UP Big Boy to steam again in 2019

roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

4014 back at their steam shop, well done the entire UP crew and a nice pic of the crew on their twitter feed on the steam page. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/UP_Steam/status/1130251637669453824?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^embeddedtimeline|twterm^profile%3AUP_Steam&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.up.com%2Fforms%2Fsteam-trace.cfm

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mike,

Great video thanks for posting it.

I know very little about US steam but following one of our daughters and her family moving to Knoxville Tennessee a few years ago I am becoming more interested. Wish I had of done earlier.

Next year my wife and I are visiting her again but plan to start in Denver and then motor over to Cayenne UP depot which houses  4014 and others, will keep a close lookout on 

https://www.up.com/forms/steam-trace.cfm

in the hope of seeing this masterpiece in steam. Is that a good plan or should we adopt another approach? We might even have time to visit our daughter!

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I’d keep a close eye on the steam part of their website for tour dates. The steam shed isn’t open so unless you catch them on a trip or test you might see nothing. Might be worth emailing UP via their site to ask if there are any movements planned during the time you are there? 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Mike Boucher said:

This is a seriously beautiful video of 4014 and 844.  Well worth the 4-5 minutes.  (and amazingly, only 1500 views as of this posting.)

Not many locations (that I'm aware of anway) in this country that are that open (I'm sure some will come out of the woodwork now).

One that does come to mind is the Par - Newquay line at Goss Moor.

BTW did anyone notice the second loco is actually electric powered! You could see arcing in the long shots in the first half if the video :)

Edited by rab
Add text

• RMweb Premium

By some chance of fortune my wife and I ended up in Laramie on the night of the 18th May in a rundown motel alongside track 1 about a mile east of Laramie depot. The next morning I was able to get some shots as the train set off. Another railfan uad a scanner so we were able to hear Ed Dickens utter the immortal words "4014,844,2650 highball track 1".  The whistles then sounded and this volcano of steam erupted opposite the station.

P5190706.JPG.358f62e5b4df8c9318642860cdd4f2a9.JPG

A couple of minutes later they came under the underpass.

P5190711.JPG.4370c68e7a110ff3b2c3a903de4211a2.JPG

The sound could be heard for over 10 mi utes after they passed. The smoke was still lingering under the bridge as I walked back to the motel.

P5190726.JPG.aeef612a3a750752057f8cdbe3a2ac9c.JPG

A real bucket list moment.

Jamie

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

The pictures need a bit of cleaning up as they were stills grabbed while taking a video.  I will upload the video to Youtube and post a link when I get back home.

Anyway to continue the story, we chilled a bit then set off over Sherman Hill on I 80. The summit are was shrouded in mist but as we dropped down into Cheyenne , my wife, who hates trains, surprised me by saying. "Look at the steam".  We got off the I terstate and got so e shots as they pulled into Cheyenne under the I 25 overpass.

The software won't allow me to upload the photos but I'll resize them when I'm back home.

Jamie

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

While I’ve had to settle for buying my own one 87 times smaller It’s great that a few of you got to see it in person and shared it here, it’s a bit more connected than just seeing it on YouTube :) 

Here’s what all those pics and stories did to my wallet!! :laugh_mini: The train may be a bit modern but maybe a taster of things to come for 4014? Transfers are on the way to change the number ;) 

41F23107-65D3-4B5A-8E2E-A09BED063988.jpeg.5196f2431b8bee848a6fd793db64e284.jpeg

4244BD23-D337-49F8-BDA0-D32FF0EED532.jpeg.df1f6eb2a04d7890191a66eb8a9bad74.jpeg

• Like 7

22 hours ago, 30368 said:

Hi Mike,

Great video thanks for posting it.

I know very little about US steam but following one of our daughters and her family moving to Knoxville Tennessee a few years ago I am becoming more interested. Wish I had of done earlier.

Next year my wife and I are visiting her again but plan to start in Denver and then motor over to Cayenne UP depot which houses  4014 and others, will keep a close lookout on 

https://www.up.com/forms/steam-trace.cfm

in the hope of seeing this masterpiece in steam. Is that a good plan or should we adopt another approach? We might even have time to visit our daughter!

Kind regards,

Richard B

Sounds like a plan to me.  Cheyenne and Denver are reasonably close, by Western US standards, at only about a 2 hour drive.  You might want to contact the UP and see if you can get in to see the shops if its not under steam.   I don't know if it'll work, but its worth a try.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Mike. I will contact UP - I was a Railway Engineer (that's European Engineer not a driver) for over 50 years and I've found that what might be called the International Railway Community works well.

Thanks for your help.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

By some chance of fortune my wife and I ended up in Laramie on the night of the 18th May in a rundown motel alongside track 1 about a mile east of Laramie depot. The next morning I was able to get some shots as the train set off. Another railfan uad a scanner so we were able to hear Ed Dickens utter the immortal words "4014,844,2650 highball track 1".  The whistles then sounded and this volcano of steam erupted opposite the station.

P5190706.JPG.358f62e5b4df8c9318642860cdd4f2a9.JPG

A couple of minutes later they came under the underpass.

P5190711.JPG.4370c68e7a110ff3b2c3a903de4211a2.JPG

The sound could be heard for over 10 mi utes after they passed. The smoke was still lingering under the bridge as I walked back to the motel.

P5190726.JPG.aeef612a3a750752057f8cdbe3a2ac9c.JPG

A real bucket list moment.

Jamie

And you even managed to get the Golden Arches in aswell:rolleyes:

• Like 3

The school children at Hanna were brought along to observe the historical event. Unfortunately it was delayed for a couple of hours so they had to return to their classrooms and come back again later. (It was a bit chilly.) I'm sure many of them will remember this for a long time.

DSCN4470.JPG.8deba1aab849ed6aa93e702f7689badf.JPG

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Georgeconna said:

Man Alive, the rail trespass crowd would have a heart attack at that sight!

Unfortunately here in the US people seem to regard railroads as public rights of way, there's a lady at work who has a graduation shot of her daughter sprawled across the tracks, not in a Dastardley and Mutley way, I hasten to add.

You see schoolchildren walking down the tracks all the time, and people dodging around the barriers on those crossings that have them.

Regards,

John P

• RMweb Premium
On ‎27‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 15:38, Georgeconna said:

Man Alive, the rail trespass crowd would have a heart attack at that sight!

My better half was appalled as was I. One elderly Gent who should have know better, sauntered across tracks 1 and 2 and set his tripod up on track 3 to get a shot of the south, and better lit, side of the loco.   There are also a lot of very irresponsible drone shots on You Tube taken directly above the loco and even going under overbridges, both of which are prohibited.

The video that I shot of the train leaving Laramie shows one lady completely engulfed in steam before the cylinder cocks were shut on 4014.  You would think that they would have known better.

Jamie