Hornby Sentinel - including cranked version

Southernman46

Off topic I know.....

But can we see more of your layout please? Looks interesting!

It's not particularly! I've not put a thread up on here as a.) I didn't build it (unashamed cheque book modeller me, in 4mm/ft anyway- I save that for 16mm/ft, where mistakes are a lot more obvious but no-one counts rivets!) but bought it complete from a chap rather more talented than myself on the "New Railway Modellers" forum and b.) I just tend to "play trains" with it instead of anything too serious.

There are some modifications I'd like to make though, so perhaps I will post a thread up in the relevant section as it might give me an incentive to get on with it! I'll stick a link here when I do.

Edited by brianthesnail96

Just picked up the last NCB one from my local model shop today. Saw my friends yesterday, which is now EM....

Ohh, please do share some info' on the conversion to EM, I've mine to do but can't/mustn't start it for a fortnight.

John.

• RMweb Gold

The green one is now in the "New for 2014" section of Hornbys web site along with a whole load of other non released items from 2013, 2012, .....Meanwhile on ebay the green ones are apparently in stock and one has been sold!

According to my local dealer, there were small quantities of several items delivered on the 23rd/24th December with "more to follow in January".

John

Hi 

Just got home with  my Sentinel , as soon as i got it out of the box and found this!

As you can see there is a part missing on the loco, the part was not even in the box!, to say i am disappoint would be an understatement ,As this was the last one the shop had. 

Also the the windscreen wiper on the right window is missing as well and if you look just above the cab window there is a glue mark finger print!!. 

Hornbys QC has gone out of the window, waited this long for one only to end up with this  :ireful: 

Darren

post-6929-0-29925400-1388688135.jpg

Edited by darren01

Thats correct but no one has reported sight of a weathered green Sentinel yet and the Hornby website confirmed its delay into 2014.

You may be reading too much into that.  Suppose it does hit the shops 6 January, or even a week later, then why not label it "New for 2014" on the website and make something positive of it.

My glass is 2/3rds full and as it is only 7pm I am going to top it up with lemonade

Hi 

Just got home to find that my Sentinel had arrived in the post, as soon as i got it out of the box and found this!

As you can see there is a part missing on the loco, the part was not even in the box!, to say i am disappoint would be an understatement ,As this was the last one the shop had. 

Also the the windscreen wiper on the right window is missing as well and if you look just above the cab window there is a glue mark finger print!!. 

Hornbys QC has gone out of the window, waited this long for one only to end up with this  :ireful: 

Darren

Hi Darren,

Sorry to hear that your model is missing its exhaust and a wiper. The fact that neither component is in the box suggests to me that it could be a shop returned model rather than a quality control issue, otherwise the parts would be in the box and there wouldn't be a glue mark on the outside.

I know it's a bit of a b*lls ache, but I think you should return it and ask for a replacement or refund ASAP. I know of one local model shop (local to me that is) that had one NCB model left if you have trouble finding another one. Let me know and I can send you their details.

Regards,

Paul

Hi Darren,

Sorry to hear that your model is missing its exhaust and a wiper. The fact that neither component is in the box suggests to me that it could be a shop returned model rather than a quality control issue, otherwise the parts would be in the box and there wouldn't be a glue mark on the outside.

I know it's a bit of a b*lls ache, but I think you should return it and ask for a replacement or refund ASAP. I know of one local model shop (local to me that is) that had one NCB model left if you have trouble finding another one. Let me know and I can send you their details.

Regards,

Paul

HI 

Thanks for the offer, the funny thing is he only got the blue NCB one in this morning, So i do not think it was a shop return.

I will be taking it back tomorrow, Bit of a b*ll  ache as it an hour to get into town from where i live and i know he dos not have another one in stock and is highly unlikely that he will have anymore in for a while.

Darren

Here's a short video of the new Hornby Sentinel to which I have added a ZIMO sound decoder and speaker.

It's just the first 'rush' and I've not displayed any of the ancillary sounds, like windscreen wipers, wagon buffering etc.

Suffice to say the project has many of the sounds associated with these locos and their typical applications.

Paul

Out of interest, if you don't mind telling me, which loco was the sound recorded from, please?  It might just be me, but the engine doesn't sound as refined as I remember them.

This video (from 09:27 onwards) captures the sound that I remember quite well:

Edit - Are the gearbox direction change noises a part of the project?

Edited by Pugsley

Out of interest, if you don't mind telling me, which loco was the sound recorded from, please?  It might just be me, but the engine doesn't sound as refined as I remember them.

