Hunslet class 05

Michael Delamar

Is that shot taken at the Bay platform at Sandown? I remember it being kept there when I saw it, when we used to go on holidays there. I remember it in its later years, it wasn’t long after that when it was replaced by 03 079.

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, RJL said:

Is that shot taken at the Bay platform at Sandown? I remember it being kept there when I saw it, when we used to go on holidays there. I remember it in its later years, it wasn’t long after that when it was replaced by 03 079.

I'm afraid I have no idea where I took it, I hardly remember being on the Isle of Wight.

Edited by 96701
Typing rubbish

8 hours ago, RJL said:

It looks like Ryde St Johns to me, the reason being the toilet with the tiny window hung on the end of the box.  2554 is on the spur to the old steam shed. The track was removed when the land was needed for a car park and electricity substation.

Mike Wiltshire

• Thanks 2

• 3 years later...

Hi,
Sorry to resurrect an old thread.

I recently bought a 2nd hand Heljan Class 05 wihch was reported as being an excellent runner but with one buffer beam loose.

As it happens, it looks like the rear buffer beam and buffers need fully replacing as they're loose and twisted, and the rear beam won't stay on. I am tempted to do both front and back as I'd like to replace the wasp stripes with plain red.

It is an excellent runner - but in the opposite direction to everything else on my layout!

So my first question is - I know I can get a full spare pair of buffer beams from Gaugemaster for a very reasonable cost. How easy is it to assemble the new buffers and buffer beam, for a novice in this area? It seems on my example that it's the spring mechanism in the buffers thats causing them to sit twisted; is this going to be a challenge when assembling the new ones? I'm not madly fussed if the buffers aren't sprung if they'll stay in one position.

Secondly, with regard to the direction of running, is it just as simple as asking my local model shop (who do repairs) to swap two wires over? I run DC so assume its nothing related to a chip.

Thanks!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, alexl102 said:

Hi,
Sorry to resurrect an old thread.

I recently bought a 2nd hand Heljan Class 05 wihch was reported as being an excellent runner but with one buffer beam loose.

As it happens, it looks like the rear buffer beam and buffers need fully replacing as they're loose and twisted, and the rear beam won't stay on. I am tempted to do both front and back as I'd like to replace the wasp stripes with plain red.

It is an excellent runner - but in the opposite direction to everything else on my layout!

So my first question is - I know I can get a full spare pair of buffer beams from Gaugemaster for a very reasonable cost. How easy is it to assemble the new buffers and buffer beam, for a novice in this area? It seems on my example that it's the spring mechanism in the buffers thats causing them to sit twisted; is this going to be a challenge when assembling the new ones? I'm not madly fussed if the buffers aren't sprung if they'll stay in one position.

Secondly, with regard to the direction of running, is it just as simple as asking my local model shop (who do repairs) to swap two wires over? I run DC so assume its nothing related to a chip.

Thanks!

For the running direction, yes it simply means either swapping the feed wires from the pick-ups over or swapping those feeding the motor. 

But, have you checked it does not have a decoder fitted? I don’t know what behaviour CV29 has on DC direction of it does have one fitted. 

Anecdote: I once bought a DC Bachmann Class 03 as a non-runner for £35. Cost me about £5 to fix and had a LokSound v4 decoder in it - happy days!

Roy

• Like 3