Hunslet class 05

Michael Delamar

Attractive though the model is, I find no evidence for them in the KX area. There were some at times out East on the Sweedey I believe, but never saw those.

It is surprising where they got to though. The nearest members to Kings Cross would have been in the Colchester area, and they where the earlier 1955-8 batch not modelled by Heljan. D2566, D2569 and D2570 from the early batch,were allocated to Swindon between Aug 1965 and June 1966 for some reason before moving on to Speke Jcn. Not much use for the Heljan model, but the precedent was set for modellers licence. 

Is D2512 a typo Paul? Think it should be D2612.

Thanks for that Broadway Clive. I've corrected the post.

Paul J.

Has anyone noticed that they have lights? Single white to the front, single red to the rear in the direction of travel. Suitable for a light engine run along the main line, if not for shunting. The tiny front lamps stand clear of the locomotive front, so getting them to light is quite an achievement.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Bought one from Lord and Butler this AM (first sold in a shop in Wales, I was told...hmm).

Stunning runner. Almost silent going forwards on 7 Mk1s at all sensible speeds from crawl upwards. Slight growl in reverse at present. Copes with insulfrog points and diamonds fine. Cab levers off very easily for fitment of electrical gubbins, or in my case 3 crew figures. Speaker is in cab floor if you like that sort of thing.

Well impressed.

Edited by Tim Hall

Bought one from Lord and Butler this AM (first sold in a shop in Wales, I was told...hmm).

Stunning runner. Almost silent going forwards on 7 Mk1s at all sensible speeds from crawl upwards. Slight growl in reverse at present. Copes with insulfrog points and diamonds fine. Cab levers off very easily for fitment of electrical gubbins, or in my case 3 crew figures. Speaker is in cab floor if you like that sort of thing.

Well impressed.

All good to hear !

Speaker *is* in cab floor, or speaker *can be fitted* in cab floor ?  Is access to this compartment underneath ?  If so this would be novel !

I had a look at these in Trains4U yesterday, prior to the expected purchase. Absolutely gorgeous little model, but I had to decline I'm afraid. I was all set up to buy the dep.88 model, but luckily I double-checked before leaving home. I was certain that I had a pic of 88 at Peterborough - when I checked it was 81, a totally different type. Doh!

The Heljan variety of 05 is of no use for me in an East Anglian theme I'm afraid, as nice as it is. I still have my early version Silver Fox kit though.

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

Had an email from Tim at Arcadia Models earlier in the week to say the 05s were in stock. Then a stroke of good luck, I work as a part time coach driver and todays job was taking a group of students into Manchester. So while they enjoyed the city centre, I jumped on Metrolink to Shaw, then a 5 minute walk to Arcadia Models. Welcomed with a mug of tea, then invited to run the 05 on his test track. Yes, very nice model, runs well. Then back on Metrolink to Manchester. So I actually got paid to go shopping for my 05! As always, excellent service from Arcadia and competitive price too.

There is quite a howler in the instruction leaflet 'thank you for purchasing this retooled class 33! Made me smile.

For DCC it says it needs a 6 pin chip, while there is space on the cab floor for a micro speaker. Two cab windows are modelled open to let the sould out. But who is going to produce a sound chip for it?

• Like 1

There is quite a howler in the instruction leaflet 'thank you for purchasing this retooled class 33! Made me smile.

This matches my impression, that the liveries and seemingly the instructions were made in a hurry. D2600 as well as No 88 both have the numbers D2600 on the front bufferbeam.

Has anyone got one with a proprietary coupling (NEM pocket plus tension-lock) or is this the first RTR model to be supplied with ONLY a screw coupling? Just wondered if the couplers are missing from mine - as there's no mention of them in the instruction sheet.

CHRIS LEIGH

Has anyone got one with a proprietary coupling (NEM pocket plus tension-lock) or is this the first RTR model to be supplied with ONLY a screw coupling? Just wondered if the couplers are missing from mine - as there's no mention of them in the instruction sheet.

CHRIS LEIGH

Mine has a pair of tension locks in a sealed packet.

• RMweb Gold

It is surprising where they got to though. The nearest members to Kings Cross would have been in the Colchester area, and they where the earlier 1955-8 batch not modelled by Heljan. D2566, D2569 and D2570 from the early batch,were allocated to Swindon between Aug 1965 and June 1966 for some reason before moving on to Speke Jcn. Not much use for the Heljan model, but the precedent was set for modellers licence. 

Thanks for that Broadway Clive. I've corrected the post.

Paul J.

Ah - always wondered about this working, that accounts for it! http://www.miac.org.uk/worcs1965.html, scroll down to 3rd June 1966.

Many thanks

Phil

Had a quick look.....as it uses 2mm axles, needs some thought ! 

