Hornby Sentinel - including cranked version

Southernman46

I hope so Phil, that would certainly encourage more in an industrial vein. It's a lovely little loco and they've priced it right, it's at a near impulse purchase level (well as close as an RTR loco could ever be) tempting in buyers who would otherwise have passed it by.

I'd second the usefulness of a plain-livery model (although point taken: not that much to remove on some of the current models as it is) - better yet, presumably there was a Sentinel demonstrator livery for the first few? And 10003/1959 looks to have had a nice Bass livery by 1961, too ;).

I suspect Hornby now have their higher-spec J94/Austerity tank diesel equivalent that they can keep on the range in various liveries and modifications (maybe a Vanguard cab as well as the rod version) for years to come. It's an excellent choice, but my guess would be that will be it from them for new diesel industrials for quite some time.

I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong though...

• RMweb Premium

I'd second the usefulness of a plain-livery model (although point taken: not that much to remove on some of the current models as it is) - better yet, presumably there was a Sentinel demonstrator livery for the first few? And 10003/1959 looks to have had a nice Bass livery by 1961, too ;).

I suspect Hornby now have their higher-spec J94/Austerity tank diesel equivalent that they can keep on the range in various liveries and modifications (maybe a Vanguard cab as well as the rod version) for years to come. It's an excellent choice, but my guess would be that will be it from them for new diesel industrials for quite some time.

I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong though...

Looking at many images i think the NCB one is pretty close to a standard or demonstrator livery as you will get. It's almost the same as the MSC ones in Don Thorpe's book, dark blue with a yellow-black-yellow band along the waist. this image shows it nicely: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rob50037/11938066456/ There is also an image in the book of an 0-6-0 rod driven loco in that livery as MSC 3001, works number 10144. 

The dark blue is also similar to an image of an 0-6-0 rod-driven version shown on page 40 of Maurice Dart's 'Cornish China Clay Trains in Colour'

It's the prevalence of this livery that has led me to pre-order one from LIverpool, sadly mine wasn't sent out in the first batch that arrived and i'm waiting on a second delivery. In the meantime i bought an Esso one, just because...

Hope this helps , Nik. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The standard factory colour was green. The three London Transport 0-6-0's were in this colour, LT simply added the transfers.

Is there a reason for the apparent prevalence of the dark blue with the striping then Phil? Is it a standard colour or merely a coincidence?

Ta in advance, Nik.

• RMweb Premium

Is there a reason for the apparent prevalence of the dark blue with the striping then Phil? Is it a standard colour or merely a coincidence?

Ta in advance, Nik.

They may have had a set of 'standard' colours. The London one's were second hand and re-furbished by Sentinel so it could have been that the 'standard' colour had changed or just the colour that was available.

Thanks. That seems fair enough and it's useful - green also appears quite common with some of the steam types. One of the images of the Bass Sentinel has lining similar to the Hornby Esso one; to me the LT green ones don't quite match the Hornby Tarmac shade, but all three colours look plausible as standards. Really I'd love to see a colour image of the very first one on the Shropshire and Montgomeryshire in MOD service in 1959 for maximum potential might-have-been (short of looking at their archives?), but you can't have everything. :)

Its possible to get all the Sentinel variants at present, that is, if you're willing to pay "list" (ie Hornby webshop) price and look about a bit.  Who'd have thought that Amazon would have had a stock of the previously unreleased Tarmac version?  And Hornby is currently offering all versions for immediate delivery.  Given, if you've pre-ordered from conventional suppliers after the first batch sold out, especially for a good price, then you'll still be waiting.  But given that Hattons predicted "after the 24th February" and that Hornby seem to have stock, then the probability is that we'll get what we want!  *fingers crossed*

My Tarmac liveried Sentinel arrived from Amazon yesterday. To say that I'm impressed with the model would be putting it politely!

I've just had a browse through that auction site - some weathered red and blue Sentinels around the 80 quid mark, a couple at Hornby List, and two "Holden 101" tanl locos that Hornby named "Sentinel" (R854) at vastly inflated prices!

There's an Esso one there right now for £55 post free.....

Tony

Well I am still waiting for my pre-ordered Tarmac from Sept.  Hattons last email said on or after the 24th so any day now i should get.........another email pushing it back.  

