New Hornby computer based DCC system - eLink

• RMweb Gold

Hi Pete

Yes it can.

When you open up RailMaster click on the question mark tab at the top of the screen and look at the bottom of the pop up window that appears.

There is a picture of the world, click on this and a News Update window will appear telling you of all the latest releases to do with RailMaster.

Scroll down and it will give you a link to download the instructions and also links of where to get the wireless app.

Cheers

Ian

Many thanks for your thoughts on this.

My hunch was to keep my Elite at present, and wait to hear how successfully the eLink works using iPhones etc. At least I would have a usable system even if the phone batteries go flat during a session !

At present, can an iPhone or similar be used via wireless with my current set up Elite+ Railmaster+PC ????

Peter...

• RMweb Gold

After a lot of testing and help from RailMaster support the communications between tablet and PC is now stable.

As there are so many tablets out there mine still had an issue with the rendering and although my Chinese Clone says it's a 7" tablet it's not really!!

I have no idea how all these manufacturers can end up with so many variations on a measurement but there you go.

Fair play to RailMaster support they looked into it and saw that some of the Chinese clone tablets were becoming very popular so they bought one to get the rendering correct, unfortunately mine was still different!

So I sent them my tablet to RailMaster support so they could set it up correctly and it's come back perfect, screen shot below shows how it now looks on screen:-

post-6745-0-87366500-1357995179.jpg

As it's still only the trial version you can only operate 2 locos and 4 points.

If you have a layout where there are more than 4 points, the point operation buttons will have a little yellow dot next to them showing which ones you can use in the trial version.

The dots can be seen in the above photo, and also the one below which shows a much bigger layout, and yes you can zoom into this as well on the tablet.

post-6745-0-15406000-1357995582.jpg

When you press the buttons the pressed button will light up and this all displays correctly on the PC running RailMaster.

On my version the slide speed control doesn't quite work as a slide, you have to double tap it to bring the speed up, but it is being worked on!

Having had replies from RailMaster support past 10 O'clock at night last week they are trying very hard to get this right and were still tweaking things and asking me to download the next version!!

Cheers

Ian

EDIT:- to add correct photos!

I have only just heard about this new Hornby product and it sounds quite interesting. I have been considering upgrading from my Hornby Select and have considered lots of options, but most of them way over my budget. I have most recently been interested by the various options available to control locos (and maybe points) via android tablets and iPads, so this new offering may well be a solution for under £100. I may download the Railmaster demo to have a look, although I guess I can't try it out as I don't have an Elite controller.

Many thanks to Ian (Traction) for the screenshots and reviews.

Dave

This looks very useful and maybe the way forward, I am already using an Elite & Railmaster and look forward to trying it out with the new apps, hopefully they will continue to support the Elite & build the systems to be fully compatible.

• RMweb Gold

As an update, the tablet version is now V1.11 this time last week it was V1.08

They are working very hard to make sure it's ready for the full release in Feb.

The communications are now very stable with my tablet after a further update of RailMaster PC and the latest tablet version.

The slider is also more responsive, still requires a tap but much better.

I've read that on some shops in Australia they are actually listing the Hornby part numbers for the loco detection equipment so that could be available soon, although that is pushing it a bit with Hornby's record.

I would suggest you download the evaluation version of RailMaster PC have a play with it using a pretend layout, then if you have a tablet or smart phone follow the instructions and install it to the wireless device and have a play.

You can use both evaluation versions for about 90 days but are limited to 4 points and 2 locos.

Have fun!

Cheers

Ian

As an update, the tablet version is now V1.11 this time last week it was V1.08

They are working very hard to make sure it's ready for the full release in Feb.

The communications are now very stable with my tablet after a further update of RailMaster PC and the latest tablet version.

The slider is also more responsive, still requires a tap but much better.

I've read that on some shops in Australia they are actually listing the Hornby part numbers for the loco detection equipment so that could be available soon, although that is pushing it a bit with Hornby's record.

I would suggest you download the evaluation version of RailMaster PC have a play with it using a pretend layout, then if you have a tablet or smart phone follow the instructions and install it to the wireless device and have a play.

You can use both evaluation versions for about 90 days but are limited to 4 points and 2 locos.

Have fun!

