Hunslet class 05

Michael Delamar

I wonder if there's any way of collecting all that swarf, melting it down, and recasting it into useful weights......

Pretty easy.

But far easier to use lead and Tiranti Silicone for the moulds.

P

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I'm looking for a bit of advice. I recently purchased one of these locos in the recent Howes sale, and it has completely conked out on the second half of its running-in laps. Lights still work but no movement, with no noise from the motor. Has anyone else experienced this?

I've not had this happen with a new loco before - I know I can (and may have to) return it, but I don't think they have any replacements now, and I rather like it. If there's an easy-ish fix I might prefer to sort it myself.

• 1 year later...

The class 05 are actually te best running locomotive of all that I own. Insulfrog points are no problem and the mechanism on mine is really smooth. I now use the 05 as the benchmark against which I compare all other locomotives. 

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

My D2574 arrived today, a filigree tribute to the Fife coalfields of my imagined model hinterlands....  

I'm not given to complain, but the cab steps on one side were massively splayed out, to the point of infringing gauge.  I attempted to nudge them back slightly and their response was to immediately snap at the point where they are mated with the chassis frame.  My fault, and I wouldn't dream of returning them to Widnes, but a) has anyone else had such a problem and b) what adhesive would you recommend to join Danish plastic (that can be notoriously slippy) to the metal frame?

Asking, on this occasion, for myself and not 'a friend.'

My D2574 arrived today, a filigree tribute to the Fife coalfields of my imagined model hinterlands....  

I'm not given to complain, but the cab steps on one side were massively splayed out, to the point of infringing gauge.  I attempted to nudge them back slightly and their response was to immediately snap at the point where they are mated with the chassis frame.  My fault, and I wouldn't dream of returning them to Widnes, but a) has anyone else had such a problem and b) what adhesive would you recommend to join Danish plastic (that can be notoriously slippy) to the metal frame?

Asking, on this occasion, for myself and not 'a friend.'

I haven't found the 'perfect' glue yet. I manage to dislodge the steps from one side or other every second time I handle the loco! 

• 4 weeks later...

thibking of getting one of these now they only £69 but what do they run like over insulfrog points

The one I bought runs ok until it comes to point work - cleaned the pick ups and wheel backs and set the back to back using a guage tool - runs a bit better but wont travel over point work at slow speed -  I must have got a lemon based on all the postive reviews this loco received.

• 2 months later...
On 10/11/2016 at 22:59, stovepipe said:

I'm looking for a bit of advice. I recently purchased one of these locos in the recent Howes sale, and it has completely conked out on the second half of its running-in laps. Lights still work but no movement, with no noise from the motor. Has anyone else experienced this?

I've not had this happen with a new loco before - I know I can (and may have to) return it, but I don't think they have any replacements now, and I rather like it. If there's an easy-ish fix I might prefer to sort it myself.

Had this happen twice using gaugemaster chips.  Blew both of them.  Bachmann were ok.

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Two questions if I may having just picked up one, possibly... Two of these.

1. Does anyone have a contact email address for Heljan to order spares? I can see in the instructions it gives a postal address, but who uses snail mail anymore?!

2. I've been trying to find out a little more regarding the maroon livery, it looks lovely, but where was it used? Any reference photos of it in the real world?

Thank you :)

3 hours ago, Mic said:

1. Does anyone have a contact email address for Heljan to order spares? I can see in the instructions it gives a postal address, but who uses snail mail anymore?!

You don't mention which scale. As a first resort have you tried Howes?

4mm https://howesmodels.co.uk/product-category/model-railway/Heljan-uk/Heljan-oo-class-05-spares/

7mm https://howesmodels.co.uk/product-category/model-railway/Heljan-uk/Heljan-o-class-05-spares/

P

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

Porcy - have a pint on me, thank you, I wasn't aware Howes carried spares. I'll get some ordered :)

13 hours ago, Mic said:

2. I've been trying to find out a little more regarding the maroon livery, it looks lovely, but where was it used? Any reference photos of it in the real world?

Thank you :)

Maroon liveried 05 a figment of Heljans imagination I'm afraid.

Paul J.

2 minutes ago, Swindon 123 said:

Paul J.

I find it funny regarding D2595 in BR blue and people selling weathered versions, it never gets dirty.

Now I would like these in OO  http://martynhilbert.railpic.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10002/IMG_0009_28Custom29~2.jpg

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Swindon 123 said:

Paul J.

A shame! I wonder why they decided to release ficticious liveries... I certainly nearly purchased a Blue one until a little more research pointed to it only being across the pond in the Isle of Wight with that livery.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mic said:

A shame! I wonder why they decided to release ficticious liveries... I certainly nearly purchased a Blue one until a little more research pointed to it only being across the pond in the Isle of Wight with that livery.

I think there has been a preserved one in blue.  So not a fictitious livery exactly. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Now that we're a few years down the line from introduction, how are they holding up? Still smooth reliable running? I've thinking of ordering one so I'm curious to know if people still think of them as a smooth running reliable little shunter or if they've been surpassed since the 2015 introduction. 

1 hour ago, PenrithBeacon said:

Has anyone tried to convert one of these to EM/P4?

A quick read back through the thread might be helpful.

If, for P4 you want to retain prototypical wheel diameters and centres it's out with the lathe. EM on the other hand is way simpler.

Read on Macduff. From here,

Beware the crank pins. They are splined so a straight pull out. I've had a couple brought to me were the owner has tried screwing out the crank pin resulting in a "Screwed" wheel centre.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane

31 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

A quick read back through the thread might be helpful.

If, for P4 you want to retain prototypical wheel diameters and centres it's out with the lathe. EM on the other hand is way simpler.

Read on Macduff. From here,

Beware the crank pins. They are splined so a straight pull out. I've had a couple brought to me were the owner has tried screwing out the crank pin resulting in a "Screwed" wheel centre.

P

I was hoping that an alternative method had been thought of. I'll stick it on eBay at some point.

• RMweb Premium

Hunslet 05 frames are only 3ft 3in overall width, how wide are the Heljan ones? For standard gauge the axleboxes were mounted on the outside of the frames, for 3ft 6in gauge on the inside. They may only need scale thickness axleboxes fitting, the wheels are a good representation of the rather oddly flat faced ones fitted to the 05s.

• 7 months later...