Hunslet class 05

Michael Delamar

I has search about Heljan class 05 NCB limited edition on website but nothing to seen or heard

I was hinting that this "would" make a good limited edition as the NCB livery seem to in at the moment regarding model shunters

• 1 month later...

Invicta  Models are showing 05 as IN STOCK !

It's interesting that the models released, according to Invicta Models, are the later announced by Heljan, North Eastern Region versions. They seem to have leapfrogged the Scottish Region versions

There's an advert in the back of the latest issue of Hornby Magazine for Along Classic Lines, n that says they have Heljan 05's in stock as well, everywhere else still seems have them as pre-order though...

• RMweb Premium

I do want one of these - but I hope the mechanism is more "128" (to be honest, near perfection) than "14" (too much sideplay) or railbus (heavily over lubricated)  ... the selfish question is whether to order it now, and post the pictures of it as a public service, or wait for someone else to do the same.

- Richard.

I do want one of these - but I hope the mechanism is more "128" (to be honest, near perfection) than "14" (too much sideplay) or railbus (heavily over lubricated)  ... the selfish question is whether to order it now, and post the pictures of it as a public service, or wait for someone else to do the same.

- Richard.

I purchased an 05 this morning running qualities are good

Can anyone tell me where the real departmental no. 88 was based, please? (With apologies if this has already been answered in the previous pages of this thread).

Edit: Sorry, I didn't see the last post from The Ghost! Same question ... great minds think alike, etc.

Edited by SRman

• RMweb Gold

Can anyone tell me where the real departmental no. 88 was based, please? (With apologies if this has already been answered in the previous pages of this thread).

Edit: Sorry, I didn't see the last post from The Ghost! Same question ... great minds think alike, etc.

According to my 1963 Ian Allan Locoshed book, Faverdale Works, Darlington.

John

So these are all the north eastern locos? Did any work anywhere near the north west?  I'm looking for an excuse to buy one!  Anyone know where No88 worked and when?  I can't find anything on the web about it.

I did a lot of research for Heljan on the 05 histories and came up with the following on the two departmental locos.

Two locos, D2612 in February 1961, and D2615 in January 1964, where transferred into Departmental stock as Departmental No 88 and 89 respectively. No 88 was allocated to Faverdale Wagon Works until June 1963 when it was transferred to Barassie Works in Scotland, and allocated to Hurleford (87B). Later in February 1964 it was transferred to Ayre (87C) where it was withdrawn in September 1967. No 89 was allocated to Dinsdale Rail Welding Depot from January 1964 until November 1967, when it was returned to capital stock as D2615 and withdrawn a month later.

With regards to 05's working in the North West, five where allocated there from the NE batch produced by Heljan, as follows.

D2603-D2606 where transferred to the London Midland Region in December 1965, and allocated to Holyhead (6J) and later Llandudno Junction (6G). D2603 spent a short time in 1966 allocated to Rugby, then Crewe depots before returning to Holyhead. Withdrawal for all four came in December 1967.

For completeness here is the history of the other NE batch members not mentioned above.

The second batch of 33 locos differed from the Scottish batch of locos in having a different design of cab window and radiator shutters at the front of the bonnet. Numbered D2586 to D2618, they were delivered to the North Eastern region of British Rail between November 1959 and April 1961 in Green with wasp stripes, Red buffer beams and fly crank. Coupling rods where unpainted, but most if not all had them painted red in later life. From new the LH facing emblem 'lion & wheel' emblem was applied. Initially allocated to a number of depots in the North East from Wakefield and Ardsley in the South to Tweedmouth in the North, as well as York, Leeds (Holbeck) and Goole. Later transfers also saw them allocated to Bradford Hammerton Street, West Hartlepool, and Gateshead.

Not being popular to drive and with work running out for them in the North East, a large number where transferred to the Scottish Region in April 1967. (D2587, 2589, 2592, 2593, 2595, 2596, 2597, 2608, 2617, 2618). They were scattered around Scottish depots with some going to Haymarket, Leith Central, Dunfermline and Thornton Junction. All had been withdrawn from service by December 1967, except for some of those transferred to Scotland, withdrawn in June 1968.

To complete the post here is the history of the Scottish batch, still awaiting delivery from Heljan.

12 locos, D2574-D2585, where ordered for the Scottish Region of British Rail and delivered between July 1958 and April 1959. Initially the livery was all over Green with Red buffer beams and fly crank with coupling rods left unpainted. When delivered, the 'lion & wheel' emblem was applied facing the front. However in 1959 it was realised that British Railways only had permission to use the LH facing emblem. From then on repainted locos only had LH facing 'lion & wheel' emblems applied. Some locos kept the forward facing lions until the mid-1960's at least, possibly until withdrawal. From 1962 locos started to receive wasp stripes on the cab and bonnet ends as well as red coupling rods. The first 2 where allocated to Stranraer Depot (68C later 67F) and remained in the Ayre, Stranraer area until transferred to Thornton Junction in 1967. The next 10 where allocated to Thornton Junction (62A) from new and could be found working in the Dundee area as far north as Arbroath, and as far south as Dunfermline. Some locos where later allocated to Dundee depot (62B). Never a popular loco with loco men, on account of the gearbox, the class was withdrawn from service between June 1967 and June 1968.

After withdrawal most locos went for scrap. However 11 escaped the cutters torch and went into industrial use. 6 went into use with the NCB at various collieries around Yorkshire, (D2598, 2599, 2607, 2611, 2613 and 2616). Two went into use with BSC at their Duports Works in Briton Ferry, South Wales, (D2600, 2601). Three where sold back to Hunslets (the original builders), for refurbishment and further industrial use. One was D2578 of the original Scottish batch, the other two being D2587 and D2595 of the NE batch. D2578 was subsequently sold to HP Bulmers of Hereford in July 1968, given the Bulmers house livery of Green with white cab roof and the fleet number “2”. In November 1968 the loco was named "Cider Queen" at the opening of the new Bulmers rail facilities. The loco was registered to run over British Rail lines and given B.T.C. registration number 3393. The loco retained this livery, except for the cab roof repainted Grey until sold by Bulmers in June 2001 to the D2578 Locomotive Group, who restored it back to BR livery at their Moreton On Lugg base in Herefordshire. D2587 and D2595 where refurbished for use by the CEGB at Chadderton Power Station and later Kearsley Power Station in orange livery. In March 1983 the CEGB sold them to the East Lancs Railway at Bury. After a few moves, D2587 currently resides on Peak Rail under ownership of the Heritage Shunters Group in BR Green. D2595 was subsequently moved to Steamport Railway Centre in 1989. It is presently at the Ribble steam Railway, Preston in BR Blue livery. D2578, D2587 and D2595, along with one of the 1955-1958 design, D2554 on the Isle of Wight, are the only locos of the class to be preserved.

The above is the best I have been able to piece together from various information sources. I hope it is 100% accurate, but, as always there may be bits of the puzzle missing. If anyone can add to, correct, or elaborate on the above please feel free to do so.

Paul J. (self confessed 05 nut).

Edited to correct Loco number.

Edited by Swindon 123
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I purchased an 05 this morning running qualities are good

I've noticed Hattons are already showing one of the versions as "limited stocks" - I've got my order in!

- Richard.

Edited by 47137

I did a lot of research for Heljan on the 05 histories and came up with the following on the two departmental locos.

Two locos, D2512 in February 1961, and D2615 in January 1964, where transferred into Departmental stock as Departmental No 88 and 89 respectively.

Is D2512 a typo Paul? Think it should be D2612.