Cheers

Ian

Hi Folk

I downloaded the iPhone app  it took a few days before i could get it working , that was 3 days ago

it worked after a fashion, but then it was ony a beta anyway

today i fire the layout up and now find the iPhone app wont work anymore

tried deleting it and reloading , bt still no go

start with port 30 then starts cyling through others,  gets to 34 then every thing stops;   just sits there doing nothing

will give it a few more days and try again

its very frustrating as the apps for Withrottle,iRoc, and touch cab all work first time no problems

Rgds

Mike

its not as iff Hornby are inventing something new

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike, have you tried downloading and installing the latest RailMaster version?

It's not a full release as yet, but try the following link to download it and see if that helps< i know they have been tweaking the apps and the PC software to get the comms to be stable.

I tired mine a few minutes ago....on an Andriod tablet and that is working fine.

www.powerpos.com/rail-master/rm_setup145.exe

Cheers

Ian

Using Ian's link I downloaded Railmaster tonight to have a look. I also downloaded the android app on a Nexus7 and the iPad app. As I said before I don't have an Elite so can't physically try it out but was able to have a play with the software at least.

The PC side of the software looked Jo. Still need to play around with creating a layout of my own on it but using the sample layout it was easy to see how it all worked. Setting up locos seemed a little fiddly and as quick as I set one up another seemed to disappear, although that may just have been me. The Nexus7 app downloaded and installed fine. I changed the IP address on it to point to my PC and a few seconds later the layout appeared on the Nexus. Pressed on some points on the Nexus and almost instantly the PC screen also changed.

However the iPad app did not work at all. It installed but whenever I tried to change the IP address the program just locked up. I deleted and reinstalled, rebooted the iPad, but nothing fixed it.

So the jury is out at the moment, especially as my main controller would actually be my iPad.

Will let you know if I get it working.

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Dave send the guys at RailMaster an email with the exact problems you are having as they will do their best to sort them out.

The RailMaster App is still in Beta at the moment but they want it spot on before release in Feb so any of these bugs or issues they need to know about so they can get them fixed.

Cheers

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Despite emailing support on 20th Jan, I have not had a reply or even an acknowledgment.

I have also tried the software on another iPad and it didn't work on that one either (different problem) so I'm not too confident about this now.

app downloaded for Ipad, down to the shed to give it a go then will report back later with news of how it goes, I am not absolutly certain it will work as I only have Railmaster & Elite but I have seen reports it is compatible without e-link

app downloaded for Ipad, down to the shed to give it a go then will report back later with news of how it goes, I am not absolutly certain it will work as I only have Railmaster & Elite but I have seen reports it is compatible without e-link

I assume you will need the Elite attached to a PC running Railmaster demo and the iPad connected to the PC via wi-fi for it to work without the eLink?

Let me know how you get on.

Is there any information yet on how the e-Link will connect to the computer?

Will it be a serial or USB connection? Or will it be a wired or wireless device in it's own right and connect as a device on a local network via Ethernet or wirelessly?

All I can see from the Hornby publicity pictures are a power cable to it (presumably from some sort of transformer), and two outputs, one for the track bus and one for a programming track, presumably?

It would appear to provide much the same functionality as a Sprog with the addition of a programming track output.

Is there any information yet on how the e-Link will connect to the computer?

Will it be a serial or USB connection? Or will it be a wired or wireless device in it's own right and connect as a device on a local network via Ethernet or wirelessly?

Here is an image showing eLink connected to a laptop and the track.

Serial connection ?????

They went out with the Ark Mike. They haven't featured on new computers for years.

It will be a USB link and a USB cable is supplied with the eLink + RailMaster package.

From my limited understanding, you don't need a wireless network connection to operate via RailMaster on a computer screen.

You need an internet connection to register and set up, but only for software updates after that.

A wireless network will be required if making use of "smart devices" as control throttles (Android, iOS etc).

In its simplest form, all that's required is a PC/laptop, eLink and a layout.

It would appear to provide much the same functionality as a Sprog with the addition of a programming track output.

Except for the software which runs on the hardware.  And that software determines what you can do on the screen and what you see.  

At present, the Hornby device uses Hornby's Railmaster software.   If you like it, wonderful.  If not, then the Elink is a poor choice for you.

If the laptop is running Windows-7, then the free "Connectify" software may work on your laptop, allowing it to be an access point for other devices (ie. smartphones to connect to the Railmaster software).

At present, the Sprog runs JMRI software.  Again, if you like it, wonderful.  If not, then the Sprog is a poor choice for you. 

There is discussion on the JMRI developer's email list about supporting the Elink device, but until there is a published interface specification, its going to be hit-and-miss on connecting the Elink.  It may end up like the Elite, which "sort of" works with JMRI on the assumption that the Elite implements Xpressnet as per Lenz devices.  The reality is the Elite "sort of" implements Xpressnet, but exhibits a number of bugs making the Elite work at the poorer end of JMRI compatibility.   (I've spent a fair bit of time debugging Elite's with JMRI).

