Newhaven Harbour

Colin parks

Super sparky stock modelling.

I hope the health improves and you're able to continue with the hobby especially in producing such exquisite emu stock.

Cheers.

G

Hello Colin

Sorry to hear about your health problems, something I can empathise with at the moment; also sorry to hear that you are getting rid of your beautiful layout. I have always enjoyed seeing it on it's public appearances. My own SR layout Bedlam Heath is coming to the end of it's life with me and is now sold but has two more shows to go finishing at Tonbridge in February 2017. After 10 years I think it is time to call  it a day though as I have three more exhibition layouts I don't  think  I will be getting any rest any  time soon. Nice to the pictures you have posted on here, especially showing some of the more unusual  SR EMUs. Wonderful models. One of the things that always attracted me to the layout was the fact that my eldest son used to live up the road from there for a few years  so I used to visit from time to time. Anyway all the best and I hope that you build something else equally good in the future. 

Cheers

George

Hi George,

Thanks for your kind comments.  As you might remember, I told you that Bedlam Heath was one of the inspirations for getting back into modelling when I saw it featured in the Railway Modeller.  I am planning to build a new layout in the future, though the base boards (on medical advice) will  have to be much lighter than those of Newhaven Harbour. 

All the best,

Colin

Super sparky stock modelling.

I hope the health improves and you're able to continue with the hobby especially in producing such exquisite emu stock.

Cheers.

G

Thanks Grahame.

I will be modelling, but the present layout is too heavy for me to lift now.  I do have plans for some other EMU stock, including doing something to my scratch built 2 HAL, which might end up rebuilt as a de-icing unit.

All the best,

Colin

Colin.

If only I could accommodate it and had the loot.

Guess you want a lot of dough for it.

All the best and trust you will continue to improve.

I really enjoyed helping with stuff.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Ah well some things are not meant to be!  I do want a realistic figure for the layout, though that does include the whole set of parts for exhibition display.  I have not done with EMU building, so might call on your aid in the future.  (De-icing unit 002, later 003 - for instance!)

All the best,

Colin

Hello Colin

Glad to hear you are building something new, I look forward to seeing it, and you ,in the future. I know what you mean about the weight of baseboards as I too am finding it harder to move all thekit in and out of vans and halls. My problem is that I keep building bigger layouts, perhaps I will have set my sights a little lower in the future.

Cheers

George

Hello Colin

Glad to hear you are building something new, I look forward to seeing it, and you ,in the future. I know what you mean about the weight of baseboards as I too am finding it harder to move all thekit in and out of vans and halls. My problem is that I keep building bigger layouts, perhaps I will have set my sights a little lower in the future.

Cheers

George

Hi George,

Bigger layouts do not have to mean larger boards I suppose, but two of the Newhaven Harbour ones are around 6ft and the other two about 5ft.  All very well when you are fit and able.  I had looked into the possibility of using foam board for base boards, but do not feel able to make them to fine enough tolerances for P4.  I am hoping to order some laser cut 3' x 18" (or 2') boards, which should be light enough for me to handle.

All the best,

Colin 

Thanks Grahame.

I will be modelling, but the present layout is too heavy for me to lift now.  I do have plans for some other EMU stock, including doing something to my scratch built 2 HAL, which might end up rebuilt as a de-icing unit.

All the best,

Colin

You have to build the unit normal first then convert :)

Seriously I've enjoyed your layout and builds, long may you continue.

You have to build the unit normal first then convert :)

Seriously I've enjoyed your layout and builds, long may you continue.

Well Stadman,

Thanks for your well wishes.

Re. unit 002: To be exact, the unit was made up of two ex-4 LAV motor coaches, so you are right in some respects that I would have to convert the 2 HAL trailer coach to a motor coach.  The motor coaches of the 1st series 2 HALs and the second series 4 LAVs were to the same design, so I am half way there:

post-8139-0-05275000-1467756520_thumb.jpg

Another reason for converting my 2 HAL is that the spacing of the compartments was out by a visible amount, having used some dubious plans in its preparation resulting in an over-long luggage compartment. Not that many would notice!!  (The representations of the door hinges were not my finest hour either...)

Colin  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

I’ve just spent the last couple of hours rereading the thread marvelling at Colin’s achievements. Colin was a fine modeller, particularly in the medium of styrene sheet, and Newhaven stands as a tribute to his work.

RIP Colin Parks

Griff

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, griffgriff said:

I’ve just discovered that Newhaven is in the care of the Wirral finescale modellers group and the layout is being shown, in a slightly modified form, at Railex (Aylesbury) on the 25th and 26th of May 2019.

Griff

It's in very good hands, the changes made were sensible and I've seen twice out on the circuit.

Hi Guys

The layout is out 4 times this year, as already mentioned RailEx, Aylesbury at the end of May, RailEx NE, Blythe, 27th & 28th July, Halifax 28th & 29th Sept & finally Wigan 5th & 6th Oct.

Come along & I hope you enjoy the layout, which is mostly Colin's work :-)

Tim Rogers

05_May_18 Newhaven Harbour TJR001.JPG

05_May_18 Newhaven Harbour TJR017.JPG

05_May_18 Newhaven Harbour TJR027.JPG

05_May_18 Newhaven Harbour TJR030.JPG

05_May_18 Newhaven Harbour TJR032.JPG

05_May_18 Newhaven Harbour TJR033.JPG

05_May_18 Newhaven Harbour TJR034.JPG

05_May_18 Newhaven Harbour TJR036.JPG

05_May_18 Newhaven Harbour TJR041.JPG

05_May_18 Newhaven Harbour TJR043.JPG

Archived