Hornby Sentinel - including cranked version

Southernman46

• RMweb Premium

Amazon aren't "actually" selling the Tarmac version though. They have it listed on their website with a delivery time of 1-2 months. Just like Hattons has it on the site for preorder. 

I have the Tarmac one on the table next to me right now, it arrived within a few days of ordering from them...

I never actually realised they sold such things - I would much rather buy from a model shop, but since they seemed to be selling out pretty quick, all the versions, and since I wasn't going to be able to get to any of my usual shops, I decided to get one where I could, and was a little surprised to find it on Amazon!

I ran It for the first time today, on DC on a DCC layout, and as many others have said already, was very impressed with it.  There were a few small stutters over some Hornby insulfrog points, but overall, it was very smooth and quiet.  Well done Hornby, and like others have already said, plain coloured ones, or ones in undercoat/grey, would be very welcome too!

I wonder if supplying the model on its own in unpainted grey would be a first for the UK market (although I believe it's fairly common in the US)?

Regards,

Alex.

Yes it is more common in the USA but all the ones I've bought are bare black plastic. Dapol did do a Class 56 unpainted in grey plastic.

I wouldn't necessarily need a Sentinel unpainted just available in primary colours Red,Blue Green and Yellow without owners markings I don't want a loco working in Kent & Surrey Cement with NCB markings.

As I posted above (#550), the last Tarmac one was available at lunchtime yesterday but had been sold shortly afterwards, at which point availability became 1-2 months.

Agreed when I looked it was defiantly listed as next day delivery.

There's just one NCB Sentinel left at Amazon at present. (Poor thing must be feeling lonely!). Of course I succumbed; I also bought one of the Tarmac ones after I posted earlier but being a cheapskate, I opted for free delivery - it'll be here sooner or later :-). 

On the availibility question, I saw yesterday that all the Sentinel variants were being advertised for sale on the Hornby Shop site, although the Tarmac one is back on "stock notification" already!  I haven't really kept an eye on their stock levels, but if this stock is the result of a new batch (post Xmas), then the silence from the usual retailers is deafening, unless Hornby is embargoing stock until they've sold some on their own account. We may have been lucky with Amazon, they sometimes jump the gun, usually with popular books, but I'm not complaining!

• RMweb Premium

On the availibility question, I saw yesterday that all the Sentinel variants were being advertised for sale on the Hornby Shop site, although the Tarmac one is back on "stock notification" already!  I haven't really kept an eye on 

The Hornby web site now seems to be showing the Tarmac one as in stock - it lets you put it in your basket anyway.

It's showing as *New* unlike the other Sentinels.

• RMweb Gold

I've given my Sentinel - with the pre-production Ultrascale P4 wheelsets in - some 'running in', but hard-wiring the power direct to the pick-ups and running it for half an hour or so in each direction, with the loco upside down. I've now had a bit of a play with it on 'Callow Lane', and it's even more sweet-running than it was before. I'm going to recommend to Ultrascale that their P4 wheelsets, certainly, are 'fit for purpose'. All in all, it's just a lovely little loco and extremely good value as well.

• Like 3

Sick to death of Hornby's failure to meet demand!!!

Well I don't think anything can be done if they are having problems with Kader. Look around of this forum and you will see. It's not only Hornby. Dapol are also hit quite badly and so are a few European brands. This things can't be sorted out overnight...it will take a few years.

They have actually not been that hard to get hold of. My pre orders have not been met but I have still manage to buy a couple from other sources and indeed still can, if you wanted one badly enough you could still have bought one.

Its possible to get all the Sentinel variants at present, that is, if you're willing to pay "list" (ie Hornby webshop) price and look about a bit.  Who'd have thought that Amazon would have had a stock of the previously unreleased Tarmac version?  And Hornby is currently offering all versions for immediate delivery.  Given, if you've pre-ordered from conventional suppliers after the first batch sold out, especially for a good price, then you'll still be waiting.  But given that Hattons predicted "after the 24th February" and that Hornby seem to have stock, then the probability is that we'll get what we want!  *fingers crossed*

My Tarmac liveried Sentinel arrived from Amazon yesterday. To say that I'm impressed with the model would be putting it politely!

I've just had a browse through that auction site - some weathered red and blue Sentinels around the 80 quid mark, a couple at Hornby List, and two "Holden 101" tanl locos that Hornby named "Sentinel" (R854) at vastly inflated prices!