Dapol Class 121 and 122 in OO gauge

DapolDave

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

No surprises there then!  :rolleyes:

Yes it seems whatever yellow specified another gets used. Having now found 5 allowable yellows let alone depots messing about it is more than a minefield -add in old colour pics and equally faded memories plus faded paint and scale colour arguments the right yellow is a bit hard to tie down. But I think it is good that views are on show. Certainly all new work and not a simple up scale of N versions, so many photos to check and tie down pics to painted number is such fun (sometimes!)  well 4 years flies by but hopefully not much longer in the bigger picture

Robert 

• Like 1

More importantly, the green with whiskers appears to be the same shade as the green on the yellow panel version. I don't recall any Gloucesters in dark green with whiskers. They were delivered in light green ('malachite' as Brian Haresnape called it) and only received dark green when they were shopped and appeared with yellow panels. Or am I wrong? (CJL)

• RMweb Gold

More importantly, the green with whiskers appears to be the same shade as the green on the yellow panel version. I don't recall any Gloucesters in dark green with whiskers. They were delivered in light green ('malachite' as Brian Haresnape called it) and only received dark green when they were shopped and appeared with yellow panels. Or am I wrong? (CJL)

My memory suggests that you are right - in fact I even suspect that some received yellow panels before being repainted in dark green.

Or am I wrong?

Hesitate to disagree with two such notables but think you might be. As far as I'm aware those units the were finished in light green had whiskers but no lining. I've never seen a clearly identified photo that would contradict that. (Some dark green units has whiskers but no lining)

Every pic of a 121/122 I have shows lining.

I'll await elucidation :-)

As an aside are the green ones going to have full diameter oleo buffers ?

Stu

• RMweb Gold

Hesitate to disagree with two such notables but think you might be. As far as I'm aware those units the were finished in light green had whiskers but no lining. I've never seen a clearly identified photo that would contradict that. (Some dark green units has whiskers but no lining)

Every pic of a 121/122 I have shows lining.

I'll await elucidation :-)

As an aside are the green ones going to have full diameter oleo buffers ?

Stu

There's a Works picture on the Railcar Association site showng a 122 lined out and with whiskers. http://www.railcar.co.uk/type/class-122/

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There's a Works picture on the Railcar Association site showng a 122 lined out and with whiskers. http://www.railcar.co.uk/type/class-122/

W55000 is illustrated in Brian Haresnape's dmu volume as delivered - fully lined out as in the link posted by 'The SignalEngineer'.  It's an awfully long time ago and I never saw all of the Gloucester SPCs but the ones we had on the branch were definitely lined out as per that illustration.

The only units I can recall arriving new to the London Division unlined were the early deliveries of the Pressed Steel 3 car sets, all the Pressed Steel SPCs came fully lined and of course all were in the standard darker green.

• RMweb Gold

W55000 ex works from colourrail.com

http://www.colourrail.com/api/image/medium/7002e897-a2d6-4fcc-8889-d8d14d944074

I think all of the pictures I have seen for the Class 122 were lined. Other classes were a different story. Class 116 on our routes seemed to be unlined from new, but I have seen pictures of two unlined driving cars with a lined trailer between.

• Like 2