Dapol Class 121 and 122 in OO gauge

DapolDave

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the help guys. Much appreciated.

I've got the cabs/lightbar out now; I've marked which end is the guards van so I can reassemble it the right way round.

I've painted the interior and added passengers, I think its a big improvement. I took a more brutal approach than Chris for the drivers, I removed the very nice seats with pliers and glued the drivers in the space.

The glazing is very loose (making it easier to repaint) so I'm thinking of using a little glue n'glaze to secure it.

Next job is to work out how to fit two sugarcube speakers.  They are small enough to fit inside the battery boxes, but that's too difficult for me.  I'll probably opt to put them in the guards compartment.  As there are speaker contacts in the sound chamber (according to the instructions), do I cut the speaker wires off the decoder and wire the speakers to those contacts? 

post-19248-0-81744800-1503662068_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Got my chores done and made more progress on the 121, but that has raised more questions.

I've removed the screws that hold the seating unit onto the chassis (there should be four screws but one was missing). This reveals the motor and enclosure for the round speaker - although I'm using two sugar cubes.

post-19248-0-42430800-1503674467_thumb.jpg

I've not fitted one of these decoders before; please can anyone advise if I remove the raised circuit board shown below (it also has the lighting switches on it) then plug the sound decoder into the socket which I assume is underneath it.

post-19248-0-00922000-1503674493_thumb.jpg

According to the Dapol instructions, the speakers should be soldered onto two tiny terminals, you can just see one of them, marked LS on the photo above.  But as there are speaker wires attached to the decoder, can I attach the speakers to these wires (probably an easier job).

Thanks.

• RMweb Gold

Remove the Dapol board, the one with the lighting switches on it. They are only needed for dc lighting. This will reveal the 21 pins over which you locate the decoder. If you haven't removed a 21 pin dc board before, be careful not to bend the pins! It makes fitting the decoder more difficult. I dont recall the Dapol board being difficult.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks Tony for that clear explaination.

I've managed to fit the decoder (complete with the pre fitted round speaker attached) and it works - sound and motion. Succes.

As Charlie at DCC Kits had said, the sound quality was poor, but lots of volume.

I've managed to replace the round speaker with two sugar cubes as recommended - challenging job, especially as my wire strippers don't work on such fine cables. However, I managed it, sound volume seems a little lower (no problem), but the sound quality is far better. Only problem now is that the speakers are too big to fit in the guards compartment. If I put them on top of the DCC cover they are too tall for the body to go on. While they are too wide to go either side of the DCC cover. If I can make a lower DCC cover out of plasticard, they might just fit.

I'm working all weekend so probably no further progress until Tuesday.

post-19248-0-41515900-1503696038_thumb.jpg

Colin,

Funnily enough, I've just stripped my Class 122 (GRCW single car railcar to me) for a repaint - I decided that the livery and lining were just a tad to 'in your face' for me.

I removed the exhaust pipes and other external body detail with fine pointed treezers - though I left the handrails in-situ as they'll need respraying.

The body comes off very easily - it's a snap-fit over lugs on the chassis.

The light bar is released by removing two cross-head screws.

The cab interiors are fixed to the light-bar and locate into slots in the body - spring the body sides apart and the cab interiors and light-bar will pull out.

The windows can be sprung away from the bodysides with a sharp knife - the glue is not particularly strong.

The headcodes just push out from the inside of the body; as do the destination glazing / light bars.

I could not release the marker light glazing, so this will be masked.

The roof is a separate moulding that snap-fits to the rest of the body via lugs - it can be released from the body sides / ends moulding with a sharp knife blade inserted at the interface.

I have fitted the detail to the chassis - at least, as much of it as is compatible with auto-couplings.

The 'floor' area between the seats, and the 'boxes' over the electronics, have been painted matt grey to make them less conspicuous. The wheels have also had a coat of black paint on their faces.

I am removing the undersized shell vents from the roof by drilling 0.8mm. through their square locating lugs from the inside of the roof, in order to fit slightly larger castings.

I will then mask the white roof end domes, and spray the rest a darker grey.

The body will be sprayed Phoenix early DMU green, and then lined / lettered with my own transfers.

