Dapol Class 121 and 122 in OO gauge

DapolDave

If removing the body shell to fit sound or switch off various lights , be careful not to apply pressure to the window units , they tend to cave in as the glue they have used has been applied very sparingly !

The front window units are the worst offenders as I had to fit a central windscreen wiper for my 121 in route learning unit guise .

if you can't push the glazing units back into the apetures , then the cabs will have to come out .

At least its a good opportunity to fit crew figures .

A tube of solvent cement kept nearby would be a good idea  :this: 

• 1 month later...

Hattons L/E BR Blue Route Learning Class 122. TDB975023

Does anyone know where this unit was used ?

TIA

in 1984 it was allocated to Reading, in 1990 it was allocated to Old Oak Common, so basically Western Region London end.

• 3 weeks later...

Is 032 correct as depicted by this rendition? Photos I've seen of it earlier in its career, I can't find one with oval buffers past 1982 (It was still in all Blue in early '81 and painted B/G by December '81) or embellished with the Valleys dragon before 1985, and none show the number in the location depicted. Carrying the T132 number puts it firmly in its Tyseley days post 1986, I remember the unit as a regular on the Stourbridge Town turn from before we moved house in early '87. Every photo I have shows oleos and the 55032 number at the other end of the unit when viewed from the same side as the sample model. Its nothing that can't be fixed, but it is a little irksome when printing the number correctly and fitting the right parts comes down to an oversight or lack of research rather than a design compromise.

• 2 weeks later...

Dapol advert in the February edition of Model Rail shows the 5 new versions of the 122 as 'coming soon'. Also, the BR blue model, 55003, is now shown with the M prefix instead of W - Thanks Dapol !

Edited - typo

Edited by caradoc

It was also allocated to Longsight as a route learner travelling around the North West and although from these pictures it seems to have got about a bit!

https://www.railcar.co.uk/images/class-122/departmental/2

The 7th June 1991 picture is interesting. Working a passenger service or on the rear of one. Wonder if it was to just to add some ooomph after a power car had failed? Looks like T416 was a hybrid set of 115, 127, 127, 116.

• RMweb Gold

The 7th June 1991 picture is interesting. Working a passenger service or on the rear of one. Wonder if it was to just to add some ooomph after a power car had failed? Looks like T416 was a hybrid set of 115, 127, 127, 116.

Presumably attached as a power booster or as an easy ECS move.  Cars adapted for route learning use would be totally unsuitable for passenger traffic (as any happy little oiks, or even bigger oiks, could start interfering with the controls and of course the seating wasn't exactly to normal passenger standards either.

• RMweb Gold

Nor was the guard's compartment lockable for the carriage of mails.  I spent a Grand Day Out with one once with trainee guards covering Vale of Glamorgan and Margam from Canton, return main line.  The Guard's Inspector, Mr Lloyd IIRC, was in charge but left me to do the instructing, presumably hoping to catch me out (he didn't!).  It was a lovely day, and we had lunch at Margam, followed by a game of cricket on the rough ground between the shed and the SWML which featured a tin can and a brake stick bat, and flag sticks for the wicket.  Wouldn't be allowed now, of course; elf'n safe tee and all that!

Bubble cars were used in the 70s as strengtheners to improve the timekeeping of 120s on the Cardiff-Crewe trains, locked out of use for passengers.  They became de facto traincrew accommodation on the route, and all sorts of ad hoc seating arrangements to provide beds, card schools, etc. were in evidence.

• 2 weeks later...

Andrew,

I'm not sure.  It definitely seems to be the Inverness depot logo applied to the front, but all the photos on the Railcar website at https://railcar.co.uk/data/vehicle/?number=55026 seem to suggest that it was based in Bristol in the mid-1980s and I'm not aware of ever having seen a Class 121 in Inverness around that time.

• Like 1

More could have been done to pick out the underframe items as needed a little paint makes a big improvement. Just my opinion and I respect others that see it from a different perspective but coupled with the raised motor in the interior I will keep my money in the bank.

What on earth is that M or upside down W about? Ridiculous. I’d be really annoyed if I’d had the initial disappointment that original images showed it having a W prefix, then happy that further images shows it having a M, then shock horror, it’s neither a M or a W.

I’ll be in the market for a 122 if they do either 55005 (with 121 exhausts) or 55006 in blue and grey from their days on Stalybridge - Stockport shuttles in 1985/86. Here’s hoping.

1 hour ago, 66738 said:

What on earth is that M or upside down W about? Ridiculous. I’d be really annoyed if I’d had the initial disappointment that original images showed it having a W prefix, then happy that further images shows it having a M, then shock horror, it’s neither a M or a W.

I’ll be in the market for a 122 if they do either 55005 (with 121 exhausts) or 55006 in blue and grey from their days on Stalybridge - Stockport shuttles in 1985/86. Here’s hoping.

The upside-down W has put me off buying M55003, so at least I'll have £145 to spend on something else (I had planned to get the DCC fitted version). How on earth did Dapol accept that model from the factory as fit to sell ?

It doesn't appear to be the only livery error either. On the blue/grey Class 121, the vehicle number on one side is at the left hand end of the vehicle. Surely the numbers were at the right hand end on both sides ?

6 hours ago, caradoc said:

I thought that's how it looked ! What a daft thing to do.

.... and what's with white axleboxes on some of them?

Is it a Dapol company rule that there has to be at least one livery c*ck-up on every model?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Unfortunately they've made the same mistake as Heljan did on their O gauge class 60, the orange block on the Loadhaul version is angled the wrong way. The cabside division between orange and black should always slope up left to right. On the images on Rails' website on the left hand end it slopes up right to left.

How it should look:

20190212_215051.jpg.7726eaf27a97f4621a1b942a56071f67.jpg20190212_215113.jpg.fff2eb33598ad9b01bec243c26873ea0.jpg

It might just be the angle of Rails' picture but the angle if the orange/yellow divide looks odd on the front too (too vertical)

Just been to buy the green syp from my local superb model shop but alas there are no destination or headcode sheets in the box , after opening a further six boxes .....no destination blinds etc, seems the batch has affected by the omission of this necessary detailing.

Anybody else?

3 hours ago, BRIAN T said:

Just been to buy the green syp from my local superb model shop but alas there are no destination or headcode sheets in the box , after opening a further six boxes .....no destination blinds etc, seems the batch has affected by the omission of this necessary detailing.

Anybody else?

Had this with mine from the first batch, a quick email to Dapol and received very quickly, then promptly received a second set from Hattons where I bought it!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, stovepipe said:

55003 also has SP 7076 on the cab front - shouldn't that be 10.76 for a shopping proposal date?

It’s correct.  Under SP it says lifted 7076. The number refers to the depot or works where this was done. 7076 is Glasgow Works - see list here http://www.railwaycodes.org.uk/depots/depots2.shtm

Edit: would what was supposed to be a WR based unit really have been sent to Glasgow works to be lifted rather than somewhere closer to home is another matter!

Edited by brushman47544

Does anyone have any views on the colours used this time? The greens and blues on the first batch were not great, especially the blue, so I didn't buy one first time round. I have a green one from the first batch, with numbers in the wrong font, at the wrong end on one side and in a slightly questionable shade of green.