- Nigel

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

According to some retailers the E-Link with RailMaster software is due this quarter, not sure about when the train sets with E-Link are available.

I don't think you need a booster, although I think you can use any.

It comes with the 1amp power supply, but you can add replace it with the Hornby 4amp power supply if you need more power.

Cheers

Ian

Me too, although as Hornby tech support never bothered to reply to my request for help with the trial version maybe it's a good thing that it has gone back to give them time to fix the bugs?

Disappointed though as SWMBO was going to get it for my birthday in April (although she didn't actually know she was!) lol

• RMweb Gold

Me too, although as Hornby tech support never bothered to reply to my request for help with the trial version maybe it's a good thing that it has gone back to give them time to fix the bugs?

Disappointed though as SWMBO was going to get it for my birthday in April (although she didn't actually know she was!) lol

Thats Very odd, as they are very quick to respond if you have problems.

You did send the email to Railmaster support:-  support@rail-master.com

If you sent it to the usual Hornby support it takes ages and may not even get sent through.

If you have a problem with RailMaster or the Handheld app you normally get a response very fast from the Rail-master email address.

Cheers

Ian

• 3 weeks later...

Definately keep the Elite, the E-link appears to be simply an Elite without the control knobs as already stated, this has obviously made a big difference to production costs so the E-link can be produced at a much lower price. As I am still waiting like everyone else for my E-Link plus Railmaster to arrive so I thought I would just play around with the demo.  

The software is a bit garish ( I work with computers so see lots of different programs ) but if it works then it is not a problem for me.

I think the real problem Hornby are going to come up against, is that this is going to be sold to the man in the street as the next big thing in model railways so buy one of the "trainsets" which include the E-Link and Railmaster get it out of the box and find they need a computer before they can get it working because they were not aware of this. No problem if you already understand this or already have a DCC system and mastered a good understanding of digital train control (I started with Zero One, then Bachmann E-Z Command and on to Bachmann Dynamis with Pro Box which has just been sold to make way for E-link!).

The instruction manual tells you to start getting into USB baud rates etc, not a problem for me I have been sorting out computer problems for over 25 years, and most of you out there will also be conversant with this kind of terminology, someone who buys one of the trainsets to give to their child or grandchild is going to be confronted with setting things up on a computer and unlike setting up a printer or plugging in an ISP router, it is suddenly going to be ever so slightly difficult so I hope the Hornby support is going to be up to the job. It is most likely that you simply load up the software then plug in your e-Link and away you go, at least that is how it should be and for Hornby's sake I hope so.

I had to help someone with setting up a ZTC 511 as he had nearly given up trying to get to grips with it and was thinking of sending it back. He previously operated his trains with a Zero One setup. The thing that really stumped him and me initially was the user manual, if you could get into the mind of the person who wrote it all started make sense and in the end we had trains running, it is a good and unique controller (if a bit dated) if you have the time to read the manual over and over.

Another thing which is going to be beyond the average user is setting up a PDA,Tablet or phone as a wireless throttle. Going by the instructions in the Railmaster Handheld Guide the Railmaster software has as part of it program a server to facilitate the operation of a wireless PDa etc a static IP address has be set up on the computer running the main software. To me this is for obvious reasons and so I did as per the instructions and managed to get a cheap Android tablet to at least talk to the main Rail Master software, but as someone has already mentioned the screen had bits missing so more work required there.

The answer I believe would have been if the E-Link had an ethernet socket instead of relying on USB which requires software to drive it, and the E-Link would have its own IP address which would be found via your Wi Fi router so no need for a static IP address for the PC, this would also mean that the computer running the Railmaster software could be sited in another room if required and connected through powerline adaptors  rather than in the garage which is where my layout is.

I look forward to getting the E-Link, I did think of getting the Sprog and JMRI software but got the Dynamis instead, which despite some design issues did the job up to a point, however Bachmann are stuck with a dead end unless they and ESU come up with a Elite/E-Link style add-on to the Dynamis for computer control, perhaps they have a surprise up their sleeve but need to be quick as Hornby are now way ahead if E-Link is a success (with some reservations as above).

Hornby dealers are going to need to be completely up to speed on this as far as product knowledge goes, which is why I am getting in now with E-Link if they don't know perhaps I will could be another bow to my computer repair and troubleshooting business!  

Archived