now going back to the pop-up window it tells you to connect the SwitchPilot directly to the Elink using Pwr A/B on the SwitchPilot to Track output on the Elink then Trk A/B to Program output on the Elink.

For this you obviously disconnect the power supply leads from the SwitchPilot, until you have programmed the SwitchPilot, then re-connect once complete. You need to have a load connected to the SwitchPilot so a point motor connected to output one would do it.

The ESU manual also states that both the program and track unputs need to be connected to the command station program output to program the decoder, but I find the instructions in RailMaster works very well and I would follow that.

My reason for posting this is to help those who seem to have problems with the SwitchPilot and RailMaster, but if you carefully the instructions in the pop-up window then you should be able to program this decoder.

Having tried other PC based dcc programs but I would say that RailMaster is one of the most straightforward to use, although I am using a Sprog and JMRI to program some decoder features, but with all the RailMaster improvements in the pipeline will probably just end up using RailMaster.

RailMaster does have it's critics mainly those who have not used it, probably because it has the Hornby name on it so must be rubbish. In fact it is not Hornby themselves developing the program and I am sure those that are, will be putting a lot of effort into creating one the best train control programs for the price, yes it does cost but compared to some other commercial offerings is reasonably priced. JMRI is great especially as it is free but probably too complicated to use for the average person, even RailMaster may be too much for someone who just wants to run trains, but Hornby have the Select and Elite as an alternative without using RailMaster.

Jim

• RMweb Gold

Has anyone used the software with a select or elite unit? If so do you have any comments?

It only works with the Elite......at the moment anyway.

Yes it works fine, the Elite is doing the same thing as the Elink, but if there is a software or PC fault you can just control the trains using the Elite controller.

I have two Selects connected to the Elite and the Elite connected to the Laptop, all runs OK.

Only have issues when the kids playing with the layout at exhibitions try and do many things at once, like operate points and change locos and everything else you could possibly imagine, just a power cycle sorts it all out though.

Cheers

Ian

I run RM with an Elite as controller A looking after locos and an eLink as controller B looking after points. It all works wonderfully well.

As the Select has no USB interface it can only be used as a slave to an Elite for use with RM.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone

I am brand new to this forum and site.

I live in Australia. I am just setting up a layout for first time.

Just purchase Majestic (Hornby) set which contains Elink.

Took me a while to set up. I didn't set up the Majestic track just simply a loop around my layout. Finally got trains running.

2 Locos on track. Don't have independent control of Locos. Both Locos do the same thing exactly. Only one loco control working although Railmaster shows 2 Locos listed. Also when FORWARD is selected, trains go in reverse even when you turn them around they go in reverse. Tried to alter 'reverse direction' on the screen but cannot get locos going forward or reverse correctly. Also reversed terminal connections. Same result.

How do get independent control of each loco so I can have 2 Locos running and separately controlled on parallel tracks?

I know for some of you this may be basic but not for me yet. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Welcome to Rmweb.Sounds to me like the decoders in both of the locos are set to the same address. You will need to connect a track time the programming output of the Elink. You will then need to place one of the locos on this track and follow the instructions in the railmaster instructions to change its address. The default address that both decoders are set to is probably 3. Also check that you have not built a consist with the two locos as this would give the same problem that you describe. Hope this helps.

Once you have allocated new addresses to your locos then you can change the forward/reverse direction by way of a tick box in the loco setup screen.

In DCC forwards is forwards whichever way you put the train on the track, unlike DC where you are effectively switching polarity by turning a loco round.

I saw red mist trying to step through the never ending instructions and compatibility limitations for installing the Railmaster app on a portable device.

I have ended up just using a remote control program called Teamviewer (free for personal use) to get the device (a cheap Amazon tablet) to talk to the desktop computer and control Railmaster from there. The desktop (as master) is assigned a unique ID. Each time you run Teamviewer on the desktop, a new unique pin code is also generated, both are entered running the Teamviewer app on the tablet to basically remote control the desktop. Both need to be on the internet. It works well, subject to the Wifi connection of course. The e-link is a clever system but no amount of touchscreen will be able to replace a dial to give the preferred level of dexterity for doing shunting / coupling moves. If you just want to make things go and stop in roughly the right place - it is great.

• 2 weeks later...

I've always had major problems (will not complete initial connection) with eLink on the blue USB3 ports has anyone managed it?

I find if connecting through a USB2 hub, it works or by using a USB2 port.

By works, I mean the computer finds the eLink at start up 85% of the times, which seems as good as it gets! You do feel more development is needed on their USB interface!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I am planning to buy a eLink. I am running Kato Unitrack and Kato Turnouts.

Kato turnouts are only compatible with slow motion motors so I looked online and DS64 Digitrax stationary decoder is compatible. however, my concern is will this decoder work with eLink? as I have read eLink normally take Hornby default decoders.

Many Thanks

AK.

One of the Hornby accessory decoders can be set to continuous output albeit limited in current draw so maybe your DS64 will be OK.

You could ask on the Hornby forum if anyone has used it - shaky though the forum is at present after a makeover.

I know some people have used slo-mo motors successfully with Railmaster. 

Archived