Hornby Sentinel - including cranked version

Southernman46

• RMweb Premium

Just a heads up that the next Sentinel is (according to Rails of Sheffield) only 2 weeks away.

Its R3576, Chain drive No19 of Barrington Light railway.

I've checked on the Hornby website and this also says October for delivery.

R3577 Rod drive 'Graham' is still showing as February '18.

Owen

• Like 1

If in need of some inspiration there's some cracking photos here: 

https://aligrieve.smugmug.com/PreservedRailways/Rocks-by-Rail/RBR-OIC-day/i-945rXxS

3 Oxfordshire Ironstone Sentinels together in one place, a lovely sight...

Paul A. 

Absolutely splendid photies. Barabel has just had a repaint.

• Like 1

Just a heads up that the next Sentinel is (according to Rails of Sheffield) only 2 weeks away.

Its R3576, Chain drive No19 of Barrington Light railway.

I've checked on the Hornby website and this also says October for delivery.

R3577 Rod drive 'Graham' is still showing as February '18.

Owen

Hi Owen,

R3576 is due into us today, so presumably the same at other dealers. We were advised by Hornby that the price was going up on 9th October to £99.99p. I asked if this was a mistake as it was a huge increase, especially for an 0-4-0. It was explained to me why the huge increase was necessary. Hornby website showing £64.99p.

R3577, "Graham" is showing as £99.99p.

Hi Owen,

R3576 is due into us today, so presumably the same at other dealers. We were advised by Hornby that the price was going up on 9th October to £99.99p. I asked if this was a mistake as it was a huge increase, especially for an 0-4-0. It was explained to me why the huge increase was necessary. Hornby website showing £64.99p.

WOW! Now that is a massive price jump!  :O

• RMweb Premium

I must be lucky then.

Hattons have e-mailed me to say mine is being despatched today. I am being charged the pre-order price of £59.00.

I may have to re-think my pre-order for Graham, as I'm not sure they are worth almost a £100 each.

Owen

• RMweb Gold

Hi Owen,

Yikes. I liked the look of R3577 enough to pre-order one through my local dealer, but I don't want one that badly. :triniti:

John

I must be lucky then.

Hattons have e-mailed me to say mine is being despatched today. I am being charged the pre-order price of £59.00.

I may have to re-think my pre-order for Graham, as I'm not sure they are worth almost a £100 each.

Owen

We were told that if pre-ordered before the cut off date in October 2017, we would get them at the original price. If your dealer has already placed your order then they may and we certainly would honour that original price. I would check before cancelling your order.

• RMweb Premium

That's a fair increase*, I foresee a rush of sales of cheaper older versions at places like Hattons (£40), Rails (£44.50)...

That said, the RRP isn't necessarily a good guide to what they'll sell for, I can see them still being quite affordable little models.  And I certainly hope that the price increase won't put people off buying them such that Hornby reduces the number of they produce in the future...

*EDIT: Re-reading this post, I should clarify that I meant "fair increase" as in "significant increase", not as in "reasonable increase"!

Edited by JDW

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've owned the model for a couple of years and only just noticed that the valances seem quite flimsy. Still considering the option to cut them off.

If you've only noticed after a few years, they can't be that bad!  And surely no worse than the fine detail on many other models? 

Solutions: 1: Make them thicker (and people moan about the over scale thickness).  2: Handle it carefully and lift with the cabsides or bottom when handling.  

• RMweb Premium

I ended up taking the hand rails off. This photo was taken before I removed the excess paint.

Only a crazy nitwit would say that then forget to include the photo...   :jester:

(That will make absolutely no sense of course, if you change your username, and then I'll be left looking the fool...  :O )

Only a crazy nitwit would say that then forget to include the photo...   :jester:

(That will make absolutely no sense of course, if you change your username, and then I'll be left looking the fool...  :O )

I've only just checked it now. I thought the image had loaded. That's a shame. I'll have to try again

• RMweb Premium

I must be lucky then.

Owen

Kernow have the R3576 Barrington (in stock) and R3577 Oxfordshire Ironstone (due soon) Sentinels listed at £55.99 based on a RRP of £64.99

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Looking back to the earlier 'non-cranked' version I came across these (may have posted much earlier on in the thread).

I took this one at Plymouth Cattewater bitumen terminal around 2007 IIRC. It had been parked up for some years.

post-6728-0-43889000-1513514600_thumb.jpg

Same loco restored at the East Somerset Railway (I think that it was)

post-6728-0-34067200-1513515028_thumb.jpg

:offtopic: The 6 wheeled (Sentinel?) version which was still in use at the time. Don't know if it was saved.

post-6728-0-61597800-1513515304_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-23510500-1513515386_thumb.jpg

This was the state of the track back then (all gone now I think) that both an 08 and sometimes an EWS 66 used to traverse with the trip working.

post-6728-0-56483800-1513515642_thumb.jpg

Edited by Re6/6
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

There's already a thread on the branch:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/64585-plymouth-cattewater-branch/page-3

I've linked to page three because of the locomotive featured there.

Could it be this one:

http://www.eastsomersetrailway.com/gallery.php?gid=298

Hope it's of use.

Regards,

Alex.

Edited by Alex TM