Hornby's CCT

phil gollin

• RMweb Gold

Unfortunately, this seems to be becoming a habit:

A word of warning; (yes, it's another warning from Phatbob)

I popped into my local model shop on the way home tonight and was delighted to discover that the new ex-LNER CCTs had arrived.  So I bought an R6683 (E 1342 E) and R6683A (E 1326 E).  I got them home and discovered that both boxes contained a model of E 1326 E.  Doh!
So folks, especially those of you in the mail order business, check what's in the box with these.
Fortunately, my local model shop is very good and very local, so there's no problem in taking it back next time they're open.  Others of you are probably not so lucky.

My LNER version had just arrived from Liverpool, and very nice it is too. I've got a Parkside one in maroon awaiting lettering (it has been for several years now, despite me buying the model master set a while ago!)

The teak colour seems to be a very close match for the Precision Paints version so should sit nicely among my other LNER stock as the solebars will match nicely with the Kirk ones I've painted with the aforementioned colour.

My only quibble would be with the the two centre sets of windows which are moulded as part of the body side. Hopefully some thinned black paint should improve their appearance while still keeping the mesh visible.

Overall a very nice addition to the range of Hornby's CCTs with some very nice moulded details and separately fitted items such as steps and brake gear.

Cheers

J

Don't ask which numpty went into T4U this morning, and picked up a BR livery CCT; Only to find on getting home he had chosen the LMS CCT instead of the LNER.....

Still, a quick phone call to Joanne and it is sorted, 6 of each of the LNER/BR variants arrived yesterday, and weren't unpacked. 1x BR livery is reserved for mee....

Stewart

ps got the last Bachmann BR inspection saloon too, still an LMS and BR Blue version left.

I have a Hornby LNER CCT van winging its way to OZ today from L'pool.  I have a Parkside kit which is finished and one still to be made.

I also succumbed to the LMS inspection coach.  Wasn't going to, but what the heck.. Very nice looking they are.

A P2, D16,J15, Model Rail D11 and NRM (LNER) C1 all to come in the next few months (and a Q6 late next year) will hit the bank balance a little in the next while.  Will have to save for the kits of D10, G5 and J21 next year.  Unless they come r-t-r first.

Mark in OZ

This Hornby LNER CCT( C) was pre-ordered some time ago and forgotten about, however a model arrived an hour ago - thanks to Hattons. I built one a few years back from a kit but I can't find it at the mo! I'm a sucker for non-passenger carrying vans and these 37 footers were by far the largest examples of 4-wheel CCT inherited by BR and BR added over 50 more apparently. The model carries BR 1949-56 carmine red livery....

post-6680-0-67963700-1409850568_thumb.jpg

The underframe is neatly detailed.....

post-6680-0-26447800-1409850571.jpg

...as is the roof and ends....

post-6680-0-51607700-1409850572.jpg

Removing the chassis : The four retaining lugs are just above the outer axleboxes. I have coloured one green.  Push in ones thumb nails and prize the body off the chassis. The lugs are shallow and chassis - body parted easily....

post-6680-0-49806300-1409850573.jpg

Changing the wheels : The lugs (I have coloured them red) should be pulled towards each other and pushed through the holes to release the wheel holding bracket.....

post-6680-0-55528000-1409850574.jpg

There is clearance between the 'W' irons for P4 gauge wheels as shown below in front of the 00 Gauge Hornby wheels.....

post-6680-0-67568400-1409850575.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 3

I've taken a few photos of my LNER liveried version coupled to my in progress Kirk non corridor full brake. They are poised on my length of test track, hence all they mess and clutter!

post-7895-0-48237300-1409854595_thumb.jpg

post-7895-0-49636100-1409854557_thumb.jpg

post-7895-0-31355900-1409854427_thumb.jpg

post-7895-0-99551700-1409854624_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure if the wheels spud be white walled, just painted black, either way, thanks to Coach, I now know how to get them out to do said modification!

A brief test roll has highlighted that one or two of the brake shoes is rubbing slightly but that should be easy enough to solve.

