Dapol Class 121 and 122 in OO gauge

DapolDave

In answer to a specific question on Dapol Digest two days ago, Joel Bright indicated that the Class 121 production was estimated to be 3 months after the Class 122 and subject to satisfactory livery samples for the 121, the current estimate is of production in May/June 2017. This makes the likely production of the 122s Feb/March based on the 3 month period between the two. This indicates that the 122 has leaped ahead of the GWR railcar, which has had livery sample problems.

• RMweb Gold

In answer to a specific question on Dapol Digest two days ago, Joel Bright indicated that the Class 121 production was estimated to be 3 months after the Class 122 and subject to satisfactory livery samples for the 121, the current estimate is of production in May/June 2017. This makes the likely production of the 122s Feb/March based on the 3 month period between the two. This indicates that the 122 has leaped ahead of the GWR railcar, which has had livery sample problems.

Gaugemaster's email today indicates the 122s due Jan/Feb.

Roy

Gaugemaster's email today indicates the 122s due Jan/Feb.

Roy

I suspect those dates are a tad optimistic, although presumably based on Dapol info also released in their press adverts, which tend to be 1-2 months adrift. That release is showing the Class 68s as a Jan release, however they have slipped to Feb. So I would expect March is the more likely, given that production will probably follow the 68s. I notice they also show a Feb release for the Freightliner MJA twin boxes. It would be a statement of intent if they can get all these new tooling '00' gauge releases out in 2 months. We know that liveries have been approved for all 3 model types

• 1 month later...

just seen a pic of the blue ones on hattons site. They have the square high intensity headlight in the centre. Wrong unless it preserved. Hope that is put right before it is released - but I bet it isn't!

Some blue grey were fitted with headlights towards end of their service.

Paul

Edited by birdseyecircus

just seen a pic of the blue ones on hattons site.  They have the square high intensity headlight in the centre.  Wrong unless it preserved.  Hope that is put right before it is released - but I bet it isn't!

The photos on the Hattons site are likely to be from the first decorated samples that Dapol received. It was stated on the Dapol Digest when the first dec samples were shown, that they are 1st decorated samples and physical details such as headlights may not be correct per the production version. I believe the factory is likely to use whatever model samples are available for the decoration samples, without ensuring they are the correct version for a particular livery. When production starts, the factory should get instructions for which version of the tooling is produced in particular liveries.

Edited by rembrow

The photos on the Hattons site are likely to be from the first decorated samples that Dapol received. It was stated on the Dapol Digest when the first dec samples were shown, that they are 1st decorated samples and physical details such as headlights may not be correct per the production version. I believe the factory is likely to use whatever model samples are available for the decoration samples, without ensuring they are the correct version for a particular livery. When production starts, the factory should get instructions for which version of the tooling is produced in particular liveries.

With various permutations of liveries and tooling I just hope the right colours/numbers end up on the right bodies - yet another Chinese recipe for a disaster?

Please Dapol make sure they get it 'Right First Time' rather than blindly copy the pre-production samples.............. 

Edited by Martin_R

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Having had a close look at all of them on Gaugemaster's site, the photo's are of the N Gauge models. We must wait for the actual 4mm models to see what we will be getting.

Best regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Sadly they are clearly only the EP's that have already been seen, on looking at the models closely.  As I have said earlier we must wait for the finished product. Just one example is that the lining on the green units is too thick, and not in the right positions on the cab ends. I understand that this, amongst other issues is being remedied, as discussed earlier in this thread.

Best regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Aside from the lining on the green one the white lining on the b/g one is wrong where it curves at the car ends.  It should have a barely discernible curve to it, which can be reproduced in model scale, but should not have the large-radius curvature seen here.  Neither should the corners be right-angled.  Perhaps Dapol have taken too literally the issue of "no first-radius curves" ;)

I also am not convinced by any of the car-end exhausts not the exhaust pipework to the underframes but as these are EPS let's wait and see what the final samples offer.

Edited by Gwiwer

• RMweb Premium

Are the seat backs high enough?  And is red an appropriate colour for them accepting that a generic single-colour moulding has to be used for reasonable economy?

• RMweb Premium

Are the seat backs high enough?  And is red an appropriate colour for them accepting that a generic single-colour moulding has to be used for reasonable economy?

Hi Rick

From the Railcar association website

Interior

The cabs had flat top drivers desks. The cab roof and ceilings were fibreglass. Trico-Folberth screen wipers were fitted, and a hand-pump operated water spray unit. Access to the saloon/van was via a sliding door. On the end with the saloon behind the cab, folding blinds were fitted to the bulkhead windows. At the outer cab doors a tubular commode handle doubled as drain pipes for the roof gutters.

The saloon panels were Formica faced glossy bleached mahogany, with end partitions in Formica faced straight grained walnut. The non-smoking section (20 seats, in the saloon next to the van) was divided by a Formica faced blockboard partition, with full width glazing above seat level. The fawn linoleum was supplied by James Williamson & Son Ltd. Ceiling panels were an off-white eggshell semi-matt finish. Tubular anodised aluminium luggage racks were fitted above each window and on the compartment division. Ash trays were attached to the door side pillars where appropriate. Light fittings were supplied by J. Stone & Co (Deptford) Ltd.

Seats, in a 2+3 arrangement, were formed of base springs with foam rubber pads and squabs, covered in a "triangle" style patterned moquette, and fitted to Lace Web tubular seat frames. The facings were in blackberry Lionide with fawn piping. The guards van was painted fawn, and contained the usual first aid, fire fighting and emergency equipment.

No idea what colour "triangle" style patterned moquette it was.

Did Dapol state when these are likely to be in the shops? As stated in previous posts I think these are the pre production models that were on display at Warley last November. At that show I was told they were to be available in March this year, with it now being forecast for April, so I hope they are going to be on time. I have a feeling these are going to be another very popular model and Dapol will see them flying out of the shops like the Class 68.