Dapol Class 121 and 122 in OO gauge

DapolDave

• RMweb Gold

A 121 is a temptation for Cwmdimbath, but has to be a low priority; by the time I get round to it, they'll probably be out of production again.  But I am considering the possibility of building a reserve of stcck for mid 60s operation, with the branch being closed to passengers by Beeching but still used for occasional excursions.  D68xx, D95xx, 08, 116, and 121, maybe even a Hymek on the Remploy parcels.

Steady on, lad, you haven't got all the steam engines you want yet!

• RMweb Gold

A 121 is a temptation for Cwmdimbath, but has to be a low priority; by the time I get round to it, they'll probably be out of production again. But I am considering the possibility of building a reserve of stcck for mid 60s operation, with the branch being closed to passengers by Beeching but still used for occasional excursions. D68xx, D95xx, 08, 116, and 121, maybe even a Hymek on the Remploy parcels.

Steady on, lad, you haven't got all the steam engines you want yet!

Just go for it ;-)

At the end of the day we are all collectors even if we are also modellers.

I have enough stock for half a dozen more layouts sitting around, and keep buying more. At my current rate it will take me two more years to finish the two layouts (one for my boys) before I even start on another.

Route learner bubble for me I think.

Roy

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Any single car based at Tyseley would have worked the branch at some time. Originally 122s,  002, which was the one that crashed off the end, 003, 009 and 012 were all pictured there. Of the 121s, 022 certainly got there as did 033 which carried the Midline livery for a short while.

I presume as the magazines have had their review samples that these are not far away now.. Having never owned a Dapol DMU before please can somebody advise how easy it is to remove the printed numbers and arrows on Dapol stock? I want to renumber mine and from the review photos the arrows look a bit chunky to me but am worried that the paintwork underneath may get damaged.

Thanks

From shots of the RR and B/G ones, the colours are looking good and the model captures the look of the real thing.  I can live with the livery errors highlighted so far (RR lettering too low and grey area on B/G one slightly too curved at the corners).

• RMweb Premium

Models on displsy at Quorn today. Look really nice. Dapol rep said they should be in the shops in a couple of weeks time. Looking forward to picking one up from Arcadia Models.

• RMweb Gold

Dapol have shown recently that they are capable of producing beautifully detailed models which capture the look ofthe prototypes extremely well. Looking at pics these railcars follow that path and if they get the colours/livery right and avoid qc niggles I think these will be winners.

Pity they can't do a mineral wagon with a correct wheelbase...

• RMweb Gold

Just go for it ;-)

At the end of the day we are all collectors even if we are also modellers.

I have enough stock for half a dozen more layouts sitting around, and keep buying more. At my current rate it will take me two more years to finish the two layouts (one for my boys) before I even start on another.

Route learner bubble for me I think.

Roy

It'll be a while yet before one in a pre-corporate blue livery, either with whiskers or SYP, turns up in the shops (I just typo-ed ships, but that is not exactly incorrect), so my money is safe for now.  I have spent far too much on locos recently and need to ease off, but if the Baccy 4575 appears any time soon...

But you have a point; I don't consider myself a collector but this is a lovely looking model that would be nice just to own.

I was once guard on one of the route learner 122s for a week teaching trainees the road from Cardiff to Margam, in the summer of '71.  The weather was good and we would have a lunch hour at Margam Moors before returning, via the Vale of Glamorgan, and had a baseball league going using a brake stick as the bat and a tin can for the ball, great fun!  Think of us if your route learner is a blue one...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have not been following this thread but have just been through it from top to tail.  Nowhere can I find any indication of the thinking that led to the adoption of the mechanism chosen.  I am sure it is more than adequately powered but this is at the cost of the unsightly interior moulding.  The photographs accompanying Chris Leigh's admirably thorough review in the August Model Rail make the interior moulding look like a trough of custard with lumps of rhubarb sticking up.  If I were a prospective purchaser, which I am not, i would file this under 'missed opportunity'.

Chris 

• RMweb Premium

Might be swayed and buy one. Not a great fan of single railcar on the basis they are not proper trains, but I'm thinking I could combine this either with my Lima 117 and make a 4 car train or even substitute the Lima power car with this model. That way at least one end looks like a 116, which looks as if it's a long way off if ever

• RMweb Gold

Might be swayed and buy one. Not a great fan of single railcar on the basis they are not proper trains, but I'm thinking I could combine this either with my Lima 117 and make a 4 car train or even substitute the Lima power car with this model. That way at least one end looks like a 116, which looks as if it's a long way off if ever

You can always hook a few wagons behind it - surely that is a proper train? Which, reference to the comment just before yours, is one of the benefits of the motor drive employed.

​Roy

• RMweb Gold

I have a 116 kitbashed/bodged/cobbled from the Lima 117 that I fabricated (built or constructed would be pushing it a bit, and knocked together is more descriptive) back in the 80s.  it required a total of 3 centre trailers in order to make a trailer second and a DMS; 2 would have been ok for a correct 117 with a DMS.  As well as the cut and shutting, the headcode boxes had to be removed, and, for my particular model, milliput domed cab roofs shaped up freestyle with a plastic box for the destination blind box and a brass tube put through for the top position marker lamp (I did not attempt the 2-character headcode version).  It is not a bad model, but because I know where the joins are it will never really cut the mustard for me, though it attracted favourable comment in it's day running on an exhibition layout.  One of the trickiest, faffiest, parts of producing it was chopping the seating mouldings about and lining them up with the windows!

I think underfloor drive is a good thing to aim for in dmus, even if floor level is compromised a little; my 116 has a brake van full of unsightly motor, which it nothing to do with it's conversion as the Lima 117 is similarly hobbled.  Lima's interior is not exactly to Pendon standards either, IMHO, but passes muster once painted and populated with a few passengers.  But the mechanism will pull a house down. more powerful than most of my locos, and can be made to run smoothly and slowly with careful driving and meticulous cleaning; if has the advantage of sounding a little bit like a dmu.  Though you really need DCC sound with rattling windows for one left idling in a bay...

The floor level is too high in Bachmann's Hawksworth auto trailer as well, in this case to accommodate wiring for lighting which is not provided!

Edited by The Johnster