Hornby Sentinel - including cranked version

Southernman46

• RMweb Premium

Yes, that struck me as very odd too. I am guessing that they think UK modellers have come to accept locos without lights and so they did not bother. But surely all shunting locos would have had lights as a safety feature ?

Forgive me for using your post as a handy jumping off point Brian; you're not the only one to mention lights, others have wondered at that other economy measure of unpainted plastic.

Looking not just at this model but at others released this year (and those to come) we have a wide spread of cost, complexity and detail from the Hatchette loss leading Mk1 carriage to the forthcoming Rapido Trains release, confidently predicted to be right at the top end of the market. Wherever a model is pitched on this cost, complexity, price axis it will win the approval of some and raise disappointments in others. It's that old adage about not pleasing all the people all the time. I'm sure that Hornby will be very aware of this and have specified the model to garner as many sales as possible. They may or may not have fully optimised their sales but I doubt they will be far off the mark. One other factor which may have caused them to be a little conservative on the spec and allow a more attractive price is that this will be their first purely industrial loco; they may wish to test the water or even widen the market as much as possible for potential future industrial models.

Edited by Neil

Yes, that struck me as very odd too. I am guessing that they think UK modellors have come to accept locos without lights and so they did not bother. But surely all shunting locos would have had lights as a safety feature ?

The lights are not great on these loco's - I remember the one based at the Pontypool & Blaenavon Railway had lights which didn't give vast amounts of illumination

http://bestieboy.smugmug.com/Trains/Pontypool-Blaenavon-Railway/19379214_4Zc5qT/1515461504_m5PQgrj#!i=1515461504&k=m5PQgrj

The pic here shows "Panteg" in a siding in 2011 and the single light is visible somewhat forlornly perched on the grille.

• Like 3

Hi 88,

This had a thin coat of red oxide primer, followed by a single coat of Matt green. Both aerosol applied. I had finely sanded back the printed lettering and plates beforehand to ensure that these would not show through.

The green was a Flair paint (enamel dark green) which - having used it for decks on rc model ships - I know to be durable and gives a consistent finish.

A little sprayed in the cap allowed for brush application to the edge of the cast metal chassis (shown bright in previous images). Some discrete aluminium dry-brushing, and warhammer black wash pulls out some of the detail. Three links, air reservoir (?) and brake hoses added, with a step to the front of one buffer beam.

Had to add a number so I can remember the decoder ID!

Some shunters paraphernalia added curtesy of the Bachmann match truck, and voila.

Chassis grime, and hints of rust to follow. I have seen a number of images of locos without handrails to the side of the long bonnet. I think I'll leave this model without - 'elf and safety be damned!

N

Edited by neal
  • Like 2

Hi 88,

This had a thin coat of red oxide primer, followed by a single coat of Matt green. Both aerosol applied. I had finely sanded back the printed lettering and plates beforehand to ensure that these would not show through.

The green was a Flair paint (enamel dark green) which - having used it for decks on rc model ships - I know to be durable and gives a consistent finish.

A little sprayed in the cap allowed for brush application to the edge of the cast metal chassis (shown bright in previous images). Some discrete aluminium dry-brushing, and warhammer black wash pulls out some of the detail. Three links, air reservoir (?) and brake hoses added, with a step to the front of one buffer beam.

Had to add a number so I can remember the decoder ID!

Some shunters paraphernalia added curtesy of the Bachmann match truck, and voila.

Chassis grime, and hints of rust to follow. I have seen a number of images of locos without handrails to the side of the long bonnet. I think I'll leave this model without - 'elf and safety be damned!

N

Thanks for sharing your techniques for preparing, painting and detailing this lovely little model.  I hope it encourages others to follow suit.  I have the Esso model which I will keep in its original condition, but I'm very tempted to purchase a second one and paint it.  The Sentinel based at Rushden Historical Transport Society ("Les Forster") is my inspiration.  Does anybody know what the nearest spray paint shade to use.

http://www.rhts.co.uk/railstockpages/Stock_List_2011_007.htm

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for sharing your techniques for preparing, painting and detailing this lovely little model.  I hope it encourages others to follow suit.  I have the Esso model which I will keep in its original condition, but I'm very tempted to purchase a second one and paint it.  The Sentinel based at Rushden Historical Transport Society ("Les Forster") is my inspiration.  Does anybody know what the nearest spray paint shade to use.

http://www.rhts.co.uk/railstockpages/Stock_List_2011_007.htm

Hi Intercity,

Accepting how skewed most male colour perception is...

Have a look here:-

http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-color/#svg-color

Should be about Forest/Fern green going by my eyes

Thanks

Hi Intercity,

Accepting how skewed most male colour perception is...

Have a look here:-

http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-color/#svg-color

Should be about Forest/Fern green going by my eyes

Thanks

Thanks Scottish Modeller.  I've taken a look at the colour chart link you posted and would agree that Forest Green seems to be a good match.  I will see if I can find it in a Halfords or Humbrol spray can.

I will keep my Esso model in its original condition, but will see if I can buy a second one.  I'll do some research and see if someone makes etched name plates to order.  I'm pretty sure there must be a firm out there.

Regards,

Paul (aka Intercity125 - the need for speed low shunting speed)

I'll do some research and see if someone makes etched name plates to order.  I'm pretty sure there must be a firm out there.

I hope someone does, all mine will be repainted, some Sentinal and RR plates or even transfers would be the finishing touch.

