UP Big Boy to steam again in 2019

roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

There's is a short piece in the current edition of Heritage Railway magazine that UP have budgeted for possible restoration of a Big Boy to working order by 2019.

That would be fantastic to see if they do achieve it.

4014 situated at Angeles County Fairground has been identified as the best condition of the surviving ones but there are objections as its the star exhibit there're.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

They (UP) appear to be serious - certainly they've been talking to the group that caretakes 4014 in Pomona. Star exhibit or not, I'd be delighted to see it rescued from it's "display" at the Fairplex, where there is no prospect of a future other than getting rustier or dustier.

You really don't understand how good you have it regarding working steam in the UK, until you move to the USA...

• RMweb Gold

I had heard that none would run again not just due to the cost of restoration and running but that the rails now used are not suitable for the weight but as to how true that is / was I am not sure.

I have still yet to see the Challenger or FEF3 in action but one day we will be in the right place and right time.

Ian

This pops up every so often. A few years ago there was one in Texas (IIRC) that they spent money on to get it so it could roll, but that was as far as it got.

I'm surprised that UP is doing it, as last time (once again, IIRC) Steve Lee, the man who was in charge of the UP heritage fleet at that time, said that there were only two places left on the UP system where one could get turned around. Those two places were within about 10 miles of each other.

Just a bit of trivia - the last track on the Shadows' first album (also called "The Shadows") was entitled "Big Boy". Listening to the rhythm, it must refer to the loco. It was composed by Bruce Welch and Hank Marvin - another two names to add to the list of train fans among Rock/Pop musicians?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ScnsGg_ix8

Edited by bluebottle

They (UP) appear to be serious - certainly they've been talking to the group that caretakes 4014 in Pomona. Star exhibit or not, I'd be delighted to see it rescued from it's "display" at the Fairplex, where there is no prospect of a future other than getting rustier or dustier.

You really don't understand how good you have it regarding working steam in the UK, until you move to the USA...

Hope it works out John....you could open a bed and breakfast for U.K. fans coming over to see it :-)

• 7 months later...

The track can certainly take the weight of the Big Boy, it was all 263k back in the 1950's and most of the major routes are good for 315K now.

As for turning it, it would have to be turned on wyes since the long turntables are retired. 

The Cab is bigger than most apartments in Manhattan worth below $1m...

Mainline trackage here, now, is, if anything, better than it was, across the country than back in the Forties. heavier weight, concrete ties, cess better managed etc.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 1