If Hattons DO push it back, Amazon has 5 MORE Tarmac Sentinels in stock (there's an NCB too), admittedly now at 10 quid more than Hattons, although Amazon will deliver free. Its swings and roundabouts with added instant gratification..... But if Amazon is getting stock, then its probable that Hattons will have some too and be able to service their pre-orders in the next couple of days!

Always look on the bright side of life!  departs whistling......

• RMweb Premium

If Hattons DO push it back, Amazon has 5 MORE Tarmac Sentinels in stock (there's an NCB too), admittedly now at 10 quid more than Hattons, although Amazon will deliver free. Its swings and roundabouts with added instant gratification..... But if Amazon is getting stock, then its probable that Hattons will have some too and be able to service their pre-orders in the next couple of days!

Always look on the bright side of life!  departs whistling......

Anyone have an idea as to why/how Amazon seems to be getting these before the regular model shops? 

Isn't Hornby supposed to be supporting "bricks and mortar" shops?

Anyone have an idea as to why/how Amazon seems to be getting these before the regular model shops? 

Isn't Hornby supposed to be supporting "bricks and mortar" shops?

Hornby now appear to prefer supporting their concessions or their own web shop first. Some models are available this route earlier or in more quantity than through the Small Independents. No doubt Amazon are treated as a concession as they are not discounting and can shift decent volumes. Even Hattons and the other bulk but model shops do not seem to get preferential treatment any more.

• RMweb Premium

Hornby now appear to prefer supporting their concessions or their own web shop first. Some models are available this route earlier or in more quantity than through the Small Independents. No doubt Amazon are treated as a concession as they are not discounting and can shift decent volumes. Even Hattons and the other bulk but model shops do not seem to get preferential treatment any more.

At the moment the Sentinels on Amazon appear to be at full price (insofar as there is such a thing these days) but I'm pretty sure I saw one of them (the Tarmac one?) at £45 at one point.

Of course Amazon being what it is, there's no knowing if tomorrow some or all will drop to £45 or less, only to go up again apparently at random.

At the moment the Sentinels on Amazon appear to be at full price (insofar as there is such a thing these days) but I'm pretty sure I saw one of them (the Tarmac one?) at £45 at one point.

Of course Amazon being what it is, there's no knowing if tomorrow some or all will drop to £45 or less, only to go up again apparently at random.

When the Tarmacs were first noticed, they were at £47 (and a bit). When they sold out, they could be back-ordered at £45 (annoyed me slightly!), and when they came back into stock, they were at £55.99. If you had pre-ordered at £45, you'd have got one for that.

I see that there's not been any movement in Amazon stock levels since the Sentinels re-stocked, perhaps people are hanging back until the 24th to see what happens?

:-)

• RMweb Premium

I see that there's not been any movement in Amazon stock levels since the Sentinels re-stocked, perhaps people are hanging back until the 24th to see what happens?

Hattons are still saying they are expected on the 24th, so I think the answer to what might happen on the 24th is not a lot. And yes, they do say 2014!

Hattons are still saying they are expected on the 24th, so I think the answer to what might happen on the 24th is not a lot. And yes, they do say 2014!

Spoke to Hattons (ok, emailed them) yesterday, they "expect" stock by the end of the week, dispatch to follow....

Hi, very tempted by the red one, reminds me of the little loco that used to be at Hilsea gas works near Portsmouth!

But I am a bit worried it will look plasticy? does it?

Also, Hattons don't seem to have any in stock but are offering them at £45 which seems good, anywhere else doing a good deal.

Hi, very tempted by the red one, reminds me of the little loco that used to be at Hilsea gas works near Portsmouth!

But I am a bit worried it will look plasticy? does it?

Also, Hattons don't seem to have any in stock but are offering them at £45 which seems good, anywhere else doing a good deal.

Yes, the red one does under certain lighting look a tad plasticky but is actually not so bad. I have a blue one and that looks ok but will have to be repainted after making the basic bodywork corrections such as losing the vertical join in the side sheet below the cab front and filling and facing the frame sides which are an all-welded assembly on the prototype. This has all been well-covered before in this thread I think.

Hattons have a blanket £4 per order postage charge but I got mine from Amazon for a bit under what I would have paid Hattons. However, if I had several items to order from them to come as one consignment then I would happily, as i have done in the past, go to them.