Thanks Scottish Modeller.  I've taken a look at the colour chart link you posted and would agree that Forest Green seems to be a good match.  I will see if I can find it in a Halfords or Humbrol spray can.

I will keep my Esso model in its original condition, but will see if I can buy a second one.  I'll do some research and see if someone makes etched name plates to order.  I'm pretty sure there must be a firm out there.

Regards,

I know there is, I just can't remember the name! Ask SDJR7F88, as he's getting some for 'Chew Valley'

• RMweb Gold

Evening Paul,

Like Dirk and 80104 have said I can't recommend NP more than enough.  

Used them many times and always an excellent service from Steve who is on here with the user name Cornelius.

If you look on the link below to my layout Juniper Hill you'll see his handy work (with familiar place names!) 

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/70516-juniper-hill/page-11

Irchester Quarry had one of these Sentinels in its last years of operation called 'Maud' which I think if memory serves me correctly came from the Banbury area quarries.

Cheers,

Mark

Evening Paul,

Used them many times and always an excellent service from Steve who is on here with the user name Cornelius.

If you look on the link below to my layout Juniper Hill you'll see his handy work (with familiar place names!) 

Irchester Quarry had one of these Sentinels in its last years of operation called 'Maud' which I think if memory serves me correctly came from the Banbury area quarries.

Cheers,

Mark

Quite correct, although Maud was a rod-drive example, ousted from the Oxfordshire Ironstone Company at Wroxton. Her sister (and brother) locomotives BETTY, JEAN, BARABEL and GRAHAM  are preserved. Their names came from the steam locomotives they replaced, MAUD having Peckett-style plates. 

Paul A. 

• Like 1

Evening Paul,

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks Mark.

I'd like to purchase a second Sentinel and model it as "Les Forster" for two reasons.  Firstly it is preserved at Rushden and is an extremely useful loco in 12 inch to the foot scale.  Secondly, because I met Les at the station's bar and he proposed me for membership.  At the time I didn't realise he was the Chairman of the Society.  He was so down to earth, friendly and I loved his dry sense of humour which I think developed as a result of being a prison officer at HMP Wellingborough.  It came as a shock when he died from a short illness a few years ago.  Apologies for going slightly off topic here.  It's good to know that Narrow Planet and others out there can help me with acquiring some bespoke nameplates so I can attempt some kind of tribute.

I've taken a quick look at the link you sent me and I'm absolutely in awe of your models.  I love small industrial tanks/diesel shunters and your models look amazing.  Looks like we share one common interest at least LOL.  You should join RHTS cos they have quite a few locos that might interest you (sorry, couldn't help get a pug plug in for the Society).

Regards,

Quite correct, although Maud was a rod-drive example, ousted from the Oxfordshire Ironstone Company at Wroxton. Her sister (and brother) locomotives BETTY, JEAN, BARABEL and GRAHAM  are preserved. Their names came from the steam locomotives they replaced, MAUD having Peckett-style plates. 

Paul A. 

Sentinels must be useful/versatile machines if so many of them have been preserved.  It would appear that I have developed a greater interest in small shunting locomotives thanks to some of the postings on here.  Now to find some suitable publications.................

Regards,

Paul

All extant 4w (ie not 0-4-0 rod drive) according to uklocos.com

Sentinel 10003 /1959 H001 Locomotion, Durham
Sentinel 10007 /1959 4 AJR Birch, Kent
Sentinel 10012 /1959 Ayrshire RPS
Sentinel 10023 /1960 7 Katie Crossley Evans, West Yorkshire
Sentinel 10029 /1960 P403D Denise Imery Clay Co, Cornwall
Sentinel 10037 /1960 H055 British Energy, Lancashire
Sentinel 10040 /1960 7 Kingsbury EMR Ltd, Warwickshire
Thomas Hill / Sentinel 103C /1960 Foxfield Light Railway
Sentinel 10070 /1961 H003 Rosedale Tata Steel, Flintshire
Sentinel 10077 /1961 Locomotion, Durham
Sentinel 10159 /1963 Les Forster Rushden HTC
Sentinel 10175 /1964 DH16 West Somerset Railway
Sentinel 10177 /1964 H057 / DL2 Tata Steel, Flintshire
Rolls Royce 10198 /1965 Jamo Orb Steel Term, Gwent
Rolls Royce 10199 /1964 Cattewater East Somerset Railway
Rolls Royce 10222 /1965 10222 Peter J Griffiths Llanelli and Mynydd Mawr Railway
Rolls Royce 10226 /1965 Ribble Railway
Rolls Royce 10229 /1965 Astontrack, Durham
Rolls Royce 10232 /1965 2 Weardale Railway
Rolls Royce 10241 /1966 Bluebell Railway
Rolls Royce 10252 /1966 2 Ice Cream SCS Ltd, Dorset
Thomas Hill / Sentinel 189C /1967 Davy Markham, South Yorkshire
Rolls Royce 10280 /1968 H058 British Energy, Durham
Rolls Royce 10282 /1968 Enterprise Ribble Railway
Rolls Royce 10283 /1968 Progress Ribble Railway

Edited by Butler Henderson

• RMweb Premium

The one at Locomotion is "hidden away" but in one piece.

I can't find many photos of a 4 wheeler without side plates on the footplate as modelled above  though - can someone point me at one please?

And if you want a six wheeler try building one of the Judith edge kits - they are easy to do.. and it comes with works plates etc..

post-7650-0-34096500-1388333000_thumb.jpg

owned and built by Mike edge - weathered and photographed by myself.

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
  • RMweb Gold