Dapol Class 121 and 122 in OO gauge

DapolDave

• RMweb Gold

By memory they sounded different, perhaps because of the exhausts being on the end? I did usually have them as single cars.

Legomanbiffo does do a single car sound chip.

Roy

Principally they are the same, but single cars tend to rasp a lot more as the silencer setup is different or non existant on a single car, where as 101s have the large silencers just below the exhaust.

From the pictures on the Hatton's website, I'm happy to say that they've got the livery colours correct for the RR, blue and blue/grey ones, including a good warning yellow (I'm not commenting on the green ones only due to lack of knowledge on my part!).  

Postman just delivered my class 121 from Hattons. First impressions are a lovely model very heavy colours look right to my eyes. Very nice detailing, there is a bag with all the pipes for the front end as well. Not able to test run it just now as the layout isn't quite ready. But loving this model. Another winner for Dapol

post-5114-0-59929900-1499505696_thumb.jpg

post-5114-0-36863700-1499505911_thumb.jpg

post-5114-0-15354200-1499505936_thumb.jpg

post-5114-0-26010800-1499505958_thumb.jpg

post-5114-0-21924300-1499505978_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Can anyone advise as to the wheels and pick up arrangement, i will need to EM mine, will it need new wheelsets or will a bit of pulling them out do the job?

I haven't taken off a keeper plate, so this is from examining the wheel/bogie system with magnifying modelling glasses. There are no sprung pickups on to the backs of the wheels, the electrical connections are flat against the inner bogie frame and connect to the axle bearings, so the pick up system seems to be via live bearings. The wheelsets have no insulation that I can see on either side of the wheelset, which supports the use of live bearings, so the wheelsets must be stub axles with a central insulated section/final gear.

Can anyone advise as to the wheels and pick up arrangement, i will need to EM mine, will it need new wheelsets or will a bit of pulling them out do the job?

Split axle, the axles look to have enough meat on to pull the wheels out, plus it rather looks like there is no need for any plastic butchery for clearance.On the negative side the wheels are a bit wider than should be and it may be a case of proceeding as I did with my Heljan DPU, making the BTB a midges dick less than 16.5mm, which worked a treat when wheel pulling.

• RMweb Gold

I'm feeling a bit concerned about the pick ups. With that arrangement, it might be, that for good and consistent running, that the same modifications that were needed with the first batch of Bachmann class 40's may be needed with these units. Time will tell as more are purchased, and any running issues arise. I hope that modifications, by adding wiper pick ups, will not be needed for reliable running.

Regards,

Rob.

Been having some fun 'tweaking' the Class 122. So far, I've repainted the floor, fitted passengers and drivers (both ends), made my own destination blinds. The supplied blinds reflect the view of the person who wrote the instructions - that the 122s were mainly on the Midland and Scottish Regions. That ignores their first five or six years on the Western, of course. The supplied sheet includes some for Tyseley cars but misses such major stamping grounds as St.Ives, Seaton, Lyme Regis, Bude, Padstow, Bodmin/Wadebridge, in the west country and notably Much Wenlock, and Bromyard in the West Midlands, as well as all the London area branches that had 122s between 1958-60. Included are Bromsgrove and several other intermediate stations that are unlikely to have seen a Class 122 on a terminating service, while Moreton-in-Marsh (which did see such a terminating service) is incorrectly spelled. I've repainted the exhausts and axlebox covers, and the roof domes. The latter are supplied white (as delivered from Gloucester RC&W) but they quickly weathered to a creamy colour and that's how I remember them. To my eye, it looks much better painted to match my memory. CJL)

post-1062-0-04139600-1499637368_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

I'm feeling a bit concerned about the pick ups. With that arrangement, it might be, that for good and consistent running, that the same modifications that were needed with the first batch of Bachmann class 40's may be needed with these units. Time will tell as more are purchased, and any running issues arise. I hope that modifications, by adding wiper pick ups, will not be needed for reliable running.

Regards,

Rob.

