Dapol Class 121 and 122 in OO gauge

DapolDave

• RMweb Gold

That looks pretty good, Rembrow.  As I recall this sort of working was a feature of the Tyesley workings out of Snow Hill and Moor Street, at any rate I do not remember it in South Wales or the Severn Beach line in Bristol.  The only possible criticism I might have of your idea is that there will be an obvious quality and finish mismatch between the two vehicles, which ought to be in favour of the Dapol.  Sometimes it's better to have are rake of equally poor models than mixing with better types...

The use of drive end trailers was by no means confined to working with single power cars.  In the early days of dmu operation out of Paddington, in winter 1959-60, there were some very odd formations.  3 car Cross Country unit plus drive end trailer was one, 3 car suburban set plus drive end trailer plus single power car another.  By the summer of 1961, when the Pressed Steel dmus later known as Class 117 had finally arrived, there was a booked working of two 3 car sets plus drive end trailer from Windsor to Paddington and back.  Doubtless there are other examples elsewhere.

Chris

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The use of drive end trailers was by no means confined to working with single power cars.  In the early days of dmu operation out of Paddington, in winter 1959-60, there were some very odd formations.  3 car Cross Country unit plus drive end trailer was one, 3 car suburban set plus drive end trailer plus single power car another.  By the summer of 1961, when the Pressed Steel dmus later known as Class 117 had finally arrived, there was a booked working of two 3 car sets plus drive end trailer from Windsor to Paddington and back.  Doubtless there are other examples elsewhere.

Chris

A few from my observations:

3-car class 119+DTS+3-car 117 on the Paddington - Bourne End train

Bubble+DTS+Bubble noted several times over the years on Southall/Reading class 117 rosters. Always seen with the trailer amidships - would this be to replicate the power distribution of a 117 as the trailer could otherwise be in any position?

4-car 117 with 101 trailer added + bubble + DTS (still short on power compared with two 117s)

Power twin 120 + DTS on a Bristol - Salisbury stopper.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I forget which one, but one of my books has a pic of 4 NSE cl.121s with an NSE cl.117 TCL in the middle!

Have also seen a b/g cl.121 replacing the DMBS in a white/blue cl.117 3-car

Had an e-mail delivery update from Hattons this morning, advising that stock of the 122 I have pre ordered, Western Region green with speed whiskers, is expected to arrive with them from 7th July. Better get a shimmy on with the 122 DTS conversion, just need to fit rear conduit piping and drivers doors handrails and it is ready for spraying -- then lining--oh how I hate lining a 63 ft coach!!

Edited by rembrow

• RMweb Gold

Had an e-mail delivery update from Hattons this morning, advising that stock of the 122 I have pre ordered, Western Region green with speed whiskers, is expected to arrive with them from 7th July. Better get a shimmy on with the 122 DTS conversion, just need to fit rear conduit piping and drivers doors handrails and it is ready for spraying -- then lining--oh how I hate lining a 63 ft coach!!

Funny that.The website shows Sept. /Oct. delivery still.

Chris

I have some photos (not taken by me) of a Gloucester DTS with two non-corridor coaches (might be a B set - can't remember) headed by a 61XX 2-6-2T in South Devon. (CJL)

• RMweb Gold

Ian, have just double checked and the Hattons site is showing on or after 7 July for all 4mm class 122s. The 4mm class 121s are showing as Sept/Oct.

Apologies....you are correct.Looking at the wrong bubble car.Should have gone to..etc.

I have some photos (not taken by me) of a Gloucester DTS with two non-corridor coaches (might be a B set - can't remember) headed by a 61XX 2-6-2T in South Devon. (CJL)

I have found the pictures in question.  They were taken on 27th March 1962 and are credited to the Ian Allan Library.  The two coaches are not a B set but an ex-GWR Collett corridor brake coach, possibly to diagram E146, and a BR standard non-corridor brake second on the short underframe.  The loco is 5153, at this time the favourite for Royal workings in the area, and I will take a punt on the driving trailer being W56297.  The images appear on page 73 of "The Western Before Beeching" by Chris Leigh [ian Allan 1990, £14.95, ISBN 0 7110 1898 7].  I doubt that Chris will recall signing my copy.

Chris 

I have found the pictures in question.  They were taken on 27th March 1962 and are credited to the Ian Allan Library.  The two coaches are not a B set but an ex-GWR Collett corridor brake coach, possibly to diagram E146, and a BR standard non-corridor brake second on the short underframe.  The loco is 5153, at this time the favourite for Royal workings in the area, and I will take a punt on the driving trailer being W56297.  The images appear on page 73 of "The Western Before Beeching" by Chris Leigh [ian Allan 1990, £14.95, ISBN 0 7110 1898 7].  I doubt that Chris will recall signing my copy.

Chris 

Thanks for that. I should remember the photographer's name but I don't. He was the only photographer to sell his photos to the library with the specific requirement that his name was NOT shown in credits. Normally the requirement was quite the opposite. I loved doing that book - the only one of my hardback books that IA never reprinted. It was also the only book on which I had a royalty contract. Could the two possibly be connected?!! I guess I signed it at a show? I'm guessing that the DTS in the pictures was being used purely due to a shortage of hauled stock in that instance. (CJL)

• RMweb Gold

Were these lined when they were introduced?  If they pre-dated lining and appeared originally in the lighter green with just the whiskers and no lining you might be able to save yourself lining a 63' coach.

• RMweb Gold

Would a class 101 soundfile be suitable for a 122?

By memory they sounded different, perhaps because of the exhausts being on the end? I did usually have them as single cars.

Legomanbiffo does do a single car sound chip.

Roy

All five standard release Class 122s now showing as 'in stock' at Hattons and I've had an e-mail to advise my pre-order has been processed. My 122 driving trailer conversion is completed on the body conversion, waiting painting, but will check the colour match as Chris Leigh (Model Rail) has advised that one of the green versions is the correct early BR lighter green applied to some dmus. The photos showing are still the pre production ones and are probably incorrect body styles for some versions. Hattons should have their photos of the delivered models in a day or two.

Edited by rembrow

All five standard release Class 122s now showing as 'in stock' at Hattons and I've had an e-mail to advise my pre-order has been processed. My 122 driving trailer conversion is completed on the body conversion, waiting painting, but will check the colour match as Chris Leigh (Model Rail) has advised that one of the green versions is the correct early BR lighter green applied to some dmus. The photos showing are still the pre production ones and are probably incorrect body styles for some versions. Hattons should have their photos of the delivered models in a day or two.

Yes, check your match with the actual model. I was presented with three different colour swatch books which represented all the paint shades available to the manufacturer. We chose the one which was the closest match to my Lima 122 conversion which is painted with Railmatch early DMU green. However it was painted about 30 years ago and there's no guarantee that - 1) The paint we chose is a perfect match to the swatch. 2) That today's Railmatch early DMU green is the same as it was 30 years ago. 3) That your eyesight and mine see things the same. The original DMU green both weathered and faded very quickly, and virtually no two cars were the same colour for very long - which is a perfect excuse for slight mis-matches! (CJL)

• RMweb Gold

I'd agree with dibber on matching colours; close enough for jazz is fine, and a small difference is not a bad thing.  Lightly weather the lighter shaded vehicle, whichever one it is.  Dmus generally matched within sets, but not with any presision between sets, and of course might mis-match completely during times of livery change, i.e. light to dark green for your period.