All in all, the Dapol Class 122 is a very nice model; well designed and assembled. It is also very amenable to disassembly for those of us who can't leave well alone !!

Photos in due course.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

A couple more observations concerning stripping and repainting the Class 122.

The roof, I have discovered, slides off. If you disengage the ends by prising them up slightly, a little force will result in the roof sliding 3-4 mm., which disengages the fixing lugs and the roof lifts off. Have a look under the roof to determine in which direction it will slide.

Having tried a few solvents, Microscale Microsol will easily remove the numbering / lettering; the best way of removing the green paint seems to be to soak the body in methelated spirits. This reveals that the guards handrails are wire, whereas the cab handails are black flat section mouldings, plugged into the bodysides.

I have now fitted slightly larger cast shell vents, and repainted the roof in a darker grey - but I masked off the white roof domes first.

A matt dark grey has also been applied to the motor / electronics boxes and the interior floor, to disguise the former and the fact that the latter is raised.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk

• RMweb Premium

Managed 30 mins on this tonight. Made a lower DCC cover from plasticard and mounted the speakers on top, with a bit of square rod between, partially because I thought it might help the speakers, partially to keep a space above the centreline for the lightbar.

post-19248-0-35302800-1503785841_thumb.jpg

It seemed to work, indeed sound was fine. On closer inspection the body was not quite on properly at the guards end, so the speakers were fouling the light bar.

Think I might be able to reduce the height of the DCC chip cover slightly, one to try tomorrow.

The alternative would be to put the speakers on their sides, but this would mean lengthening the wires between them, a challenging task.

• RMweb Premium

Finally got there. Made a new lower cover to go over the DCC chip and turned the speakers on their sides, the body just goes on.

I've also modified the box for a round speaker by removing the vertical section by the speakers and drilling some holes in the top. The reason for this was that with the first attempt the sound seemed to be fine for bass, but loosing the treble frequencies. These modifications seem (to my ear) to let more treble out, giving a better overall sound.

Finally, I've cut one of the tracks on the circuit board to enable the interior lights to be switched on and off using the aux 3 function output. I can't tell if it works yet as my test track controller only has 10 functions.

post-19248-0-32351000-1504015770_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

A couple more observations concerning stripping and repainting the Class 122.

The roof, I have discovered, slides off. If you disengage the ends by prising them up slightly, a little force will result in the roof sliding 3-4 mm., which disengages the fixing lugs and the roof lifts off. Have a look under the roof to determine in which direction it will slide.

Having tried a few solvents, Microscale Microsol will easily remove the numbering / lettering; the best way of removing the green paint seems to be to soak the body in methelated spirits. This reveals that the guards handrails are wire, whereas the cab handails are black flat section mouldings, plugged into the bodysides.

I have now fitted slightly larger cast shell vents, and repainted the roof in a darker grey - but I masked off the white roof domes first.

A matt dark grey has also been applied to the motor / electronics boxes and the interior floor, to disguise the former and the fact that the latter is raised.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

A little further progress - stripping the Dapol paint has been achieved using methylated spirits; an old toothbrush helped remove the last reluctant bits.

The first coat of Phoenix post-1954 darker green was applied; the prototype being introduced in 1958.

Then, I was browsing the Railcar.co.uk site - where I immediately came across  http://www.railcar.co.uk/type/class-122/liveries !!

Fortunately, the dark green paint was still tacky, so a quick wash in white sirit took me back to square one !

The body has now had two coats of Phoenix pre-1954 light green.

Moral - don't trust paint manufacturers shade descriptions.

There will now be a modest pause for holidays, and I will report back when further progress has been made.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Now that the sound is installed, its time to renumber then weather.

The numbers came off easily and with no paint damage; first scraped with the end of a cocktail stick then removed the remainder with T cut.

I've asked Railtec if they can provide bespoke numbers 55005 and 55006 and destination blinds for Stockport and Stalybridge. If anyone else requires these numbers and destinations send me a PM and I'll see if they can get more on one sheet.

A little further progress - stripping the Dapol paint has been achieved using methylated spirits; an old toothbrush helped remove the last reluctant bits.

The first coat of Phoenix post-1954 darker green was applied; the prototype being introduced in 1958.

