Hornby Sentinel - including cranked version

Southernman46

Didn't know that- cheers. I knew they were fairly small but not perhaps as small as they are- I suspect this may be something to do with the fact that most previous attempts at RTR "industrial" diesels in 00 have been rather on the overscale side, and so to see one that's realistically small is a bit of a surprise.

I took a couple of quick snaps against a Bachmann ex SR van anyway, for a better size comparison. In the bird's eye view they are both "on the stops", the flash was on for that one which gives a better colour representation & you can see how fine the sidesheets are.

20131230_185847.jpg

20131230_185738.jpg

I look forward to seeing some of the micro layouts that will hopefully appear as a result of this loco coming out. Will attempt to chip it tomorrow or Wednesday & will report back.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

They where designed so they could be turned if necessary on wagon turntables

The low roof cab design came from the original 0-6-0s for Dorman Long, quite a few Sentinels have been rebuilt with taller Vanguard style cabs and/or hinged doors to replace the wretched sliding ones.

Didn't know that- cheers. I knew they were fairly small but not perhaps as small as they are- I suspect this may be something to do with the fact that most previous attempts at RTR "industrial" diesels in 00 have been rather on the overscale side, and so to see one that's realistically small is a bit of a surprise.

I took a couple of quick snaps against a Bachmann ex SR van anyway, for a better size comparison. In the bird's eye view they are both "on the stops", the flash was on for that one which gives a better colour representation & you can see how fine the sidesheets are.

20131230_185847.jpg

20131230_185738.jpg

I look forward to seeing some of the micro layouts that will hopefully appear as a result of this loco coming out. Will attempt to chip it tomorrow or Wednesday & will report back.

Off topic I know.....

But can we see more of your layout please? Looks interesting!

Neal,

Your post 329 of the 28/12/13 showing Perkasa 8, what is the half oil drum thing on the rear bonnet, left hand side at the back?

Gordon A

Bristol.

I thought it was an oil drum as it wasn't unusual for industrials to carry extra fuel or even lubricating oil if the motor was a heavy drinker

Some thought on improving the cab interior.

By hardwiring a decoder rather than using the 4 pin socket provided, it will be possible to lower the false floor in the cab by several millimetres, and at 4mm to the foot, that's a significant amount.

If you intend to run DC only, cut off the 4-pin socket and join the track pick-up wires to the motor terminals (or the wires already attached if you prefer).

This will enable you to remove the false floor altogether, retaining the driving desk, of course. Room for some crew!

Kind regards,

Paul

• Like 1

I thought it was an oil drum as it wasn't unusual for industrials to carry extra fuel or even lubricating oil if the motor was a heavy drinker

I've heard of the need for top up oils, but a 45 gallon drum? This is a Sentinel for God's sake, a quality product powered by Rolls Royce, not an Austin Montego.........

So this is now a 4pin DCC ready loco? 

At first it was supposed to be DCC fitted, Hattons has it listed as 8pin DCC ready. 

I've no issue with Hattons but I have always know them to give wrong info about models re: details and delivery dates. When it comes to the Sentinel I have always followed updates from Hornby and RoS and they seemed to be accurate.

Some work done on the sentinel shall be Denise soon p403d attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

Looking lovely Richard, waiting to see your further updates :)

• RMweb Premium

I've no issue with Hattons but I have always know them to give wrong info about models re: details and delivery dates.

That's a bit unfair on Hattons. They give delivery dates based on Hornby's projected delivery dates. They don't just make them up.

• RMweb Gold

Just picked up my NCB blue one and I'm very impressed. The window frames are much less obtrusive than I expected from the photos of the Esso version posted earlier in this thread. I don't think they'll need all that much toning down.

The shop also had a red one and I was very struck by how much better (less glossy) it looks in the flesh compared to the close-up photos.  

Incidentally, has anyone else looked at the instructions? Fig.1 (lubrication) clearly shows a rod-coupled version of the loco. 

Might there be further delights yet to come?...........

John

• Like 1

Hi 

I have this photo taken at Mountain Ash Colliery, they do seem to have a large number of them working there.

None of those three locos are Sentinels Darren, the one on the left is a Barclay, the middle one is a Bagnall and the one in the shed looks like it might be another Barclay, but I'm not sure about that.

Just picked up my NCB blue one and I'm very impressed. The window frames are much less obtrusive than I expected from the photos of the Esso version posted earlier in this thread. I don't think they'll need all that much toning down.

The shop also had a red one and I was very struck by how much better (less glossy) it looks in the flesh compared to the close-up photos.  

Incidentally, has anyone else looked at the instructions? Fig.1 (lubrication) clearly shows a rod-coupled version of the loco. 

Might there be further delights yet to come?...........

John

Hi John,

Hornby's Operating and Maintenance Instruction sheet is accompanied by an additional slip of paper entitled "Sentinel Class" with a sub-title of "4wDM/0-4-0 Diesel Electric Locomotives" and provides detail of the class history. The final paragraph says: "The Hornby model included in this pack will be based either on the original 4 wheel chain drive Sentinel with a designated wheel arrangement of 4wDM or the crank drive version incorporating an 0-4-0 wheel formation"

This strongly suggests that a rod driven version is in the pipeline which will add further variety and provide me with an excuse to go and buy another Sentinel, though I fear I might succumb to buying another one well before then..................

• RMweb Premium

The final paragraph says: "The Hornby model included in this pack will be based either on the original 4 wheel chain drive Sentinel with a designated wheel arrangement of 4wDM or the crank drive version incorporating an 0-4-0 wheel formation"

That would account for the over wide chassis on the pre-production models.... The rod drive loco is visibly wider below the footplate.

Cheers,

Mick

None of those three locos are Sentinels Darren, the one on the left is a Barclay, the middle one is a Bagnall and the one in the shed looks like it might be another Barclay, but I'm not sure about that.

Thanks, it jut shows how much i know!  :D  Think i will stick to steam!

I've no issue with Hattons but I have always know them to give wrong info about models re: details and delivery dates.

That's a bit unfair on Hattons. They give delivery dates based on Hornby's projected delivery dates. They don't just make them up.

Fair enough, but I always ask RoS and MF also for updates and why do their's differ when compared to attons? I've always know the info given by MF and RoS to be more accurate and similar to what Hornby also tell me. It's a personal experience with Hattons that I've had and I haven't said they are bad. 

This strongly suggests that a rod driven version is in the pipeline which will add further variety and provide me with an excuse to go and buy another Sentinel, though I fear I might succumb to buying another one well before then..................

It's certainly encouraging. What's slightly curious is that I've seen more general service sheets covering variant models (e.g. Bachmann's Spectrum HO steam), but I don't think I've ever seen one including a model that hasn't even been announced.

I'm glad the Sentinel appears to be on the whole well-received. It's hard to resist...