Thanks for your interest.

You are quite correct, these sounds are not from a Sentinel. The Rolls-Royce engines are much quieter. I wanted something with a bit of impact for this demo only. It is not intended to be authentic, I thought that was clear from the You Tube description. I'll check and amend if necessary, thanks.

It's just a diesel sound project I loaded onto a decoder quickly to demonstrate that sound could be added to this diminutive model, though the horn is infact from a Sentinel.

I have recordings from several Sentinels of different types so I will be working up a better representation shortly. That is what will be in the next video and the sound project from Digitrains. 

Kind regards,

Paul

Well on the basis of the thread and the photos I have just ordered one!

if the technology works, there is a link to a video I took and posted on Youtube of a Sentinel four wheeler working at Brit Zinc Avonmouth - with authentic noises! I filmed it working in 1998 - the loco and its sister worked until 2003

Best wishes

Devonbelle

• Like 6

Hi 

Little update about my NCB one, Phoned Hornby  and asked if they had a could send me the missing parts and i would fix it myself, No sorry we do not have any extra bits to send you!, He told me that i should take it back to the shop and get it replaced, Sorry but the shop do's not have anymore in, Ok if you wait until the end of Feb that when well will have more coming in and we maybe able to give you the missing parts then.

So what do i do now, take it back or wait and hope for a spare parts are available in Feb.

Hi 

Little update about my NCB one, Phoned Hornby  and asked if they had a could send me the missing parts and i would fix it myself, No sorry we do not have any extra bits to send you!, He told me that i should take it back to the shop and get it replaced, Sorry but the shop do's not have anymore in, Ok if you wait until the end of Feb that when well will have more coming in and we maybe able to give you the missing parts then.

So what do i do now, take it back or wait and hope for a spare parts are available in Feb.

Best option is to take it back to the shop and obtain a refund.

Regards,

Paul

Yep just take it back.  It was obviously fitted at some point and if you cant find it in the box or on the carpet, then it was broken by mishandling either when it was packed at the factory or at the shop if it was test run.

Well on the basis of the thread and the photos I have just ordered one!

if the technology works, there is a link to a video I took and posted on Youtube of a Sentinel four wheeler working at Brit Zinc Avonmouth - with authentic noises! I filmed it working in 1998 - the loco and its sister worked until 2003

Best wishes

Devonbelle

Devonbelle,

Thanks for posting this video. You can see/hear that there is not a great deal of sound or variation from the engine even under load.

This gets to a fundamental question about sound projects. Should the sound be as authentic as possible, even if that means it is uninteresting or, in the case of some horns I've recorded from other loco types, just plain horrible?

Or should the sound author use a bit of discretion to make operating the model more exciting, more immersive or simply more pleasant?

Please. These are rhetorical questions, I don't want this post hijacking on this point. If you wish to add to this debate there is an existing thread here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/44317-should-dcc-sound-favour-prototypical-or-pleasing/?p=482720

What I have decided to do is to provide two sound projects on the same decoder. One will be for the times the user wants as much authenticity as possible, and the other will have an alternative, something more like the sounds in the clip I posted.

Users will be able to select the sound project they prefer by changing CV265. This can be done as often as you wish, giving greater choice to the end user.

Kind regards,

Paul

Edited by pauliebanger

<snip> he only got the blue NCB one in this morning, So i do not think it was a shop return.<snip>

When I spoke to my local retailer they were saying that Hornby arranged that the courriers would work late and make sure the delivery of the new items in stock were made before christmas. The retialer also said that Hornby's dispatch wouldn't be open again til 6th Jan (Monday).

Quite how your retailer got theirs on 2nd Jan...

It does sound like a shop return (or something odd is going on)

Luke

Thanks for your interest.

You are quite correct, these sounds are not from a Sentinel. The Rolls-Royce engines are much quieter. I wanted something with a bit of impact for this demo only. It is not intended to be authentic, I thought that was clear from the You Tube description. I'll check and amend if necessary, thanks.

I'll be honest and say that I didn't read the video description at all, so was just going with my ears!

It's just a diesel sound project I loaded onto a decoder quickly to demonstrate that sound could be added to this diminutive model, though the horn is infact from a Sentinel.

I have recordings from several Sentinels of different types so I will be working up a better representation shortly. That is what will be in the next video and the sound project from Digitrains.

Cool! That will be just the thing for my Judith Edge one, when I get round to building it, hopefully later this year.