Cheers

J

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

These were pretty much universally well travelled like the vast majority of common user NPCCS by the sixties and seventies.

Both this LNER and the LMS van look good but I will be holding off a purchase until they appear in a later livery. Presumably they were maroon before going into BR Blue?

Both this LNER and the LMS van look good but I will be holding off a purchase until they appear in a later livery. Presumably they were maroon before going into BR Blue?

Just buy one and rub it in a mixture of peat, fag ash, soot and coal dust for that authentic neglected look.

One is on it's way to me as I write.

Do those rain strips look a bit thick?

Otherwise published photos look good.

The buffers, so often a sore point, do look rather tasty.

Bernard

I have two on their way to Oz. My only whinge, which is not confined to this model, why do Hornby put their couplings so far out? Yes, I have moved them in on all my other Hornby stock, but...........?

Looking forward to these, and the D16. K1.. hopefully a new beginning for the big H!

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

Edit: Looking at the LNER examples, I love the 'Not to work the Mersey Dock Estate'  lettering!  Why?

Edited by 45568

• RMweb Gold

Looking at the LNER examples, I love the 'Not to work the Mersey Dock Estate'  lettering!  Why?

Very long wheelbase four-wheelers and lines that have very tight radius curves and additionally weave in between the supports of the Overhead Railway and the road traffic of a big city just don't work together well.

• RMweb Premium

I noticed in the pictures on here it looks as though both BR and LNER models have only the outer windows glazed with the others painted over, was this standard for these vans?

No, I believe all the windows should be glazed; I was trying to explain this in post #48.

• RMweb Premium

Assuming transfers are available, it would be a simple job spraying over the carmine red body with BR maroon.

For the maroon van I built from a Parkside kit (see post #49) I used Modelmasters Minipack 8006 for the running number, and the 'XP', wheelbase and tare weight markings, with CCT© and the dimensional data coming from the HMRS Methfix sheet 14.  I believe the dimensional data on this sheet really applies to a standard BR CCT, but they were very similar and the lettering is tiny anyway!  I also replaced the word 'TARE' from the Modelmasters sheet with the version from the HMRS sheet, as the Modelmasters version has it in lower case ('Tare') which I don't think is correct for other than blue livery.

.........  So I bought an R6683 (E 1342 E) and R6683A (E 1326 E).  I got them home and discovered that both boxes contained a model of E 1326 E....... 

Sort of ditto.  I bought an R 6683 and R6683A  -  but as above the model inside was the same "E1341E" as shown in Coachman's post #59 above.

So, you must check.

• RMweb Premium

I was just having another look at the ex LNER CCT van, and wondered how best to tackle the solid windows.

Using the thinnest clear plastic to hand (actually packaging from a pack of Wills Scenic Materials), I cut a strip 2mm wide, and painted one side of it black.  Any black will do, but I had matt black to hand as I was painting the wheel centres and buffers, prior to some more serious weathering.  Matt dries quickest anyway, and when it was dry I cut pieces from the strip 9.5mm long, and laid them into the recesses where glazed widows should be.

Flooding the recess with Johnson's 'Klear' fixes the pieces in place (varnish would probably work as well).

Here's a 'work in progress' picture:

post-31-0-28332400-1410203161.jpg

From right, the windows originally glazed (above the number), in the centre a pair of windows with my glazing in place, and on the left a pair of unaltered windows as moulded solidly.

It seemed neater to do it this way than to try and paint the window recesses black; also doing it this way it was possible to assess whether it was worth doing by laying the new, painted glazing in place before securing it.  I think it is worth doing!

Thanks to Coachmann for telling us how to get inside this van, and having done so I found that only the middle of the three lamp fittings on the roof is a separate part; the others are moulded as part of the body - not sure why this would be!  Also, the more I studied the underframe in particular the more I was impressed by the finesses of the detailing, e.g. the triangular brackets between the solebars and the body.

Edit: Forgot to mention (although probably self evident), the new glazing goes painted side inwards!

Edited by 31A
  • Like 2