Then, I was browsing the Railcar.co.uk site - where I immediately came across  http://www.railcar.co.uk/type/class-122/liveries !!

Fortunately, the dark green paint was still tacky, so a quick wash in white sirit took me back to square one !

There will now be a modest pause for holidays, and I will report back when further progress has been made.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Trying to apply dates to the shades of DMU green doesn't work. Original Derby lightweights were delivered in very dark green in 1954/5. Gloucester vehicles were delivered in the very light shade in 1958. You can't even apply manufacturer's names to the shades because, from my memory the WR had Derby-built 116 units that were running around in several different shades. Indeed, it seemed like no two units were exactly the same colour. The green that Dapol used on W55000 was as close as we could get from the available paint. I would have preferred it to be a bit lighter but the lighter shade was too blue. When I used Railmatch early DMU green I usually added a dash of white to give it the slightly faded look. (CJL)

Giving  my  age  away  here  but  I remember  the  introduction  of  the  Derby  Lightweights in the  Manchester  Area in  the  50s  ( Must  stress  I was  extremely  young!!) I do recall they  were quite  a  darkish  green,  but  one day we  were in  Manchester  London Road  ( Piccadilly)  when a  3 car DMU arrived,  A friendly  Guard  told   us  that  it  had  come  from  Grimsby and it  was  brand  new and  on  a  trip to  test  it  out  and  it  cost  about  £40,000  ! 

The  thing I remember  vividly  though  was  the  colour which  was  what  appeared to be  a very light  shade of  green ( with  speed  whiskers)

Today I would  probably  have  described it  as LNER Apple Green,  I don't  have  a  clue  what  the  actual type  was,  in  those  days  they  were all just 'diesels'

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

FWIW my memory of the class 116 introduced in 1958 for the South Wales Valleys regular interval services from Cardiff General is of them being a very light unlined green, not far off LNER apple but less vivid.  I was 6 at the time, and my memory also states that they had speed whiskers, but I have since seem photos of them without and what looks like a darker green, so while I reckon my memory is pretty good, I am not claiming it to be perfect.  Now, what was I saying, oh, yes, and they had white roof ends.

From the early 60s, they, like all dmus, began to appear in the very dark green with cream/yellow lining at waist and cantrail, but this lining had appeared on some main line 'Cross Country' sets in the lighter green by then.  My first encounters with the bubble cars, both types, was in the mid 60s by which time the lined dark green was prevalent and soon to be replaced with Rail Blue.

FWIW my memory of the class 116 introduced in 1958 for the South Wales Valleys regular interval services from Cardiff General is of them being a very light unlined green, not far off LNER apple but less vivid.  I was 6 at the time, and my memory also states that they had speed whiskers, but I have since seem photos of them without and what looks like a darker green, so while I reckon my memory is pretty good, I am not claiming it to be perfect.  Now, what was I saying, oh, yes, and they had white roof ends.

From the early 60s, they, like all dmus, began to appear in the very dark green with cream/yellow lining at waist and cantrail, but this lining had appeared on some main line 'Cross Country' sets in the lighter green by then.  My first encounters with the bubble cars, both types, was in the mid 60s by which time the lined dark green was prevalent and soon to be replaced with Rail Blue.

Sounds like your memories are pretty similar to mine. I wish I had taken more photos but I used to avoid taking pictures if the units didn't look clean, smart and all the same colour! (CJL)

• RMweb Gold

Sounds like your memories are pretty similar to mine. I wish I had taken more photos but I used to avoid taking pictures if the units didn't look clean, smart and all the same colour! (CJL)

Thank you, Chris.  I find it very heartening when a person I regard as one of the top authorities on matters dmu, along with the other Chris, F, endorses my feeble brain's attempts at recalling what it thinks it remembers...

I wouldn't have wasted film on 'multis' in those days, but wish I'd taken more notes on liveries; pre-corporate Identity dmus are a minefield!  And people who I should have listened to did tell me to take more notes!  At least I have learned one or two wee factettes from this thread, which is good going for a bloke who has no intention of buying a Dapol bubble for some time; glad I followed it and hope the input wasn't too distracting!

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1

Thank you, Chris.  I find it very heartening when a person I regard as one of the top authorities on matters dmu, along with the other Chris, F, endorses my feeble brain's attempts at recalling what it thinks it remembers...

