Dapol Class 121 and 122 in OO gauge

DapolDave

• RMweb Premium

Anyone know when Imperium Decoders are going to be sold?

Spoke to Neil of Dapol at Warley, they have been received from the suppliers but are in the process of being packaged by Dapol. It was also said that people who have received 122/121's from Dapol will have been using them with Imperium's already fitted, and, no complaints have been received so far.

Spoke to Neil of Dapol at Warley, they have been received from the suppliers but are in the process of being packaged by Dapol. It was also said that people who have received 122/121's from Dapol will have been using them with Imperium's already fitted, and, no complaints have been received so far.

Shame the Hattons exclusives didn't come with Factory DCC Fitted option!

Class 121 RAILTRACK version arrived today from Hattons

The model is carefully wrapped in silicon type plastic

post-14312-0-95574000-1512390815_thumb.jpg

post-14312-0-90104700-1512390831_thumb.jpg

No 'teardrops' at the cab ends

post-14312-0-21354500-1512390871_thumb.jpg

Excellent detailing and paintwork - a very bright model

post-14312-0-53967900-1512390922_thumb.jpg

Dapol have to be congratulated with this model and for dealing with the quality control issues from the first batch of bubble cars, let's hope they've put these problems to bed for good.

Thanks also to Hattons who I would certainly put my vote in for retailer of the year.

I would love to wait for the price to drop on these models but I don't see the Ltd editions hanging around for long!

Edited by letterspider

Finally got there. Made a new lower cover to go over the DCC chip and turned the speakers on their sides, the body just goes on.

I've also modified the box for a round speaker by removing the vertical section by the speakers and drilling some holes in the top. The reason for this was that with the first attempt the sound seemed to be fine for bass, but loosing the treble frequencies. These modifications seem (to my ear) to let more treble out, giving a better overall sound.

Finally, I've cut one of the tracks on the circuit board to enable the interior lights to be switched on and off using the aux 3 function output. I can't tell if it works yet as my test track controller only has 10 functions.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Would you mind giving the product code of DC Kits so I can order? Also are the speakers in series or parallel? Thanks

One thing I've noticed when researching Blue ScR units in the late 1970s is that the black set numbers on the cab fronts seem to come and go quite a bit. I'm not sure if they were only added when the units were strengthening an existing dmu set or if they were mainly just added to the non-guard end which would presumably have been the outer end (in the same way that the data panel is on the guards end). I've seen SC55002 with set number 152 on the non-guard end but not on the guard end though the photos were taken a few months apart.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks

Max

Would you mind giving the product code of DC Kits so I can order? Also are the speakers in series or parallel? Thanks

Speakers are in parallel to acheive 4 ohms, look on the 121 Bubble Car section and select:

Std V4 - 21 Pin + 2 X SugarQubes £108.33 (£130.00 inc VAT)

I might have missed this, but could you enlighten me as to what an Imperium Decoder is and why it is relevant to the 121s?

I'm thinking of getting the Railtrack version and now wondering if a particular decoder is required.

Thanks.

• RMweb Gold

My ATW 121 arrived today :)

Slightly wonky steps and slightly bent lamp iron on one corner. Apart from that great model, clearly needs running in but despite being stiff has good low speed running. Doesn't like short radius Hornby points. Very pleased. Destinations in bottom of centre windscreen, great underframe detail. good job Dapol & Hattons.

gallery_24698_4132_178960.jpg

Edited by ruggedpeak
  • Like 4

Ordered a green with speed wiskers 121 from Rails last night. I can always get wifes persmission for green, but if I ever want anything in Blue she doesn't like that.  In this case, she thought the model looked stunning so praise indeed.  Not sure when they are shipping, Rails dont appear to have received them yet but I cant imagine they are too far away when Hattons are already shipping their special commisions.

These really do look lovely models, hope your all enjoying them. Arriva one in the photo below looks great.

I just wondered what you get in the detail pack, if it pipes and multi jumpers? are there any front steps on each corner?

Cheers

Mark

These really do look lovely models, hope your all enjoying them. Arriva one in the photo below looks great.

I just wondered what you get in the detail pack, if it pipes and multi jumpers? are there any front steps on each corner?

Cheers

Mark

Not sure about steps but the detailing pack includes pipes, jumper cables and a speedo cable.

• RMweb Gold

Just got my Dapol 121 DMU in blue 4D-009-004, head code is clear plastic, did anyone have a sheet of head codes for it included because mine didn't, nice model still tho.

I bought the same model - no sheet of headcodes or destinations, despite the instructions saying there should be. I've emailed Dapol, but no response so far.

• RMweb Gold

Cheers

Mark

Just got my Dapol 121 DMU in blue 4D-009-004, head code is clear plastic, did anyone have a sheet of head codes for it included because mine didn't, nice model still tho.

My Hattons ATW version came with headcodes/destination sheet, which wasn't really required since they have installed them already. Pictures aren't great due to phone in low light.

gallery_24698_4132_1535197.jpg

gallery_24698_4132_201493.jpg

Edited by ruggedpeak
  • Like 1

Easy, but you need to buy the right speaker from DCC Supplies. I showed how in Model Rail an issue or two ago (sorry I don't have them here to check). Youchoos and Legomanbiffo both do sound chips for them. (CJL)

The ESUTwin Low Sugarcube Kit will fit a treat from DCKits/Legomanbiffo or at no extra cost use the 20mm X40mm speaker supplied, chop off 3mm off if the bottom, then cut a 1.5mm step at the front end and glue in position onto the re-moveable chip cover, for better, deeper sounds seal in with a bit of PVA to make the chamber behind the speaker 'Air Tight'  This works a treat.   Charlie

Same here, same model and no headcodes included.  Have sent email to Dapol too.

After much anticipation I received my green/whiskers version 121  two days ago from Rails, and very nice it looks too.Just one problem - it doesn't go! I ran it up and down my southern branch line a couple of times - say 20 feet in total, then I noticed the red overload button started to flicker, and then came on fully and it ground to a halt. After a brief wait it started again when the juice was applied - for a couple of feet or so and stopped again. I have tries it a further 2/3 times since with the same result. I have also tried a Bachmann class 43 on the same track and that ran perfectly. I have emailed Rails for their thoughts, so we shall await their response. I have always found them to be very positive in the past, so fingers crossed. I just wondered if anyone else has had a similar problem?

best to all

exmoordave