Hornby Sentinel - including cranked version

Southernman46

• RMweb Premium

All extant 4w (ie not 0-4-0 rod drive) according to uklocos.com

Rolls Royce  10226 /1965                                               Ribble Railway

Rolls Royce  10282 /1968                   Enterprise           Ribble Railway

Rolls Royce  10283 /1968                   Progress              Ribble Railway

The Ribble Railway locos are in regular use shifting bitumen tanks between the exchange sidings near to Strand Road/Riversway and the Lanstar works in Preston Docks. I must have a go at modifying a Hornby model with shortened fuel tank, thicker buffer beams and air compressor box...

post-408-0-85115100-1388336203_thumb.jpg

post-408-0-10292400-1388336221_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

All extant 4w (ie not 0-4-0 rod drive) according to uklocos.comSentinel 10003 /1959 H001 Locomotion, DurhamSentinel 10007 /1959 4 AJR Birch, KentSentinel 10012 /1959 Ayrshire RPSSentinel 10023 /1960 7 Katie Crossley Evans, West YorkshireSentinel 10029 /1960 P403D Denise Imery Clay Co, CornwallSentinel 10037 /1960 H055 British Energy, LancashireSentinel 10040 /1960 7 Kingsbury EMR Ltd, WarwickshireThomas Hill / Sentinel 103C /1960 Foxfield Light RailwaySentinel 10070 /1961 H003 Rosedale Tata Steel, FlintshireSentinel 10077 /1961 Locomotion, DurhamSentinel 10159 /1963 Les Forster Rushden HTCSentinel 10175 /1964 DH16 West Somerset RailwaySentinel 10177 /1964 H057 / DL2 Tata Steel, FlintshireRolls Royce 10198 /1965 Jamo Orb Steel Term, GwentRolls Royce 10199 /1964 Cattewater East Somerset RailwayRolls Royce 10222 /1965 10222 Peter J Griffiths Llanelli and Mynydd Mawr RailwayRolls Royce 10226 /1965 Ribble RailwayRolls Royce 10229 /1965 Astontrack, DurhamRolls Royce 10232 /1965 2 Weardale RailwayRolls Royce 10241 /1966 Bluebell RailwayRolls Royce 10252 /1966 2 Ice Cream SCS Ltd, DorsetThomas Hill / Sentinel 189C /1967 Davy Markham, South YorkshireRolls Royce 10280 /1968 H058 British Energy, DurhamRolls Royce 10282 /1968 Enterprise Ribble RailwayRolls Royce 10283 /1968 Progress Ribble Railway

Thanks for the info always good see what they are doing now

• RMweb Gold

The decoder is already available, it would be interesting to know how many have been sold so far! Think I will simply rip out all of the wiring / socket and hard wire a known reliable decoder in place rather than risk the Hornby one given the limitations or incompatibilities of much of their dcc stuff.

Have just finished fitting a Digitrax DZ125 into my NCB blue loco. It fits nicely into the "decoder box" inside the model but I suspect anything much bigger than this decoder will be a bit of a struggle. I left the 4 pin plug wiring in place as supplied but removed the blanking plate and soldered the (shortened) leads of the decoder directly to the pins of the plug provided. This means the pins could always be cleaned up if the decoder is removed and used in the way intended by Hornby in future. I felt it was slightly easier than cutting the wiring short before the plug and soldering wires end to end but that is just my opinion. There was enough room provided in the box for the decoder and the plug including wiring - just.

I suspect that if lights are to be added, which I will probably do in future, then the extra wiring and connections will probably necessitate removing the 4 pin plug altogether and soldering the loco wires and decoder wires directly end to end.

Reassembling the model and getting the handrails back in the right slots was a bit fiddly but not a major issue.

The loco runs smoothly and I think it looks really great on my quarry layout. The NCB marking are going to be removed and it will be weathered but it looks so nice that I think i will leave the base colour as dark blue.

Overall I am very pleased with this model - good for Hornby (even if I did have to wait nearly 12 months from order!).

