Dapol Class 121 and 122 in OO gauge

DapolDave

Let's hope they arrive in the shops soon so we can have good look. I was told they are due 'imminently' but that was 3 weeks ago, not sure how long it takes to get by ship from China though?

Hornbys class 20 with TTS was imminent when Hornby mag reviewed it back in feb. Still not here so they must be on the ship  a while

I think the ship is 6-8 weeks but happy to be corrected.

Thanks

Mark

According to Dapol's replies on the Dapol Digest, the Class 122 models are being produced first with the 121s later. They said about 10 days ago, that the 122 models would be arriving in early July, which from the timing of that info would suggest the 122s are en route by sea. They also advised that the 121s would be about 10 weeks later, which is consistent with the Sept/Oct date now being advised by Hattons. It looks possible that the GWR Railcar will appear between the 122 and 121 models, as Dapol again advised on the digest, that those models were scheduled for manufacture from late May with delivery in July. In preparation I've started on my build of a 122 Driving Trailer Second, have bought a Lima 117 power car for the body, a 117 centre car for the underframe and a Silver Fox Class 117 DMS body conversion to adapt the body for the non brake style.

• RMweb Premium

I have not been following this thread but have just been through it from top to tail.  Nowhere can I find any indication of the thinking that led to the adoption of the mechanism chosen.  I am sure it is more than adequately powered but this is at the cost of the unsightly interior moulding.  The photographs accompanying Chris Leigh's admirably thorough review in the August Model Rail make the interior moulding look like a trough of custard with lumps of rhubarb sticking up.  If I were a prospective purchaser, which I am not, i would file this under 'missed opportunity'.

Chris 

I too am slightly put off by the intrusion of the mechanism into the saloon, which is surely unnecessary nowadays with the mechanisms available. Since my Limby Class 121 runs perfectly well, I was thinking of getting a Class 122 from Dapol, but now may well wait until the Bachmann Class 121 is available (yes I realise it might be a while) and compare before buying.

I too am slightly put off by the intrusion of the mechanism into the saloon, which is surely unnecessary nowadays with the mechanisms available. Since my Limby Class 121 runs perfectly well, I was thinking of getting a Class 122 from Dapol, but now may well wait until the Bachmann Class 121 is available (yes I realise it might be a while) and compare before buying.

While I understand where you are coming from, the likelihood is Bachmann will use the 105/108 mechanism which will fill the guards van and some of the passenger saloon with the motor enclosure which would be more obvious than Dapol's approach. I would normally go for the Bachmann version but early availability and Bachmann not planning an all over Blue version in the first release has meant I have gone for the Dapol route.

While I understand where you are coming from, the likelihood is Bachmann will use the 105/108 mechanism which will fill the guards van and some of the passenger saloon with the motor enclosure which would be more obvious than Dapol's approach. I would normally go for the Bachmann version but early availability and Bachmann not planning an all over Blue version in the first release has meant I have gone for the Dapol route.

One thing that does surprise me, is that despite using the low floor mechanism, and based on review photos in Hornby mag and Model Rail, there is a box in the guard's/parcels area, showing in the window before the driver's compartment, which is not to prototype. From the cutaway photos in the reviews, this seems to be a speaker enclosure for dcc sound and the reviews show a speaker bracket fitted within. On my model, I intend, if possible to remove the speaker fitting and cut away the box from the underframe. Looking at the photos of the 3 samples taken at the GCR show at post 401, I don't think the raised floor will make any real impression on the interior view that we will have at normal viewing distance

• RMweb Gold

One thing that does surprise me, is that despite using the low floor mechanism, and based on review photos in Hornby mag and Model Rail, there is a box in the guard's/parcels area, showing in the window before the driver's compartment, which is not to prototype. From the cutaway photos in the reviews, this seems to be a speaker enclosure for dcc sound and the reviews show a speaker bracket fitted within. On my model, I intend, if possible to remove the speaker fitting and cut away the box from the underframe. Looking at the photos of the 3 samples taken at the GCR show at post 401, I don't think the raised floor will make any real impression on the interior view that we will have at normal viewing distance

Fully agree about the view. It seems Dapol have a good compromise which gives us a model that will run well, be able to haul prototypical stock and not have the much bemoaned coreless motor.

Roy

The box across the window is the speaker enclosure. You could probably remove it, or simply paint it matt black so that it doesn't show up. The chassis design is really quite a masterpiece. It is beautifully engineered, really sturdy, with a substantial motor, quiet and with every provision you might expect regarding switching of lights, easy DCC fitting, easy sound fitting, ease of access to the interior and cabs. The only compromise is the floor height of the interior and I'm confident that given five minutes with a brush and some paint - and a few passengers - I could make this look much less obtrusive. I'm pretty certain the floors had terracotta coloured lino, so it needs painting anyway. Read my review in the current Model Rail. (CJL)

Edited by dibber25
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Have to say that the high floor on my Baccy Hawkworth auto trailer doesn't bother me after some paint and the provision of some passengers.  They've had their feet cut off, but don't seem to mind much, or if they do they haven't said.  They're lucky; the crew on my ancient Airfix large prairie have been cut off in their prime below the wast, so that they peer out at the correct height from their perch on the rear of the chassis block...