I wouldn't have wasted film on 'multis' in those days, but wish I'd taken more notes on liveries; pre-corporate Identity dmus are a minefield!  And people who I should have listened to did tell me to take more notes!  At least I have learned one or two wee factettes from this thread, which is good going for a bloke who has no intention of buying a Dapol bubble for some time; glad I followed it and hope the input wasn't too distracting!

I've always liked anything on rails, so DMUs rank right alongside steam for me. The difference was that you got DMUs everywhere, but you had to go looking to ride behind steam. I still think coming out of Paddington in a 117, fast line to Ealing Broadway (first stop) and seeing the needle hard up against the 70mph most of the way, was pretty much unbeatable for an ordinary timetabled train ride. Front of a 117 through Sonning Cutting with the GWR ATC sounding off every few moments was fun, too. Can't wait for Bachmann's 117. (CJL)

Edited by dibber25
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Callow youth that I was, only really interested in steam engines.  

But you will like the following tales, from my period as a guard at Canton in the 70s.  Sent with a driver to Swindon on the cushions one night, we were to pick up a 116 DMS, no brake compartment, from the works and bring it ex-works back to Canton.  Little down traffic about and my driver wanted to see what it would do in good nick and without the weight of half a trailer slowing it down; we were up to 70mph, the limit, for the Badminton Road at Wootton Bassett, and the needle was hard on the stop all the way from there to Parkway.  The thing rode like a pullman, and seemed to get better the faster we went, but it was very noisy and very draughty.  Good fun though!  I would think we were in the mid 80s but the driver claimed 90, on no objective evidence that I could see.

On another occasion, a New Year's Eve when I was in the bottom Valleys Passenger Link, and did a lot of this sort of work, I was on the 'Last Aber' with a very good driver that I got on enormously well with, Arthur Lewis.  Arthur liked a pint, and one could do that sort of thing then if one didn't abuse the privilege.  The last Aber was the 22.25 last up the Rhymney Valley as far as Caerphilly, thence to Aber Juction to cross over and work ECS back to Canton, where I think we were booked at 00.05 and then 00.15 off duty after handing our journals and the ticket machine and cash in.  We'd already used the hour or so layover in Penarth to grab a beer or two in the British Legion in Penarth, which was (still is I think) on the station forecourt, and Arthur was  keen to get back to Canton in time for last orders in the Craddock, Canton Shed's local just over the famous footbridge and a block towards town, a bit spit and sawdust when they cleaned their act up and put down some sawdust but they kept a good pint of Brains.

We were due aways from Aber ecs at, IIRC, 22.48, and, while Arthur did his best on the way up, we had to stop and pick up the usual suspects at Heath and Llanishen (no Lisvane/Thornhill in those days).  He hammered the 116 up through the tunnel, and I had the window open in the van just to enjoy the noise!  I was up the train like a dose of salts at Caerphilly closing doors, than back through to the rear cab to nab the lamp and change ends with it at Aber.  We did this by changing the lamp and the driver changing ends and reversing out of Aber Up platform with me in what would be the rear cab for the return run keeping a good look out.  Over the dummy, I could hear the force with which the road was set, and we were away, at 22.45 spot on.  The lights in the signalbox had gone out before it was out of sight; happy new year, officer!  I have never seen such quick gear changes on a dmu.  I got through to the front cab fairly quickly, but we were already through Caerphilly, which was also by now in darkness and everyone over the pub.

He kept the throttle open wide all the way down, even when the unit would not go any faster and the needle had been on the stop since about the Caerphilly end of the tunnel.  We shot out of the Cefn Onn end like a rifle bullet, and she was still picking up speed; I reckon we were more or less at terminal velocity at Heath and I reckon (subjectively) it was over 90mph, the line speed in those days. Arthur had a big grin all over his face, really enjoying himself, as was I.  He shut off at Monthermer Road bridge and applied the brake 'Full Service' a few seconds later at Crwys Road Bridge.  The train seemed to be coming up on very quickly on Queen Street, lights out and abandoned, we were the only thing left on the railway by this time, 40mph across the junction, 30 IIRC through the platforms, and 15 (or was it 10) over the main line bridge, but Arthur kept on grinning as if there was nothing to worry about; we were down to those speeds smack on the mark.

