New Hornby computer based DCC system - eLink

elink landed in my local shop thiws afternoon, and was creating a bit of a buzz. h'ed ordered two off, and both sold out within a couple pf hours in the shop. I expressed an interest but will lurk on here and await reviews before comitting.

• RMweb Gold

You can actually download and try RailMaster before buying, you will just be limited to two locos and I think 4 points until you buy it.

This is the link for the latest version, taken from the Hornby Forums:-

www.powerpos.com/rail-master/rm_setup151.exe

This will give the full program, obviously you can't do much with only 2 locos and 4 points.

Also you won't be able to do much controlling of anything unless you have a Hornby Elite or the E-Link connected to the track!

The E-Link just replaces the Elite.

The RailMaster software is now the DCC controller and will do everything a DCC controller will do.

If you like it, then just buy E-link, which comes with the RailMaster software, although the above version is probably more up to date than that in the box!

What you will get when buying the E-Link and software together is the License key, just type this into the Software and it's fully unlocked.

The instruction manual is a PDF in the RailMaster folder that gets created on install.

Just make sure that when you install the software you do so as Administrator and run it as administrator or you could get issues.

Cheers

Ian

EDIT:- The E-Link doesn't actually replace the Elite!! It's used instead of!

I have the Elite and can use the control knobs on that if required, or use RailMaster, lots of choices!!

I'm looking forward to somebody putting a "hands on" review on YouTube so I can have a proper look at it. I'm still really tempted.

The e-link unit is just a black plastic boxabout 4"x4"  with a USB socket for connection to a PC, connectors to the main track, connectors to the programming track, a power supply socket and a green LED to show the unit is powered.

That's it.

The Railmaster software on the PC is the controller and if you want to have a look you can download it free for a 30 day trial period.

Ian

• RMweb Premium

So at its simplest level, if I attach the track wires from my model railway to eLink, and connect eLink wirelessly to a tablet PC or handheld device running Railmaster, that's all I need to run a DCC-equipped engine up and down? No additional controllers or other pieces of equipment?

What's the current output capability of an e-link? I've looked around on the Hornby website, but to no avail - all it says is a 1-amp transformer, but if this is at 240v input, that equates to more than 10A at typical DCC voltages. (Bearing in mind that I may a have a reasonable number of sound fitted locos to drive)

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

The transformer that comes with the E-Link is a 1 amp output.

It's a cheap plug in the wall type, that converts the 240v down to 16vac max output 1amp.

You can also use the Elite power supply which gives 4amps output to run more locos.

Cheers

Ian

What's the current output capability of an e-link? I've looked around on the Hornby website, but to no avail - all it says is a 1-amp transformer, but if this is at 240v input, that equates to more than 10A at typical DCC voltages. (Bearing in mind that I may a have a reasonable number of sound fitted locos to drive)

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Would be grateful if someone can clarify how an ipod/ipad (with the app installed) will communicate with the e-link?

To start with you have to have a windows PC running railmaster which is connected to your elink.  To connect other devices to control trains eg tablets/iphones etc you need to ensure that your pc is connected to a local wireless network. (eg your internet router and home network). These hand held devices then connect to the elink via your pc. 

• RMweb Gold

The box contains one e-Link unit, one power supply for the unit, a USB cable, set of leads for connection to the track, and a Railmaster installation disk with an activation code.

As far as I can tell at this stage if you want to use a handheld wireless device such as ipod/ipad you'll need to connect this to the internet and download the correct software for it.

It appears there will be a fee for activating Railmaster on the handheld unit, but the on-screen notes don't make this absolutely clear.

If I was looking for a new DCC controller, I'd be looking very seriously at eLink. It seems to offer many of the advantages of the Roco Z21 but at a fraction of the price. It is a pity that Hornby don't supply the 4 Amp PSU as standard. I wonder if Hornby will start giving customers the choice of Select or eLink in their DCC starter sets?

So to control your railway at an exhibition using a handheld device with eLink you'd also need your PC/laptop and router there, connecting the router to the internet via an ISP? Or could you set it up as a local network without using an ISP?

So to control your railway at an exhibition using a handheld device with eLink you'd also need your PC/laptop and router there, connecting the router to the internet via an ISP? Or could you set it up as a local network without using an ISP?

You'd set up a local self-contained small network with no outside connections.  Minimum would be laptop with suitable software settings acting as wireless access point plus your phone.  Its often simpler to add a cheap basic WiFi access point & router to the equipment list, such devices can be bought for £15-£30.   

I had this working in 2010 at Warley (laptop, Sprog, Apple handheld device).  I know I wasn't the first by a long shot.