Don

• RMweb Premium

All extant 4w (ie not 0-4-0 rod drive) according to uklocos.com

Sentinel 10003 /1959 H001 Locomotion, Durham

Sentinel 10007 /1959 4 AJR Birch, Kent

Sentinel 10012 /1959 Ayrshire RPS

Sentinel 10023 /1960 7 Katie Crossley Evans, West Yorkshire

Sentinel 10029 /1960 P403D Denise Imery Clay Co, Cornwall

Sentinel 10037 /1960 H055 British Energy, Lancashire

Sentinel 10040 /1960 7 Kingsbury EMR Ltd, Warwickshire

Thomas Hill / Sentinel 103C /1960 Foxfield Light Railway

Sentinel 10070 /1961 H003 Rosedale Tata Steel, Flintshire

Sentinel 10077 /1961 Locomotion, Durham

Sentinel 10159 /1963 Les Forster Rushden HTC

Sentinel 10175 /1964 DH16 West Somerset Railway

Sentinel 10177 /1964 H057 / DL2 Tata Steel, Flintshire

Rolls Royce 10198 /1965 Jamo Orb Steel Term, Gwent

Rolls Royce 10199 /1964 Cattewater East Somerset Railway

Rolls Royce 10222 /1965 10222 Peter J Griffiths Llanelli and Mynydd Mawr Railway

Rolls Royce 10226 /1965 Ribble Railway

Rolls Royce 10229 /1965 Astontrack, Durham

Rolls Royce 10232 /1965 2 Weardale Railway

Rolls Royce 10241 /1966 Bluebell Railway

Rolls Royce 10252 /1966 2 Ice Cream SCS Ltd, Dorset

Thomas Hill / Sentinel 189C /1967 Davy Markham, South Yorkshire

Rolls Royce 10280 /1968 H058 British Energy, Durham

Rolls Royce 10282 /1968 Enterprise Ribble Railway

Rolls Royce 10283 /1968 Progress Ribble Railway

TH 189C isn't a Sentinel diesel, the C suffix indicates that it is a rebuilt steam loco, quite different style to the diesels. Incidentally I remember this loco from my lorry driving days in 1976, the driver was very proud of it and kept it sparkling clean.

It would be interesting to reproduce Denise as shown above with her graffiti and the little paw prints on the buffers!

I was thinking the same.

There's a member on here (richard37670) who purchased an NCB version (see earlier posting a couple of pages back) who plans to respray her into the orange livery and make her into Denise.  I'm not sure if he is intending to add the graffiti, but what a challenge that would be.............. 

Called in to Digitrains on Saturday for a chat with the lads and noticed they had a couple in stock, a Blue one and a Red one. They only have a blue one now! Ha ha.

So, after getting it home, I set about fitting a ZIMO sound decoder and speaker. I don't like seeing decoders, wires or speakers visible after a sound installation and fortunately I was able to fit all I needed within the hidden parts of the model. 

So, from any angle, the model looks identical to how it did straight out of the box. Well pleased!

Kind regards,

Paul

• Like 2

Your video just popped up on my YouTube subscription box! Wow! It sounds amazing! You have done an excellent job! :good: 

Thank you. I saw your comment before I had finished putting my description in!

Actually, all windscreen wipers are attached, but the front pair are set at different angles to each other, pretty much like many real ones I've been on. Full mark to Hornby for authenticity, Ha ha!!

Funny you should mention wipers, though, as that is one of the sounds in the project.

Kind regards,

Paul

• Like 1

Thank you. I saw your comment before I had finished putting my description in!

Actually, all windscreen wipers are attached, but the front pair are set at different angles to each other, pretty much like many real ones I've been on. Full mark to Hornby for authenticity, Ha ha!!

Funny you should mention wipers, though, as that is one of the sounds in the project.

Kind regards,

Paul

No problem! I am quick off the mark on YouTube. Mine was at that angle too, until it fell off! It was not really on the windscreen, but on the part of the body bellow it. Just hope I can get mine sorted. :scratchhead: 

Here's a short video of the new Hornby Sentinel to which I have added a ZIMO sound decoder and speaker.

It's just the first 'rush' and I've not displayed any of the ancillary sounds, like windscreen wipers, wagon buffering etc.