An advantage of the twin pipe vacuum brake on a dmu is that it can be blown off very quickly, and Arthur now did something I'd never seen done before and have not since, and I don't actually recommend it; with the rear coach off the main line bridge he put her into 3rd and opened the throttle wide again.  This had us up to the 35mph limit through platform 7 at Cardiff Central, then shut of and another Full Service before running on to the carriage shed.  'Start winding the handbrake on', says Arthur, 'I'll get a couple in for us'; the train was now running at just below 15mph and we'd ignored the 5mph through the carriage washer, and he put her into engine only and squeezed past me as we ran into the darkened and deserted carriage shed; he baled on the foot crossing at it's entrance and hurtled at some speed for a man of his bulk towards the footbridge and the Craddock.  Spinning the brake wheel like a lunatic, I brought the train to a stand and looked at my watch; 23.56 just turned, 11 minutes from Aber Junction to a dead stand at Canton Carriage Sidings, and a few feet further up them than we should have been.  I left the ticket machine and the cash on the counter at the window in the lobby; they'd all bu**ered off!  2 pints of Brains dark were on the bar waiting for me when I walked casually and with the best nonchalance I could muster into the Craddock (having run across the shed and over the bridge like a demented schoolboy) at One Minute To Midnight, December 31st, 1976, and I claim this as an unofficial, and not strictly legal, world speed record for the journey from Aber Junction to Canton!  My last sight of the 116 was a look over my shoulder at the rear cab as I left the shed; she sat there looking as if butter wouldn't melt, ticking over happily to herself, perhaps just a little smug!  I may have given her a wink...

Bad girl.

Arthur's train handling was superlative, consummate, the work of a master craftsman, it always was; there were no snatches or jerks, everything was smooth, but be 'eck it was quick. If we'd come downhill any faster I'd have had to suck on a boiled sweet...

Our journals were handed in in 1977.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 15

I've always liked anything on rails, so DMUs rank right alongside steam for me. The difference was that you got DMUs everywhere, but you had to go looking to ride behind steam. I still think coming out of Paddington in a 117, fast line to Ealing Broadway (first stop) and seeing the needle hard up against the 70mph most of the way, was pretty much unbeatable for an ordinary timetabled train ride. Front of a 117 through Sonning Cutting with the GWR ATC sounding off every few moments was fun, too. Can't wait for Bachmann's 117. (CJL)

I remember these hurtling through Southall on the down main during my trainspotting days, and although I found it a pleasant change, you couldn't beat a Castle racing under the footbridge and getting covered in smuts!!!!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'd prefer, from the bottom of my South Walian heart, for Bachmann's 117 to be a 116.   And somebody should put green period WR modellers out of their misery with a 119, or 120, or even a 123.  Oops, wishlist alert; actually, I don't need any of these models, just think they'd sell well, on the basis that anyone who's bought an rtr Warship, Western, or Hymek will want one of these...

I'd prefer, from the bottom of my South Walian heart, for Bachmann's 117 to be a 116.   And somebody should put green period WR modellers out of their misery with a 119, or 120, or even a 123.  Oops, wishlist alert; actually, I don't need any of these models, just think they'd sell well, on the basis that anyone who's bought an rtr Warship, Western, or Hymek will want one of these...

Absolutely! Can't understand why the two Cross-Country classes have been so ignored in model form. A shame there's no 120 in preservation but I suspect they were an asbestos nightmare. Still, if I live long enough there's the prospect of Heljan's in 'O' gauge. Yes, they are necessary to sit alongside the hydraulics, just like an AC Cars railbus and a 'Western' are the perfect combo. (CJL)

• Like 3

Absolutely! Can't understand why the two Cross-Country classes have been so ignored in model form. A shame there's no 120 in preservation but I suspect they were an asbestos nightmare. Still, if I live long enough there's the prospect of Heljan's in 'O' gauge. Yes, they are necessary to sit alongside the hydraulics, just like an AC Cars railbus and a 'Western' are the perfect combo. (CJL)

Do AC Railbuses have Red Tail Lights!!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Sorry John, I disagree with your second choice of colour, it should be the Brunswick loco green or the intermediate leaf green shade, which when brand new and freshly applied can look quite bright and cheerful in sunshine. However, they will darken with age, but will not get as dark as the final olive shades. I'm puzzled by Precision's quote of pre- and post-1954 Greens(?), the earlier colour was applied only to EMUs from at least 1951, until the advent of the 1956 Inter-City DMUs, followed by the 1957 Derby Suburban DMUs and some others.

