Hornby Sentinel - including cranked version

Southernman46

Did all the Sentinels in MOD ownership recieved green colour schemes? What year were they withdrawn. Reading this thread has made me really want one :)

I think a repainted Sentinel would look great working alongside my Steelman Royale on the corner of my layout that is based on a late 80's/early 90's MOD yard. I haven't repainted a loco before but £55 isn't breaking the bank so i'm willing to try!

• Like 1

An Esso liveried one has just arrived downunder from a well known retailer in Liverpool. :sungum:

Fantastically fast delivery - ordered on New Years Day and arrived today the 8th!! :locomotive:

First impressions are that it looks really good, very weighty and a lot smaller than I was expecting. Most importantly though there are no bits broken off or missing!

The red colour is also a lot darker than what I thought it was going to be. In a lot of photos I have seen its looks lighter, almost a shade of pink. Must be something to do with the photo colour reproduction or my computer screen!

It has had a quick run on the rolling road and seems very smooth straight from the outset, very quiet running.

I will post up some photos later when I get home from work.

If anyone is wavering about getting one of these/pre-ordering in any livery I can heartily recommend that you go for it, you won't be disappointed. The value for money. performance that I have seen so far and the finish in my humble opinion are superb.

Regards Glenn

• RMweb Premium

Would some one please provide me with the measurement between the inside faces of the outside frames please.

I am thinking of a P4 conversion.

Gordon A

Bristol

Hi Gordon,

Tim H on the DEMU forum has done a P4 conversion - using Gibson wheels on a 3mm axle. It looked like a simple drop in.

Cheers,

Mick

I've just got hold of the last Esso one from my local model shop. Living in Edinburgh, one of the two model railway shops had completely sold out, the other had one left in the display cabinet so I snapped it up. Got it home and it seems to be missing the detailing pack. However, with many places having none left, I'm loath to take it back. 

HI 

Do's anyone know if there are any of the NCB blue one's around ,I have had a look around but they all seem to be on pre-order ?

Thanks

Darren

Rails of Sheffield had two in the other day ( so said Chris) but they went as soon as they came in don't know when my NCB one will turn up it's been ordered since last May ????

• RMweb Gold

Has anyone looked at the instruction leaflet and the class notes slip of paper closely?  :read: 

Most of the membership are blokes......  instructions leaflets are very much a last resort! 

• RMweb Premium

Has anyone looked at the instruction leaflet and the class notes slip of paper closely?  :read: 

attachicon.gifSent3s.jpg

Hi Andy,

touched on the rod drive here -

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/65710-Hornby-sentinel-at-last/page-17&do=findComment&comment=1283879

and the post below it

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Premium

Most of the membership are blokes......  instructions leaflets are very much a last resort! 

There are instructions in the box :O

*Heads off to check*

Owen

• RMweb Premium

Thought so ;)

I hadn't seen anyone mention it (although I've not read every post).

Yes, had seen it but not personally interested in that variant so selfishly didn't mention it!

I suspect that the ill-fitting valences (see my posts above) are a knock-on effect of the intention to be able to fit a different set of (wider) valences to the same fixing points on the chassis for the rod version - assuming Hornby are going to observe that detail difference. It is after all, as the instructions also assure the reader, "made to exacting fine scale standards".

Interestingly, the instructions also say "the locomotive body is overall spray painted and the rest of the decoration is applied by a printed process". 

It's also noteworthy that the body has provision for the "railing version" of the loco (see Denise model above for what I mean) - there is a hole in the cab front and one in the footplate behind the front steps for the handrail to enter.

Having acquired a red one I would say it is painted and the apparent unpainted appearance many have commented on is down to red paint often having a pretty translucent element, as I commented in the thread on the new CCT the same complaint was made in the early 1980s over a red ICI van that Mainline marketed which was in fact painted.

The Instructions for mine were behind the white backing piece, hence I hadn't seen them.

Owen 

Errr!

As my wife says when i'm Iooking for something around the house thats right in front of me "try looking with your eyes!"

After pulling out the white bit of card my instructions/paperwork were hiding behind there.    :fool:  :blind:

• Like 1