Hornby's CCT

phil gollin

• RMweb Gold

Mine's replacing an old kit-built one that was made before I got better at it and is beginning to show its age.

A touch of weathering and some matt varnish will soon sort out the slightly plasticky look of the (BR livery) sides which is all that really lets it down. The finish on the LMS version is better.

The wheels need blackening but the van it's replacing has Gibsons under it, so I may reuse them instead.

I haven't had to mess about with it to get a pair of Kadee #19 couplers properly lined up.

Nice job, Hornby and very good value, too.

I like it a lot and I'll probably get another; nine and a half out of ten from me.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

I have a LMS Brown one very nice too. Can anyone assist with brake gear details, as there is not a lot underneath !

There wasn't all that much on the real thing.

It's a pretty standard clasp brake set up that just needs yokes between the brake hangers with rods to a crank added to the cross shaft.

Just like an ordinary LMS fitted van but longer.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Premium

Making a start on weathering mine (BR version), I've taken it apart this afternoon - I like to paint the underframe and body separately where possible.  There are three clips at the bottom of the body on either side.  It seemed safest to unclip the left hand one first as it's not near a brake lever, and work my way along.  I must admit, on closer inspection I was quite impressed by the underframe moulding.  I like the way the ends of the headstocks are moulded extremely thinly; not far off scale thickness, I should think.  The axleguards are also commendably thin mouldings, and the brake levers and v hangers are also quite fine, with the brake levers being 'plain' and 'Morton clutch' type on either side.  A first I think for a Hornby vehicle is the representation of the 'underslung' flexible vacuum connections already fitted on the headstocks; the 'spine' of the underframe includes a representation of a through vacuum pipe.  The buffers were very slightly off straight on mine; not sure whether it's noticeable enough to be worth trying to correct.  There isn't much other brake gear represented under the floor; in truth apart from the thin pull rods, and yokes between the brake shoes, there isn't much else there anyway.  Hornby have included as much as I did on my Parkside one!  On the body, they've certainly made a much better job of cramming the lettering into the spaces between the framing than I was able to do using transfers.

Mainly Trains do some very nice brake gear etches - all the bits you would ever need to do a credible job at rigging.  These have Iain Rice's fingerprints all over them.  It's disappointing that the brake gear isn't more complete - unlike the GWR Horsebox.

John

There wasn't all that much on the real thing.

It's a pretty standard clasp brake set up that just needs yokes between the brake hangers with rods to a crank added to the cross shaft.

Just like an ordinary LMS fitted van but longer.

John

No idea re LMS Brake layout . Is the LNER version similar as have photos of that arrangement ?

• RMweb Gold

No idea re LMS Brake layout . Is the LNER version similar as have photos of that arrangement ?

Pretty much the same, its really only the levers and links attached to the solebars that are distinctively different.

Certainly the yokes and links underneath are similar enough not to be easily distinguishable.

John

• RMweb Gold

Mine seemed a bit light when I put it with some other stock so I weighed it (the Gibson wheels I fitted lose a few grammes compared to the originals).

It came out at 42g, which is rather less than I would normally expect for a long wheelbase van. I have added an extra 10g and it now feels about right.

John

• RMweb Gold

Pretty much the same, its really only the levers and links attached to the solebars that are distinctively different.

Certainly the yokes and links underneath are similar enough not to be easily distinguishable.

John

Nip

The question was about the layout of the equipment, not the detail. Scale yokes won't fit between the brake shoes, making the (small) differences between LMS and LNER ones immaterial in this context and a pull rod is a pull rod.

We're only looking for a fairly rudimentary representation of the yokes in plastic strip/rod so it looks like they are present. Adding a crank to the cross shaft and a couple of lengths of wire to represent the pull rods to reduce the daylight under the middle should complete the impression i think Mick wants to create.

It's not really worth taking it any further unless one is converting the van to P4 when all the 'dead right' bits will actually fit.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

My attempts at upgrading.

D & S brake yokes.

Dave Franks buffers.

Odds and sods out of the spares bin.

Pedantically the brakes probably won't work, but it preserved my sanity and it's better than what Hornby put there.

attachicon.gif116.jpg

attachicon.gif122.jpg

attachicon.gif125.jpg

Mike.

Looks good, but a bit prone to causing short circuits if anything ever moves! :)

John

• RMweb Gold

A really basic question here, but is it suitable in crimson for the mid 1950's period or is more for post 58 ?

Phil

Should be OK for mid-'50s. Any repaints into the darker maroon wouldn't have happened before 1956 and many would have been somewhat later.

