New Hornby computer based DCC system - eLink

I think you're right about how much effort will be required to get a train set running with this... perhaps it would be better if it wasn't sold with train sets at all. If the Elite controller can be used as interface between Railmaster and the layout then trainsets can continue to be sold with that, and Railmaster bought afterwards.

Having to give the PC a static IP address to use the iOS/Android apps is really poor. They'd better change that before release!

I've read in a few places now that Android is a real pain to write apps for due to the myriad screen sizes and resolutions so we can't give them too much stick if the Android displays aren't always perfect. It would be nice if they are, but this seems to be a big problem for Android devs.

• RMweb Premium

Hornby announced that they were to demonstrate e-link at ally pally.

http://www.Hornby.com/news/Hornby-set-to-wow-crowds-at-alexandra-palace-with-latest-digital-gadgets/

Has anyone seen the demo?

Impressions please!

I saw the demo on Saturday. I have no experience of the system (I use Bachmann Dynamis DCC). I was impressed mainly by what seems to be in the pipeline. The speaker was keeping new features close to his chest. He revealed that a track occupancy system would be available and it would be inexpensive. I asked whether a combination of track occupancy and multiple speakers would be available as a cheaper alternative to sound fitted engines - he politely declined to reply, implying watch this space.  I would like to add sound to my layout, but the cost would be prohibitive - so I for one remain hopeful this might offer an economic solution

whether a combination of track occupancy and multiple speakers would be available as a cheaper alternative to sound fitted engines

Now that is a sensible option.

If you can tell which loco is where, then theoretically you can port across an appropriate sound file to that sectors speaker, so a generic steam soundfile could follow a loco round the layout, ditto diesel, etc...

Now that is a sensible option.

If you can tell which loco is where, then theoretically you can port across an appropriate sound file to that sectors speaker, so a generic steam soundfile could follow a loco round the layout, ditto diesel, etc...

You can buy it today....   SurroundTraxx hardware by SoundTraxx does it,  as does the sound add-on to Freiwald's TrainController, or for the DIY'er there are the elements to do it within JMRI.   And there are others.

- Nigel

• RMweb Premium

You can buy it today....   SurroundTraxx hardware by SoundTraxx does it,  as does the sound add-on to Freiwald's TrainController, or for the DIY'er there are the elements to do it within JMRI.   And there are others.

- Nigel

Indeed, but I think the difference now will be a straight forward and accessible product at a reasonable price (which may or may not have all the features of the existing products). I think crucially it will have enough UK market presence to ensure readily available sounds for British engines.

• RMweb Gold

If you have the RailMaster software, on the layout design page, click on the points as though you were going to add one, but in that box there is a few different icons to pick.

One is for the detector, select this and put it on the track.

When you click on the detector symbol to select which port it's on you get a whole load of possible options which can be activated when this particular detector is triggered.

So even though the detector system isn't out yet, the software is ready for it when it becomes available, this at least gives you an idea of what can be done.

It's looking very good indeed.

Cheers

Ian

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

E-link availability was to be during Q1 but delivery date is now likely to be June (presumably 2013)

I've just had an email indicating that a well known retailer is expecting it in stock around 3 June 2013.

Cheers,

Mick

Currently I'm running a little DC layout but would like to move to e-link for my next, bigger project.  I'm using non-Hornby 12v LED signals and lighting at the moment.  Does anyone know if e-link/railmaster will be able to control these style of lights or do you have to buy Hornby's own products?

Currently I'm running a little DC layout but would like to move to e-link for my next, bigger project.  I'm using non-Hornby 12v LED signals and lighting at the moment.  Does anyone know if e-link/railmaster will be able to control these style of lights or do you have to buy Hornby's own products?

In theory, any DCC system will be able to address commands to any accessory decoder.

It would be more a question of whether a particular accessory decoder would be a suitable match for those particular signals and lights.

i.e. find a suitable match.

The issue for multiple aspect colour light signals, would be whether the layout control software (RailMaster) can automatically run the correct sequences, or display all the manual selection options.

Unless Hornby do something very silly...   The Hornby systems to date have all been "DCC", so will control DCC decoders from any manufacture.   You will need some sort of accessory decoder for the signals, but they should work.

However, with colour light signals and the Elite and a computer there can be problems.  My experience of the Elite with non Hornby software was that the Elite cannot cope with a rapid sequence of instructions and will randomly loose some of those instructions (I could go into horribly messy details).  So, if your instructions were "turn off green" followed very closely with "turn on red", what you saw on the signal may be "red", "green", "nothing" or "both".  Whether you will encounter this problem will depend on the type of accessory decoder used and the way your signals are wired.    My solution (for someone else whose layout I was wiring) was to get a different maker's system for the signalling system. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. Good to be aboard :)

Seeing the new New Hornby computer based DCC system - eLink that uses a computer to control and record train movements and possible "occupancy" detect. I thought I might like to design a DCC Tram layout using Kato or Tomytec. This would (I hope) allow trams to back-up as in real life.

I have decided to use Kato N Gauge Unitrack for ease of laying and I notice the electric turnouts are 12v DC and need a pulse to change direction. Each turnout is supplied with a  "Turnout Control Switch" So, my question is. How would the eLink software be able to control the turnouts? Or is the control only for Hornby turnouts?

Thanks!

The kato points /DCC decoder problem has been discussed on the web and on this board

There is a dedicated mini decoder

http://www.digitrax.com/products/stationary-decoders/ds51k1/

Double crossover

if you're going to use DCC, you now have three choices to program your Kato double crossovers; the Lenz LS-150, the Digitrax DS-52 and the Digitrax DS-64;

You can get them in the UK ? DCC concepts

Elite /railmaster will than treat them as ordinary point decoders

try traintrax.co.uk for track- good prices.

Nick R

Thanks so much for your reply.

The problem was I did not know what to look for so could not search the web or this forum. Now I know. I can put my research skills to use.

Lets hope the eLink program will be a winner. Certainly sounds like it could be :)

Thanks again!

• 1 month later...

Anyone know when E-Link is to be available? 

At the Christmas announcement, they said it was a matter of weeks from release. Q1 being the official line.

We're less than two weeks from Q3 now !

Surely this can't be put down to problems with their Chinese suppliers too?

What's the best price anyone has found for elink? I can see the big online retailers are showing it at around £68 but I am sure I originally found it at £57 but cant remember where now as it was so long ago!

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

So at its simplest level, if I attach the track wires from my model railway to eLink, and connect eLink wirelessly to a tablet PC or handheld device running Railmaster, that's all I need to run a DCC-equipped engine up and down? No additional controllers or other pieces of equipment?

If the engine has a sound decoder, will all its functions be available?

My E-Link arrived this morning - it works.

In my opinion the Railmaster software is not exactly intuitive but have had locos running on a test oval with a mix of trial and error and occasional reference to the manual.

It won't replace my ZTC511 yet but I'm sure it will do eventually.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Basically YES to your questions.

Although, I think the Elink connects to the laptop via a cable only, the laptop running the full version of RailMaster.

This will then control your layout just as a standard controller would.

You can then buy & download the RailMaster app to use on a tablet or handheld device, which would then be wireless.

Cheers

Ian

So at its simplest level, if I attach the track wires from my model railway to eLink, and connect eLink wirelessly to a tablet PC or handheld device running Railmaster, that's all I need to run a DCC-equipped engine up and down? No additional controllers or other pieces of equipment?

If the engine has a sound decoder, will all its functions be available?

Archived