- Nigel

I received mine yesterday.

I installed rail master from the cd, and expected everything to work, straight out of the box.

Nope, there is a process to go through, loading the drivers, configuring ports, before the elink box will talk to your computer.

READ THE PDF MANUALS BEFORE YOU START.

Whilst I suspect a lot of the problems I am having are down to this being my first DCC system, with my first DCC locomotive.

I have only now got it to control the loco reliably.

I have yet to read and write CVs reliably.

A couple of questions:

1. Can you back up your Railmaster data and settings (i.e. track plan, loco details, etc) so that, in the event of needing to re-install it on another PC (due to hardware failure, for example), you don't have to start all over again?

I would imagine there are folders where all this stuff is kept, that could be backed up and then re-imported if a recovery is needed?

2. If, for some reason, you do have to re-install, can the license key be easily activated again? Or would you need to contact Hornby Support?

• RMweb Premium

An internet connection is only needed to activate the license key and is the simplest way to receive updates - otherwise Railmaster/elink is quite happy on its own.

My Railmaster PC is only just in earshot of my home internet connected router, so I setup another old router that I have by my layout to provide a strong signal for the handheld controller.

• RMweb Premium

A couple of questions:

1. Can you back up your Railmaster data and settings (i.e. track plan, loco details, etc) so that, in the event of needing to re-install it on another PC (due to hardware failure, for example), you don't have to start all over again?

I would imagine there are folders where all this stuff is kept, that could be backed up and then re-imported if a recovery is needed?

2. If, for some reason, you do have to re-install, can the license key be easily activated again? Or would you need to contact Hornby Support?

1. I am currently backing up my railmaster folder and I believe this is sufficient

2. If you havent been able to deregister, I believe Hornby support is the only way to allow a key to be reused.

Above not gospel but based on reading/hearing somewhere!

1. I am currently backing up my railmaster folder and I believe this is sufficient

2. If you havent been able to deregister, I believe Hornby support is the only way to allow a key to be reused.

Above not gospel but based on reading/hearing somewhere!

OK, so there's only one folder that you need to worry about backing up?

If you need to re-install, presumably just copy the backed up folder to the same location as the newly installed one, and over-write it so you get all your previous settings back.

As for de-registering, I guess that could be a challenge if your hard drive fails on you!

The box contains one e-Link unit, one power supply for the unit, a USB cable, set of leads for connection to the track, and a Railmaster installation disk with an activation code.

As far as I can tell at this stage if you want to use a handheld wireless device such as ipod/ipad you'll need to connect this to the internet and download the correct software for it.

It appears there will be a fee for activating Railmaster on the handheld unit, but the on-screen notes don't make this absolutely clear.

There is a good tutorial here on how to do this http://youtu.be/4Pq12umkIj8. I believe it's £9.99 to register one device and £4.99 for each subsequent one.

I've set mine up this morning & so far am very impressed! I've not played much yet but connected it up to my iPad & ran a loco. It's let me have a 60 evaluation period on the iPad. My only critism so far would be that you can only control 6 sounds on sound locos. Maybe somebody can correct me on this?

I will keep playing over the next few days but sadly I can see my Lenz system ending up in a drawer or on a well know auction site if my first impressions of elink continue. At £67 this is a very good dcc system and I can see it being very successful. Even having to pay another tenner to connect to the iPad you can't really grumble about the price.

Maybe one day the whole system could be run via a tabet?

Certainly a recommend from me,

Mark :)

My only critism so far would be that you can only control 6 sounds on sound locos. Maybe somebody can correct me on this?

Can anybody else confirm or correct this? 6 sounds appears a little limiting?

Dave

I have e-link & Railmaster working OK but can anyone tell me how e-link/railmaster indicates a short?

I haven't been able to find anything in the railmaster or e-link instructions.

I'd rather not cause a deliberate short in case I do any damage!

Ian

I've had two (different) replies from the Hornby DCC forum. One says that a "short circuit" message appears in Railmaster on the PC, another says there's no message but that if a short occurs, two beeps are heard (didn't say whether from e-link or PC) and two beeps when the short is cleared.

Anyway Hornby seem to have the short circuit situation covered even if it's not in any instructions or manuals.

• RMweb Premium

Can anybody else confirm or correct this? 6 sounds appears a little limiting?

Dave

You can see six initially, then you can popup  to see 8, which can be further expanded to 16. Its a trade off between fitting engine control windows and buttons. Have a look at the manual page 30 which can be downloaded from

http://www.Hornby.co...uction-manuals/

Archived