John

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I thought I'd add my a couple of pictures of my upgrades to the vans.  I didn't do the yokes as John did but managed to get the rigging looking suitably busy:

P1010006_zps17978abe.jpg

My reference was LMS Journal 31 which has some good reproductions of works drawings.

The underside:

P1010007_zps95e51119.jpg

I ended up replacing the brake levers with Mainly Trains parts.  The couplings are scale head Kadees.

John (the other one)

• Like 5

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I see from Kernow Model Rail Centre's latest newsletter of 28 August that all 4 versions of the LNER CCT are due this coming week. Astonishing, to me at least, as we haven't even seen any decorated samples. It will be interesting to compare it with the LMS CCT, covered fully in the thread above.

John

Problem with Hornby is in more than one instance referring to the meaningless BR body colour 'red' - done it with the ex-SR Van B too. And that's without catalogue descriptions of 'maroon' when the livery on the delivered product is actually 'crimson'...

• RMweb Premium

I picked up one of these from Monk Bar Models in York this afternoon - BR version R6683, E1341E.

First impressions were good, but I was surprised to find only half the windows glazed!  The outer pairs of windows are glazed, but the pairs of windows between the doors are moulded solid.  On closer inspection there seems to be a faint representation of the mesh covering over these windows that can be seen in some pictures (and hinted at in Nick Campling's drawing reproduced in Tatlow's 'Historic Carriage Drawings vol. 3), although I believe in reality this was fitted inside the glazing.  On the plus side, the body is neatly moulded, with handrails neatly moulded as part of the body.

The solebars carry the upper and lower stepboards as separate fittings (the lower ones are particularly vulnerable on the Parkside kit), and a good representation of the LNER fitted stock brake gear, with the reversing linkage on one side and the vacuum cylinder on the other.  Unlike the LMS van, as well as the cross shaft, there are representations of the pull rods leading out towards the brake shoes.  The brake shoes are neatly in line with the wheels, but there are no yokes fitted.  The wheelsets themselves run in the same inside bearing arrangement as the SR Van C - presumably this is intended to impart some degree of compensation to improve the road holding of the long wheelbase?  Nevertheless the vehicle seems quite free running, although not very heavy.

On the ends, the buffers are unsprung but have neat metal heads with correctly 'clipped' tops, and the buffer bodies look accurate in shape.  The lamp irons are integrally moulded, but there are vacuum 'bags' below the headstocks, as per the LMS CCT.

On the roof, the torpedo ventilators are moulded as part of the roof rather than being separate items; however they don't look out of place.  The circular oil lamp tops (or covers?) however are separate mouldings - on mine, one wasn't pushed right down.  The Parkside model makes no provision for these fittings.  According to the 1974 RCTS Coaching Stock book these vans were oil lit, although I wonder whether that actually still applied in 1974?!

The livery uses the same shade of red as the ex LMS CCT, WR Horsebox, etc., and the lettering is neatly applied in yellow on the right hand end, much more neatly than I've managed to achieve with transfers!  The solebars carry white printed representations of the number plates, as well as exam dates and the vac release star symbol.  The roof has a realistically matt (if rather light) grey finish.

I'll try and take some photos later and post them up.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

OK, the photography didn't take long - here's a few quick snaps, with two vans built from Parkside kits in the background for comparison.

View from above.  The Parkside kit's roof is plain so I've added vents, lamp fittings and rain strips to the kit built ones myself; I must admit the position of the rain strips is 'guestimated' to some extent and Hornby's is no doubt more accurate.  You can see that the middle lamp fitting on the Hornby version isn't pushed right down.  I haven't managed to break into the van yet to see whether this can be improved, but in reality it probably isn't worth bothering with.

post-31-0-22223800-1409758931.jpg

A couple of side views.  My camera / lighting combination doesn't do BR 'crimson' any favours; in reality the Hornby van doesn't appear so garish and seems to be the same colour used for the ex LMS van, and some weathering will tone it down further.

post-31-0-18207000-1409759355.jpg

post-31-0-31969100-1409759376.jpg

Underside view:

post-31-0-19067300-1409759394.jpg

For those who are interested, the 'factory code' on the box is TAL.

• Like 1

Very nice, I think those photo's also demonstrate the quality of the Parkside kit too   :locomotive:

Hmmm - get a couple to repaint or wait for a potential blue one ??

No hint of a blue LMS cct yet either - so what to do :O ??

Edited by Southernman46

Pretty sure these load to 8T like the LMS van.  Have a quick look on the Hornby website, the lettering is easily legible on their photos of the model.

These were pretty much universally well travelled like the vast majority of common user NPCCS by the sixties and seventies.