Hornby Sentinel - including cranked version

Southernman46

• RMweb Premium

Is it me, or are there are two different wheel diameters? The parts book has 3 different parts listed for the three versions.

Looks,like the rod drive have slightly larger wheel than the mechanicals?

J

The prototype rod drive ones have larger wheels. IIRC 3' 3" as opposed to 3'.

• RMweb Premium

Is it me, or are there are two different wheel diameters? The parts book has 3 different parts listed for the three versions.

Looks,like the rod drive have slightly larger wheel than the mechanicals?

J

Yes, the rod drive locos have bigger wheels - and a shorter wheelbase.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A short running session on my 00 Gauge Micro Layout "Compton Quay" featuring Hornby Sentinel 0-4-0 "Graham".

Here we see "Graham", in smart Oxfordshire Ironstone Company Maroon Livery, shunting an assortment of Mixed Wagons on the Quayside.

Hope you enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9-rCg1OaCA

post-20663-0-51190000-1527410389_thumb.gif

Edited by SDJR7F88
  • Like 2

Quick question folks - apologies if duplicated - what’s the best kadee coupler to fit to these please? Finally moving away from tension lock!

That’s a difficult question to answer because a lot depends on the curves on your track. I would recommend keeping a small stock of each of the four sizes of fishtails and try each in turn, starting with the smallest, until you find the size which causes no trouble on your particular layout. If you don’t turn your stock around, you can try a mix of sizes until you get the closest trouble-free coupling possible.

Good luck! Kadees are superb couplers.

• Like 2

That’s a difficult question to answer because a lot depends on the curves on your track. I would recommend keeping a small stock of each of the four sizes of fishtails and try each in turn, starting with the smallest, until you find the size which causes no trouble on your particular layout. If you don’t turn your stock around, you can try a mix of sizes until you get the closest trouble-free coupling possible.

Good luck! Kadees are superb couplers.

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

It's a micro with little in the way of curves, just the small Peco Y point. That said, it seems totally sensible to have a stock of each size fishtail. Thanks!

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I came across this picture on Flickr and I thought I'd post it as it might make for an interesting and colourful livery variation for the Hornby model.

8469292980_fb2ebea80b_k.jpg0-4-0DH RR 10204/1965 named 'Jean' at Paddock Wood. Transfesa Terminal. by Adrian Nicholls, on Flickr

After LCI it was taken, in this livery to Bury on the ELR, not for preservation, but for storage as it was intended for freight work at the Heywood distribution centre, sadly never materialised.

Not sure what became of it, but it was in this livery for a while.

Edited by adb968008

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to check my thoughts on the eras I could run a sentinel. I'm thinking they would have appeared around the 60's and worked through to the 80's so I could, with some modellers licence and with a ficticious livery use them with SWB wagons through to air braked VDA's etc? would they have been seen alongside BR Steam loco's at all?

Thanks.

Steve.

• Like 1

After LCI it was taken, in this livery to Bury on the ELR, not for preservation, but for storage as it was intended for freight work at the Heywood distribution centre, sadly never materialised.

Not sure what became of it, but it was in this livery for a while.

It was used for shunting at Bury for a bit as the old MSC one was getting long in the tooth and the 03 was being rebuilt, and the NBL was knackered by Metrolink.

She ended up in Bibby blue livery before moving on

https://www.flickr.com/photos/16412147@N08/6390725879

• Like 2

I just wanted to check my thoughts on the eras I could run a sentinel. I'm thinking they would have appeared around the 60's and worked through to the 80's so I could, with some modellers licence and with a ficticious livery use them with SWB wagons through to air braked VDA's etc? would they have been seen alongside BR Steam loco's at all?

Thanks.

Steve.

At least three are still in industrial use. These are at Preston Docks for use on the bitumen trains.

https://ribblesteam.org.uk/exhibits/diesel/sentinel-10282-1968-enterprise/

Jason

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

In the past photos posted here led to Hornby models of the respective livery being produced, so I put this in here in the hope it is not too late for the Hornby 2019 range.

Blue Circle Sentinel of Oxwellmains Cement works:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/41295557715/

The 2019 range would've been finalized between July - September 2018. So you might have to pass the suggestion onto Hornby directly and hope for it to be in the 2020 range or hope they already thought of it.

Since there is now a six coupled Peckett do you think that we may get a six coupled Sentinel for 2020 to keep the 4w and 0-4-0 one company?

Mark Saunders

I've noticed that a lot of these Hornby Sentinels ended up being heavily discounted, so I suspect that haven't sold as well as the Pecketts.

• RMweb Premium

Since there is now a six coupled Peckett do you think that we may get a six coupled Sentinel for 2020 to keep the 4w and 0-4-0 one company?

Mark Saunders

I've noticed that a lot of these Hornby Sentinels ended up being heavily discounted, so I suspect that haven't sold as well as the Pecketts.

I wonder if the six wheel version would have been a better seller.

• RMweb Premium

I think the same will happen with the Pecketts. The first 3 Sentinels sold out quickly and the later runs hung around longer. The first 3 pecketts sold out, but there are still plenty of the 2nd batch around, and there are another 6 due out this year which may mean some discouting.

I'd love to see a six coupled Sentinel :-) 

• 1 month later...
On 12 April 2018 at 18:36, Ruston said:

I found the cause of the problem to be that the gear on one axle was loose. It was able to slide from side to side and partially rotate. I think this must have taken it out of phase with the rods. Simply fixed by cutting the gear off the axle and relying on the rods to transmit power to the second axle. So it does run now and reasonably smoothly too.

Thanks Ruston for this post mine is doing exactly the same as yours, my gears are okay so I can only think it's the quartering of the gear on the axle splines, many thanks sam

• Like 1

Hi,

Does anyone know where I can get a service sheet, for the cranked version, I have managed to lose the chassis bottom, and then bought a spare based on the part number for the geared version, which was the only one I could find on the Hornby  website. Turns out they are different!

Neil
EDIT: Got the two types back to front, now corrected

Edited by neilkirby
Mixed up items
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 08/01/2019 at 20:51, bennyboy said:

I picked my cattewater up for £15 last year, second hand (with slight damage to the glazing), but it gives you an idea of the demand... I was hoping I could find a similar bargain on a peckett, but no luck so far (as expected)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, neilkirby said:

Hi,

Does anyone know where I can get a service sheet, for the geared version, I have managed to lose the chassis bottom, and then bought a spare based on the part number for the cranked version, which was the only one I could find on the Hornby  website. Turns out they are different!

Neil

I think HSS399 is the one you want, downloadable from the Hornby website.

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/downloads/view/download/item/419

• Informative/Useful 1