Dapol Class 121 and 122 in OO gauge

DapolDave

• RMweb Premium

Is the headcode box correct? On the plain BR blue and B/G versions it looks as if there is a distinct curve on top (as per the Class 118 DMUs), whereas they should be straight across. And it looks like they had perpetuated the error with the Class 122s with the vehicle number at the wrong end on one side.

A Dapol Facebook page today says they've arrived.

Is the headcode box correct? On the plain BR blue and B/G versions it looks as if there is a distinct curve on top (as per the Class 118 DMUs), whereas they should be straight across. And it looks like they had perpetuated the error with the Class 122s with the vehicle number at the wrong end on one side.

A Dapol Facebook page today says they've arrived.

Looks curved to me. (CJL)

post-1062-0-68287700-1512050237_thumb.jpeg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

My unit is now finished. Sound fitted, passengers & drivers installed, renumbered 55006, destinations 'Stockport' & 'Stalybridge' added and weathered.

The sound is great but a bit quiet (two sugar cubes in luggage compartment) as the sound cannot escape, transfers from RailTec. I have managed to lose one exhaust pipe though, I suspect it caught on my jumper and pinged off never to be seen again.

Scary close up pictures.

post-19248-0-74824000-1512051979.jpg

post-19248-0-93528800-1512051992.jpg

post-19248-0-14353000-1512052006.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Colin

You've done a nice job with the renumbering etc. I hope the missing exhaust shows up soon! I must admit that I'm tempted to get a couple of custom Rail Tec sheets for the number and destination blind. It's been a long time since I used pressfix transfers and I think the Rail Tec waterslides will be neater.

All the best 

Max

• RMweb Premium

Looks curved to me. (CJL)

Interesting thanks. I always understood the Class 121 headcode boxes were the same as the Class 117s as both were made by Pressed Steel. Looking at photos of 117s, some look straight and others look curved. Now I'm confused, as that curve was I thought the main "tell" between 117s and 118s... 

Edited by brushman47544

Hatton's ltd ed 121s now all in stock.

Also been advised by Hattons e-mail that all 4 general release versions are in stock as well. Edit correction - the e-mail is a bit confusing about the general versions, they say in it that they are 'also available to order' so may not yet have been received. Sorry for any confusion.

Edited by rembrow

• RMweb Gold

Just had an email from them that they  have processed my order for the Arriva Wales unit :)

payday tomorrow, will be following suit with the arriva unit, was torn between that or the chiltern one (as i used to work for them) but as i have the wag express and ATW 153 i thought id go for that one (and i used to work for them too!)

• Like 1

Does anyone know if transfers are produced for the 2 Kettering to Corby blue and grey class 122's that ran for a while please.

They were, because I've got them on a Lima model that I repainted. Sorry, but I haven't the slightest idea where they came from - Mike Watts at Fox, maybe. (CJL)

How easy is it to install a sound chip and speaker? Funds mean I wont be buying it ready fitted at this time, but would like to fit one at a later date...

Easy, but you need to buy the right speaker from DCC Supplies. I showed how in Model Rail an issue or two ago (sorry I don't have them here to check). Youchoos and Legomanbiffo both do sound chips for them. (CJL)

Thanks to adb968008 for checking delivery dates with Dapol at the Warley show and posting the photographs.

The non-DCC green, blue and blue/grey ones are now showing on Hattons website as being in stock.

Jeremy

Thanks to adb968008 for checking delivery dates with Dapol at the Warley show and posting the photographs.

The non-DCC green, blue and blue/grey ones are now showing on Hattons website as being in stock.

Jeremy

Oh my aching wallet, 2 BR Green versions ordered several years ago and they now arrive in the same week as Hornby's BR black H Class. It's bread and dripping for Christmas(again). 

• RMweb Premium

How easy is it to install a sound chip and speaker? Funds mean I wont be buying it ready fitted at this time, but would like to fit one at a later date...

Scroll back to page 32 and you can see how I did it. It really is very easy. I got the chip and sugar cube speakers from Legobiffoman/Dc Kits. It does sound very very good. The volume is fine for my layout at home, but really needs some holes to let the sound out if exhibiting.

• RMweb Premium

They were, because I've got them on a Lima model that I repainted. Sorry, but I haven't the slightest idea where they came from - Mike Watts at Fox, maybe. (CJL)

Railtec do sheets of dmu numbers and destinations. They will do bespoke ones too. They made the ‘Stockport’ and ‘Stalybridge’ destinations for me.

• RMweb Gold

Scroll back to page 32 and you can see how I did it. It really is very easy. I got the chip and sugar cube speakers from Legobiffoman/Dc Kits. It does sound very very good. The volume is fine for my layout at home, but really needs some holes to let the sound out if exhibiting.

Thanks Colin.

Finally got hold of a blue 122 and, incorrect numbering and logo size apart, I have to say that I'm very impressed with the quality and running straight out of the box. This is a key piece of rolling stock for me so I'm going to give it plenty of attention similar to ColinK's approach above.