They were tough in the old days!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Unfortunately, having read and seen the photos in the Model Rail,review, it's clear that Dapol have not addressed the over thick lining out on the green liveried 122's, and on the Scottish car, the number, on the drivers side of the car, is at the drivers end instead of the guards van end. I remain disappointed about these issues. I'm dithering about getting a plain blue example, in the hope that there no livery issues.

All other things are looking and sounding good, including, for the first ever time, a speedometer cable on the bogie at the passenger saloon end of the car.

Best regards,

Rob.

I think the ship is 6-8 weeks but happy to be corrected.

Thanks

Mark

Shipping from China is in the region of 4-5 weeks depending on port of loading, port of arrival in the UK and port visits on route.

This assumes also that the manufacturer is shipping full containers, if it's part part loads add at least another week.

These times are from loading on the boat not leaving the factory until arrivals at the UK manufacturer/importers premises

• RMweb Gold

Shipping from China is in the region of 4-5 weeks depending on port of loading, port of arrival in the UK and port visits on route.

This assumes also that the manufacturer is shipping full containers, if it's part part loads add at least another week.

These times are from loading on the boat not leaving the factory until arrivals at the UK manufacturer/importers premises

Or coming by rail.

• RMweb Premium

Or coming by rail.

I would expect the container by rail would be more expensive than by ship. It would certainly be interesting to know how much the two methods do cost.

I would expect the container by rail would be more expensive than by ship. It would certainly be interesting to know how much the two methods do cost.

Can't tell you what Dapol are paying or what thyou rail cost is but can tell you this years cost I have paid year

40"std cube £1890

40" High cube £1970

Price is based on FOB (free on board) ship in China landing here in UK At Southampton or Felixstowe and With transport to warehouse in west London or Southampton but excludes Import duty tax vat.

20" containers are about £150 less

Can't tell you what Dapol are paying or what thyou rail cost is but can tell you this years cost I have paid year

40"std cube £1890

40" High cube £1970

Price is based on FOB (free on board) ship in China landing here in UK At Southampton or Felixstowe and With transport to warehouse in west London or Southampton but excludes Import duty tax vat.

20" containers are about £150 less

So for the quantities of models in a single container, you're talking pennies on the price...

I am reliably informed it is about double the cost of a ship but still cheaper than air. 

So for the quantities of models in a single container, you're talking pennies on the price...

Yep when you divide the cost over the contents it is pennies.Shipping in from China is quite easy in itself so long as your gears up logistically for the deliveries and a bonafide company, but the shipping and unloading is the easy part.....and the cheap bit in comparison

Assuming it's a rerun of an item so no tooling no changes etc.... fdepnding on the quantities you order from placing a firm order and transfering a sizeable deposit you will never get your product physically in your warehouse in under 75 days and more likely in something like 90-150 days depending on what it is.

So the likes of Bachmann, Dapol, Hormby, oxford etc. Have a huge task before this stage as most time they are not doing reruns it's new products or liveries so there is drawings, price negotiations, packaging details, hand crafted samples, modifications, final model agreements then pre production samples and livery samples before REAL production starts and then shipping.

Oh and dont forget China comes to a standstill for a month for new year celebrations as well

I am reliably informed it is about double the cost of a ship but still cheaper than air.

I too have been told it's in the region of 2 to 3 times th cost

Forget air, unless it perishable or very high value airfrieght is not cost effective

Might be swayed and buy one. Not a great fan of single railcar on the basis they are not proper trains, but I'm thinking I could combine this either with my Lima 117 and make a 4 car train or even substitute the Lima power car with this model. That way at least one end looks like a 116, which looks as if it's a long way off if ever

The substitution of a 117 power car with a bubble was a fairly frequent move to put a 3 car set back into service when a power car needed attention that couldn't be carried out overnight.

• RMweb Premium

Might be swayed and buy one. Not a great fan of single railcar on the basis they are not proper trains, but I'm thinking I could combine this either with my Lima 117 and make a 4 car train or even substitute the Lima power car with this model. That way at least one end looks like a 116, which looks as if it's a long way off if ever

First Rule of Operating Own Railway : Anything is a proper train, you are the Operating Officer.

Real railway operation:

Wensleydale Railway operate a combination of a Class 121 and a Class 117, see page 18 of Wensleydale Railway's magazine, Relay, Number 76 (Summer 2017).

Incidentally, Black Labradors have stamped their approval on this form of transport...great views out on to the Dale!

• Like 1

The substitution of a 117 power car with a bubble was a fairly frequent move to put a 3 car set back into service when a power car needed attention that couldn't be carried out overnight.

DPUs were used in the same way. There used to be a shot on the LEYTR site of a Royal Mail liveried 128 covering for a missing power car on a Tyseley based unit at Skegness.

Could you be tempted down the route of making a 122 Driving Trailer, that were built to be used with the powered 122s to make them into 2 car units for heavier traffic. As I posted earlier, I'm having a go using a Lima 117 power car, a Lima 117 centre car (for the underframe) and a Silver Fox 117 DMS conversion, for the rear passenger sides. Progress so far below. May be ready for when the 122 arrives. Today I made the smaller indicator blind, may need to be filed a bit lower. 

post-13514-0-29552800-1499009698.jpg

post-13514-0-71426500-1499009713.jpg

post-13514-0-92778200-1499009741.jpg

• Like 5