Suffice to say the project has many of the sounds associated with these locos and their typical applications.

Paul

• Like 7

I rather like the Ribble ones- two of the three based there have been there "from new" and are still doing more or less the job they were bought for. Would be interesting to see the Hornby one modified to represent one of the trio in it's current state.

Anyway, I gave into temptation today and popped into Antics' warehouse shop and came away with a Cattedown one. Must admit I'm quite impressed with it- although it does look a little plastic in certain (bright!) lights, which the blue livery (being a "heavier" colour) doesn't seem to suffer from. I think I might disassemble it at some point and paint the insides of the body, & possibly the inside of the side plates to try and stop the shine through effect. It does highlight just how thin & how detailed the side plates are though! Mine aren't perfectly lined up with the cabsides (I'm wondering if they could actually be attached to & removed with the cab instead of to the footplate?) but it doesn't detract too much.

I bought a Lenz silver mini with it, which will obviously have to be hard wired- but I've been really impressed with the slow speed performance of the Lenz chips in my Bachmann steam locos so I'm hoping it'll do the trick with this too.

I took a couple of snaps on "Cranogwen", my WR BLT (which is doesn't fit in with in the slightest of course), not the best but everyone likes pictures!

20131230_164026-1.jpg

& for a size comparison with the common or garden 16 tonner; I hadn't registered quite how small it was:

20131230_164611-1.jpg

Don't pay too much attention to the colours- again, my 'phone camera makes a complete hash of the red, it's a lot better with the naked eye. Not helped that the lighting in the railway room is terrible.

Suppose I need some 70's era tank wagons now- and a blue diesel to work in with them...

• Like 5

I rather like the Ribble ones- two of the three based there have been there "from new" and are still doing more or less the job they were bought for. Would be interesting to see the Hornby one modified to represent one of the trio in it's current state.

Anyway, I gave into temptation today and popped into Antics' warehouse shop and came away with a Cattedown one. Must admit I'm quite impressed with it- although it does look a little plastic in certain (bright!) lights, which the blue livery (being a "heavier" colour) doesn't seem to suffer from. I think I might disassemble it at some point and paint the insides of the body, & possibly the inside of the side plates to try and stop the shine through effect. It does highlight just how thin & how detailed the side plates are though! Mine aren't perfectly lined up with the cabsides (I'm wondering if they could actually be attached to & removed with the cab instead of to the footplate?) but it doesn't detract too much.

I bought a Lenz silver mini with it, which will obviously have to be hard wired- but I've been really impressed with the slow speed performance of the Lenz chips in my Bachmann steam locos so I'm hoping it'll do the trick with this too.

I took a couple of snaps on "Cranogwen", my WR BLT (which is doesn't fit in with in the slightest of course), not the best but everyone likes pictures!

20131230_164026-1.jpg

& for a size comparison with the common or garden 16 tonner; I hadn't registered quite how small it was:

20131230_164611-1.jpg

Don't pay too much attention to the colours- again, my 'phone camera makes a complete hash of the red, it's a lot better with the naked eye. Not helped that the lighting in the railway room is terrible.

Suppose I need some 70's era tank wagons now- and a blue diesel to work in with them...

That's very small!

Here's a short video of the new Hornby Sentinel to which I have added a ZIMO sound decoder and speaker.

It's just the first 'rush' and I've not displayed any of the ancillary sounds, like windscreen wipers, wagon buffering etc.

Suffice to say the project has many of the sounds associated with these locos and their typical applications.

Paul

That great sound is there much room once the sound decoder inside I was looking to put light in mine might have get hold someone get it sorted

Cheers for sharing Paul

• Like 1

Couldn't resist the blue NCB one in the Ian Allan Bookshop, these do have an addictive quality. I'm not one for taking a model to bits as soon as I get it home but one of the cab side windows was dislodged so my hand was forced. It all came apart as shown and the glazing was quickly reseated, although I'll second the comment that the inner handrails are a bit of a fiddle. I think I'll mate this with the Bachmann Modelzone NCB 16T mineral wagons I have lurking somewhere