The 1954 Derby Lightweights were painted in the darker "Brunswick loco green", which carried on into the 1956 Derby Heavyweights as built. Derby Suburban units appear to have carried various shades of green, starting with the light EMU green in 1957, followed by a slightly darker version akin to "leaf green", which in turn was followed by a reversion to Brunswick loco green. Then BR decided to replace all of these various shades with a new standard olive green, which gave off a yellowy oily look when new, ER Lea Valley DMUs were repainted in an even darker shade. Then you can add on to all of these green liveries, the weathered versions of each, making a very complicated and confusing subject.

I would suggest that an as-built GRCW Class 122 should be painted in either "Leaf Green" or "Brunswick Green", the later Pressed Steel Class 121s would appear in the darker "New Standard Olive Green", which will be the difference in shade that Chris Leigh witnessed in the early 1960s. Some Class 122 would be repainted in the new olive shade. I have modelled Class 116s in five shades of green now, you could say i'm hedging my bets!

Cheers, Brian.

Sorry John, I disagree with your second choice of colour, it should be the Brunswick loco green or the intermediate leaf green shade, which when brand new and freshly applied can look quite bright and cheerful in sunshine. However, they will darken with age, but will not get as dark as the final olive shades. I'm puzzled by Precision's quote of pre- and post-1954 Greens(?), the earlier colour was applied only to EMUs from at least 1951, until the advent of the 1956 Inter-City DMUs, followed by the 1957 Derby Suburban DMUs and some others.

The 1954 Derby Lightweights were painted in the darker "Brunswick loco green", which carried on into the 1956 Derby Heavyweights as built. Derby Suburban units appear to have carried various shades of green, starting with the light EMU green in 1957, followed by a slightly darker version akin to "leaf green", which in turn was followed by a reversion to Brunswick loco green. Then BR decided to replace all of these various shades with a new standard olive green, which gave off a yellowy oily look when new, ER Lea Valley DMUs were repainted in an even darker shade. Then you can add on to all of these green liveries, the weathered versions of each, making a very complicated and confusing subject.

I would suggest that an as-built GRCW Class 122 should be painted in either "Leaf Green" or "Brunswick Green", the later Pressed Steel Class 121s would appear in the darker "New Standard Olive Green", which will be the difference in shade that Chris Leigh witnessed in the early 1960s. Some Class 122 would be repainted in the new olive shade. I have modelled Class 116s in five shades of green now, you could say i'm hedging my bets!

Cheers, Brian.

Brian,

I must confess that I am still a little unconvinced by Precision's 'Pre-1954 DMU Green' - though it is lighter than the post-1954 shade.

I tend to agree that the Leaf Green is the shade that I recall on the GRCW single car units - but is that colour available commercially - preferably as an enamel?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Brian,

I must confess that I am still a little unconvinced by Precision's 'Pre-1954 DMU Green' - though it is lighter than the post-1954 shade.

I tend to agree that the Leaf Green is the shade that I recall on the GRCW single car units - but is that colour available commercially - preferably as an enamel?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

"Leaf Green" is my unofficial approximation of one shade (2), although it is an officially recognized colour. When I was researching and building Class 126 Inter-City units, some early 70xxx units seemed to be in (1)"EMU" green and others in a slightly deeper shade (my (2) Leaf Green theory). Class 126 cars in the 50xxx series seem to have appeared in either both the (2) Leaf Green or darker still (3) Brunswick Green, the last built (including the two 59xxx buffet cars?) were probably in (4) BR Olive Green, as were any subsequent repaints in the 60s. The various batches of Class 120 Cross-Country sets seem to have gone through all these various changes of shade, as did the Class 116 suburban sets. Which DMU does one paint in Precision's "Pre-1954 green", it must surely only apply to EMUs originally, until 1956???                 BK