UP Big Boy to steam again in 2019

roundhouse

I have just been reading a very good article about this in the June Railway Magazine.  I quote:

"At some locations hundreds of men women and children crossed the busy UP mainline to find a good location to  watch and film the locomotive.

UP must have been aware of this possibility, and rather than deploy hundreds of police officers along the 75 mile route to Ogden, they simply suspended all freight traffic along the route for the duration!"

The other thing I have learned is that "the diesel tucked in behind the extra water tender was not included in the consist to push , but to provide dynamic braking and give the "Big Boy" something to pull against.  As Ed [Dickens] pointed out the "Big Boy" is designed to haul very heavy freights, so a 10-car passenger train is nothing for it to move.  The loco operates much better with a heavier load, and because the brake pads on "Big Boy" are custom made and under normal circumstances would wear down rapidly, leading to expensive replacement, using the diesel to make 90% of the braking on the train is a must."

Sadly 3985 will not run again due to the condition of its boiler and is due to become a static exhibit somewhere.  We can only hope that UP reverses this policy at some time in the future.

Chris Turnbull

• Informative/Useful 1

On 04/06/2019 at 12:39, Mike Boucher said:

Good excuse for another road trip ;)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I've finally had chance to upload my video of the Big Boy departing Laramie.   Please excuse the wobbly focus, autofocus does some strange things.  However my excuse is that I was using a handheld camera and taking stills and video with it at the same time.

Yes it was overcast but it was cold.  Turn the sound up LOUD to really appreciate it.  

The ground really did shake.

Jamie

• Like 5

On 04/06/2019 at 15:39, Mike Boucher said:

The trip to Duluth has been confirmed, and a schedule announced by UP.

https://www.up.com/heritage/steam/schedule/index.htm

Mike

Edited by Mike Boucher

• 3 weeks later...

I used to own a few Big Boy models in H0, three Rivarossi and one MTF  but sold them all a year or so ago, then with 4014 back in steam I just had to buy one again.

Somewhat more expensive now than they were, I found a Rivarossi early version with the number 4014 on the cab side, I wonder if  the number is a factory number? Ebay seller was/is vague, the early box is labelled 1254, with ItalIan script. It cost about £150.

It runs well on my diorama and looks fine,   I couldn't resist making a nice picture using part of a scene from a UPSteam video, will remove if requested.

4014_UP_Big_Boy_portrait10_Img_3446abcd_r1500.jpg.e28bc47f6ec2af81612890fe8cc2b33e.jpg

4014_UP_Big_Boy_portrait1_5a_r1500.jpg.a9eb23d30724eb0762fc899dab1f2a1b.jpg

picture edited, some details added or enhanced.  What an engine! :)

Cheers

• Like 6

At risk of overdoing the Rivarossi pics, modified by some editing, the sight of 4014 with a 1940s-1950s 8,000-ton freight consist is something rather impressive...  :)  

4014_country_UP_big_boy_portrait5_3a_r1500.jpg.527f602b3cf263a5c097e52fab7eab0b.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 13/07/2019 at 23:25, PaulRhB said:

Some good shots on this video of 4014 on a short freight. 

Plenty of chase cars on the roads.

Is that part of the current tour?

• RMweb Gold

It’s a test run I think, they often do steam test runs and tag on freight that needs to go somewhere else as a load. It runs better under load, the diesel is there for that too someone said :) 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hopefully this will work, although you might have to be on Facebook or like the Iowa Traction Railway Company page. I'd previously seen photos but not with a copyright watermark or link so couldn't repost them.

Edited by 298
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

It’s a test run I think, they often do steam test runs and tag on freight that needs to go somewhere else as a load. It runs better under load, the diesel is there for that too someone said :) 

The diesel also provides power for the coaches. (Or it did when the passenger run was in operation.)

Edited by melmerby

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Answers to two questions above.

1.   The 20 hopper cars were there for the run from Cheyenne to, I think North Platte to provide a load and brake force.   As far as I know it ran with just the two extra tenders, the diesel and the 3 support coaches to Omaha/council Bluffs.  there it picked up another 8 or so passenger cars for the run to Boone, Iowa which carried passengers as a fundraiser for a museum.   4 coaches were then dropped at Boone and I think it now has 9 in tow for the remainder of the tour.   The extra ones will probably be dropped off at Council Bluffs as their depot is just north of there.  They might well as some freight cars for the run back to Cheyenne.

2.   Ed Dickens has been asked many times about the presence of the diesel and has given a very comprehensive reply.   The main reason is to make use of the dynamic braking to save on brake shoe wear on both the loco and the support cars.   One of the main reasons is because the steam crew is limited in numbers they haven't got the manpower to start changing brake shoes after a day's running. It also keeps the costs down.   The diesel is obviously also there as insurance to help them get out of the way of revenue earning freight if necessary.   However the steam crew have an enviable record of reliability and in the past 844 has even helped a stalled freight going west over Archer Hill near Cheyenne  Though the diesel can be controlled remotely via a Multiple Unit control from the steamer's cab.   However as far as I know they now have an engineer in the diesel cab after some problems were encountered on a previous run.

in the past they did often use a lot of power from the diesel(s) to save fuel and water on long climbs.  However when 3985 was heading over Donner Pass to Sacramento the exhaust from the steamer caused the diesels to shut down due to overheating in the tunnels.   They just opened up 3985 and the crew got down on the cab floor and hung their heads out of the doorway to get breathable air.  3985 had ample power apparently.

Jamie

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

However the steam crew have an enviable record of reliability and in the past 844 has even helped a stalled freight going west over Archer Hill near Cheyenne  Though the diesel can be controlled remotely via a Multiple Unit control from the steamer's cab.   However as far as I know they now have an engineer in the diesel cab after some problems were encountered on a previous run.

:)  Video of that earlier in the thread

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

They struggled to get it all in without adding more  they rarely doublehead, only special occasions like this, simply because they don’t need any more power

I agree.   The original plan for the run to Ogden was to have two separate trains each hauled by one steamer a few days apart.  However as there were delays in getting 4014 finished in time, and only a limited test run they decided relatively late in the day, to run them double headed.   Getting 4014 running was obviously a close run thing.  they needed the two locos at Ogden to fulfil their plan to restage the golden spike ceremony.  

As to a run with a revenue freight service, I am sure that they have some plans in the pipeline.  I believe that the next scheduled tour is to Southern California to honour their pledge to the Society that had the Big Boy and allowed them to buy it back.  This will include a run up Cajon Pass which will be a sight to behold.

Jamie.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Next tour announced :)

45DDA05F-1321-4E11-B2DC-F4F866E1BF54.jpeg.ee5f1b27f23cd716e7b7c3d02cc70c6d.jpeg

For the final time this year, the Big Boy No. 4014 will ride the rails on the Union Pacific system. We're calling it "The Great Race Across the Southwest." No. 4014 will leave Cheyenne Sept. 27, and travel to locations in Arkansas, Arizona, California, Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas, Utah and Wyoming.

Display locations include:

Oct. 2-3: Provo, Utah

Oct. 7: Las Vegas, Nev.

Oct. 10-11: Greater Los Angeles Area

Oct. 18: Tucson, Ariz.

Oct. 21-22: El Paso, Texas

also I’ve just been watching this I got from SPV ;)

https://www.spv.co.uk/acatalog/RETURN-OF-THE-BIG-BOY-S183HD.html#SID=43

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...