Dapol Class 121 and 122 in OO gauge

DapolDave

• RMweb Gold

Just wondered about how Dapol and Bachmann are both producing the same model and if Bachmann are still going ahead even though Dapol released theirs first. I saw online that it’s due out between August and September 2019. Begs the question whether Bachmann will really go ahead with its release. Cheers

Rory

Not an unusual situation, Rory; the manufacturers keep an eye on forums like this and wishlist topic/polls, as well as doing their own market research.  They've got a pretty good idea what will sell profitably, which is not always exactly what we want, and often make their decisions fairly close to each other in terms of time.  Of course, they have a choice as to when to announce the projected model; if you do it too early and have any delay in planning or production, the competition, which may have already been working on the same thing, will put everything else on hold to beat you to the market.  Too late and interest has waned or the competition has raised awareness of their version.  How would you feel if you had been working on a project which you did not want to announce until it was ready for production, or in production, if a competitor made an announcement of the same model, wrecking your projections at the exact point that you've laid out capital expenditure and will have to wait some time for return on it.  Free enterprise capitalism is a vicious system, but the only one we've got...

It is a thankless task for them, because we will complain about them whatever happens.  If one announces the same model later than another, we accuse it of stealing thunder, but if it announces first we accuse it of place taking.  Duplication is wasteful of resources for manufacturers, and may lead to a lowering of choice for customers if neither model can pay it's way in the market because of this sort of competition and both have to be withdrawn, or not given another production run.  Some, like Bachmann, are known for early announcement and very long lead times, and open themselves to undercutting and being beaten to the market as has happened here.  

The alternative is for them to consult each other regarding future releases, but this is very close to rigging the market and the Monopolies Commission will want to be asking questions.  Bachmann will go ahead with the bubble car in my view, because it is already partly redacted by coming 'on the back' of the 117, which shares many components, they are intending to release anyway and which has no competition at the moment and the market to itself, but the situation may have been different had the 121 been the lead model.  But this is only my opinion, and not a statement of confirmed fact!

• 3 weeks later...

The 557 will control everything as it has four functions plus two aux outputs, but it has to be the newer one in the new packaging.

I have a new (blue pcb) 36-557 in my 122 and it doesn't control the interior lighting. All the other functions are switchable but the saloon lights are permanently on.

• 3 weeks later...

The image for that shows two windows at the left hand end in the guard’s compartment. Isn’t that the first time Dapol has released a 122 with that present?

Roy

Oh yes. Not noticed that. Hmmm

Edited by 66738

• 4 weeks later...

Hurray. A blue one with the two digit headcode box.

The blue version appears to be numbered W55003, however, AFAIK, for most if not all its time in this livery 55003 was allocated to Tyseley and should therefore have the M prefix ?

The blue version appears to be numbered W55003, however, AFAIK, for most if not all its time in this livery 55003 was allocated to Tyseley and should therefore have the M prefix ?

Agreed, I have seen a photo of 55003 in blue with small yellow warning panels on the Honeybourne line past Cheltenham.  I'm pretty sure it carried the M prefix in the photo (dated 10 July 1967), given the likely dates of repainting and the regional boundary change I can't see that it would have been given a W prefix.

• 4 weeks later...

Dapol ANNOUNCE A NEW BATCH OF OO GAUGE CLASS 121 DMUs

4D-009-005 Dapol Class 121 Single Car DMU number 55027 named "Bletchley TMD" in Silverlink livery.

4D-009-006 Dapol Class 121 Single Car DMU number W55026 in BR Blue and Grey livery with Highland Rail Stag.

4D-009-007 Dapol Class 121 Single Car DMU number W55032 in BR Blue and Grey livery with Welsh Dragon.

- 4D-009-008 Dapol Class 121 Single Car DMU number 55033 in Midline livery.

4D-009-009 Dapol Class 121 Single Car DMU number 977723 in Railtrack livery.

• Like 1

- 4D-009-008 Dapol Class 121 Single Car DMU number 55033 in Midline livery.

Hmmm, Will Dapol model the different headcode box’s on each end that it had in midline livery?

Depends whether the roof tool is adaptable with different end slides or whether there are just two different roof tools. Also, the PCB for the lighting might have to be different. Such, apparently minor, changes can make tooling very expensive and complex for the sake of just one model. (CJL)