This is a normal method used on umpteen US diesel loco chassis. I don't know of any that have needed wiper pick-ups added to make them run reliably. Certainly, I've been running this style of chassis for at least 30 years without problems. (CJL)

• RMweb Gold

Been having some fun 'tweaking' the Class 122. So far, I've repainted the floor, fitted passengers and drivers (both ends), made my own destination blinds. The supplied blinds reflect the view of the person who wrote the instructions - that the 122s were mainly on the Midland and Scottish Regions. That ignores their first five or six years on the Western, of course. The supplied sheet includes some for Tyseley cars but misses such major stamping grounds as St.Ives, Seaton, Lyme Regis, Bude, Padstow, Bodmin/Wadebridge, in the west country and notably Much Wenlock, and Bromyard in the West Midlands, as well as all the London area branches that had 122s between 1958-60. Included are Bromsgrove and several other intermediate stations that are unlikely to have seen a Class 122 on a terminating service, while Moreton-in-Marsh (which did see such a terminating service) is incorrectly spelled. I've repainted the exhausts and axlebox covers, and the roof domes. The latter are supplied white (as delivered from Gloucester RC&W) but they quickly weathered to a creamy colour and that's how I remember them. To my eye, it looks much better painted to match my memory. CJL)

To be fair, Dapol did ask for help with the destinations on their digest, as referenced earlier in this thread. If comments weren't raised about the operating sphere then, that was a missed opportunity.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

• RMweb Premium

Very nice Chris. I'm hoping that mine will arrive from Cornwall very soon. In the meantime a couple of questions if I may:

- are the destination blinds stuck on to the outside of the indicators or inside a transparent pane (as they are on the Heljan railbuses?

- in the photos on Hatton's website the typeface for the bodyside car numbers doesn't quite look right. Is this just an optical illusion?

Thanks.

I'm not entirely sure that many of the West Country destinations ever made it on to destination blinds.  Those places formerly on the Southern almost certainly did not and I have yet to find a photograph of a dmu displaying Churston or Brixham: believe me, I have looked.  A dmu working on the ex-Southern lines would have displayed either a white blank or a completely wrong destination.

Chris 

I'm not entirely sure that many of the West Country destinations ever made it on to destination blinds.  Those places formerly on the Southern almost certainly did not and I have yet to find a photograph of a dmu displaying Churston or Brixham: believe me, I have looked.  A dmu working on the ex-Southern lines would have displayed either a white blank or a completely wrong destination.

Chris 

So 'PENARTH' - 'CADOXTON' - 'BRIDGEND' and 'TREHERBERT' look to be non-starters ?

But as Cl.122 units (compared to their Pressed Steel cousins) were not that common in South Wales, it's nothing I wouldn't expect.

Albeit, in the only image of a Cl.122 I have seen at Tondu (Bridgend - Treherbert) , 1963 - the unit is too distant to make out the blind.

Bob Masterman captured on film, an early BFYE W55019 working the Penarth - Cadoxton service (closed 1968) and the destination blinds are blank.

Brian R

All four of those Welsh destinations were on the 116 blinds.  On the face of it there seems to be no reason why the same blinds would not have been fitted to incoming 121s and 122s.  However, some 116s had been transferred away by then and not all of them had their blinds rescued so perhaps there were not enough.  I saw one of the 116 power cars which worked with the motor luggage vans at Paddington and its blind was proudly proclaiming YSTRAD MYNACH.

Another valid thought is that the original Welsh 116 blinds were not in alphabetical order.  As I recall the first name after the white blank was BARRY and there were several names beginning with A which should have come first.

Finally (?), Modelmaster sheet 4327 contains 100 names of WR destinations but beware: they include LONDON and LONDON PADDINGTON, neither of which I remember, QUEEN STREET, which IIRC was always CARDIFF(QUEEN STREET), WITNEY and CHIPPING NORTON which may be fictional, DEPOT which I do not believe was a form used by the WR and LLANDUDNO which did appear on Tyseley blinds eventually but only after it had left the Western Region.  Never mind, I am told that making ones own transfers is quite easy.

Chris