For EM will the wheels just pull out on the axle and slip a couple of Plastic C washers down the back? The flange doesn't look to obtrusive.  Can't think of any after market wheels with 12 spokes of 3' 7" Diameter?

For P4 I've initially been thinking about trying to pop out the wheel centres and turning them down to glue into a 14mm or 15 mm Gibson tyre. A plan probably destined to fail from the outset.

The more ambitious plan is to build a spare branchlines 03 chassis (with the centres between the rear axle and jackshaft corrected) to 00 and pin the cosmetic frames to that. All dependant sorting out the wheels first.

post-508-0-73838500-1437158112.jpg

Porcy

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I do want one of these - but I hope the mechanism is more "128" (to be honest, near perfection) than "14" (too much sideplay) or railbus (heavily over lubricated)  ... the selfish question is whether to order it now, and post the pictures of it as a public service, or wait for someone else to do the same.

- Richard.

Mine arrived in the post today and exceeds expectations. My layout is 'down' for more construction so the loco has only run in the fiddle yard and on a rolling road today, but it seems well made and a lot of character. The wheels seem commendably fine which is good because they are quite prominent on this design, and the cab lifts off if you want to put in a driver, which seems worthwhile with so much glazing.

My opinion of Heljan really is a whole lot better than a few years ago (I sold off my railbus on eBay) - the 05 is another very good model.

Edit: mine is a blue one from Hattons, who reported nine of these in stock on Wednesday and now seem to have sold out. Popular.

- Richard.

Edited by 47137

My opinion of Heljan really is a whole lot better than a few years ago (I sold off my railbus on eBay) - the 05 is another very good model.

It would be slightly unfair to compare those wheels to a nice, shiny, 1980s Mainline 03. And - yes - it's not much work to correct, but, I'd expect a bit better for around £100. I'm sure once we see some home-weathered examples I'll lose any jitters over the upcoming Metropolitan Bo-Bo...

• RMweb Premium

It would be slightly unfair to compare those wheels to a nice, shiny, 1980s Mainline 03. And - yes - it's not much work to correct, but, I'd expect a bit better for around £100. I'm sure once we see some home-weathered examples I'll lose any jitters over the upcoming Metropolitan Bo-Bo...

Sorry you've lost me here! The wheels look like they were moulded specially for his model and they look much like the real ones to me. If this was a kit for the same money.most likely it wouldn't have any wheels at all -  I think its cheering how prices are still this low compared to Continental models. Now to get mine run in :-)

- Richard.

• RMweb Premium

Saw one of these at Club last night. A very nice model. Only comment, Should the coupling rods be red as per other BR Green shunter's? It looked a little odd in base metal. An easy fix though.

Still on my to purchase list.

For EM will the wheels just pull out on the axle and slip a couple of Plastic C washers down the back? The flange doesn't look to obtrusive.  Can't think of any after market wheels with 12 spokes of 3' 7" Diameter?

For P4 I've initially been thinking about trying to pop out the wheel centres and turning them down to glue into a 14mm or 15 mm Gibson tyre. A plan probably destined to fail from the outset.

The more ambitious plan is to build a spare branchlines 03 chassis (with the centres between the rear axle and jackshaft corrected) to 00 and pin the cosmetic frames to that. All dependant sorting out the wheels first.

attachicon.gifHlt05Medelling-005-EditSm.jpg

Porcy

Pulling the wheels out is exactly what I did with the Hattons/Heljan Class 14!

Edited by pete55

• RMweb Premium

Not an NER modeller.

All ready have a scratchbuilt big cab Hunslet, (and a small cab one)

Don't need one. :rtfm:

I went into John Dutfield Model Railways today, what a lovely model, it don't 'alf run beautifully, and isn't the box nice. "Would like a bag for it?" asked Heather as she handed me my receipt. :locomotive: :locomotive:

• RMweb Premium

Saw one of these at Club last night. A very nice model. Only comment, Should the coupling rods be red as per other BR Green shunter's? It looked a little odd in base metal. An easy fix though.

Still on my to purchase list.

After reading this post. Am I correct in thinking,all the locos in green, with wasp stripes, late crest, should be carrying red rods then. The one I saw last night was D2600, Green, Wasp stripes, late crest. no red rods, looked a little odd with out.

After reading this post. Am I correct in thinking,all the locos in green, with wasp stripes, late crest, should be carrying red rods then. The one I saw last night was D2600, Green, Wasp stripes, late crest. no red rods, looked a little odd with out.

"The Diesel Shunter. A Pictorial Record" by Colin Marsden.

Plate 91. D2600 at Selby on 10 August 1960. Rods look to be Steel. It's a B&W pic but they are definitely a different colour to the jackshaft weight which I assume to be red.

A pic in my collection shows D2611 on a RCTS brake van special around the Axeholme Railway on 14/9/1963 and that appears to be the same.

Hth

P