Hornby P2

Dick Turpin

The concession Gresleys represent the early BR period and would maybe require a little "alteration"before running with the P2. PM Locomotion Models to enquire.

Thats true. To be strictly accurate for behind the P2 they would need lining out and LNER insignia added, but then again the Railroad P2's have limited lining. I have been buying my teak coaches from Sandra at Locomotion-NRM Shildon, a great lass. My latest order was placed around noon 22nd December and it arrived this morning 24th Dec at 9am......That's what I call service. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just compared the two ex "Rare bird" teaks with the few original R417X series I have.

Although the grain is nicely done, better IMHO than the latest early BR releases, the actual colour is several shades darker than the earlier ones.

My P2 is getting smoother by the day and the noise level is reducing also. Maybe it will end up a really good runner after all.

Keith

EDIT clarified shade comparison

Edited by melmerby

Purchased my "Regular Range" P2 from a main box shifter, and it arrived last week with a few points of damage. The loco's right hand buffer was broken off in the box, and the right hand plastic valve gear was snapped in three places. The engine's brake rods from the detail pack were also snapped in various places. I plan to replace the buffers with sprung types anyway, and I'll contact Hornby about obtaining a new detail pack, but I am fairly disappointed, as I haven't had problems with a Hornby product in a few years.  

Maroon ones are much cheaper.

The last three show I've been two had no teaks, apart from Warley where one stand had some for £60 each

They were not there a few hours later! (I didn't buy them!)

Keith

You weren't looking hard enough. The Locomotion stand at Warley was selling rakes of 5 for £125! They extended this offer to their website a few days ago selling coaches for £25 each Edited by sub39h

I have just received a tts fitted p2 direct from Hornby. The service was fantastic. Unfortunately when the logo is put into reverse, the sound of the brakes releasing happens but then there is just the sound of the loco idling as it moves off. Also when you play some of the sounds it automatically plays a whistle afterwards.

• RMweb Premium

You weren't looking hard enough. The Locomotion stand at Warley was selling rakes of 5 for £125! They extended this offer to their website a few days ago selling coaches for £25 each

Not LNER period they weren't (unless they were very well hidden!)

Keith

I have just received a tts fitted p2 direct from Hornby. The service was fantastic. Unfortunately when the logo is put into reverse, the sound of the brakes releasing happens but then there is just the sound of the loco idling as it moves off. Also when you play some of the sounds it automatically plays a whistle afterwards.

I was  speaking  to  TIM  at  Arcadiarail only the other  day  and  he  mentioned  this TTS fault  and  advised  me  that  Hornby  have  given him details 0f  a CV  which needs changing to a different  value to  sort  out  the   problem mentioned, unfortunatley  i did not  note  the  details  as  the  problem does not  affect  me  personally, but  obviously  Hornby  must  be  aware  so perhaps  a  call to  them may  help.  If  a  get  a  chance  I  will phone  TIM  and  ask him  for  the  details!

Edited by Stevelewis

I was  speaking  to  TIM  at  Arcadiarail only the other  day  and  he  mentioned  this TTS fault  and  advised  me  that  Hornby  have  given him details 0f  a CV  which needs changing to a different  value to  sort  out  the   problem mentioned, unfortunatley  i did not  note  the  details  as  the  problem does not  affect  me  personally, but  obviously  Hornby  must  be  aware  so perhaps  a  call to  them may  help.  If  a  get  a  chance  I  will phone  TIM  and  ask him  for  the  details!

I have  received  the  following  info  from  Tim  At  Arcadia  this  was  given to him  by Hornby when he  reported a problem:

Change CV 151   to  value 255  and  change  CV 152  to   1.

EDIT  WHOOOOOOPS    Cvs are 151  & 152  not as  originally stated  both 152,  interpretation error!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Stevelewis

That doesn't explain how changing the same CV to 2 different values fixes the problem.

Steve edited his post. See below.

I have  received  the  following  info  from  Tim  At  Arcadia  this  was  given to him  by Hornby when he  reported a problem:

Change CV 151   to  value 255  and  change  CV 152  to   1.

EDIT  WHOOOOOOPS    Cvs are 151  & 152  not as  originally stated  both 152,  interpretation error!!!!!!!!!

This is all very well. Thank you for your advice. I am new to dcc sound. I have been modelling dcc in n gauge for a number of years. I currently use a Bachmann EZ digital controller. I have no ability to change cv's. Buying a brand new loco for £150, you don't expect to have to start modifying things before you use them.

This is all very well. Thank you for your advice. I am new to dcc sound. I have been modelling dcc in n gauge for a number of years. I currently use a Bachmann EZ digital controller. I have no ability to change cv's. Buying a brand new loco for £150, you don't expect to have to start modifying things before you use them.

A bit off topic but relevant re the TTS  ,  the  Bachmann E-z is  an excellent  started  system for new  users  to get  a  feel for digital control, but  as  you say very limited by the inability to  alter CV values ( except of  course loco address and forward reverse direction) 

I have one  here which  I keep as  a spare or in case I need to test something quickly (in the  Kitchen!!  :O !) without going to  my main layouts.

Hoever re your comment regarding not having to modify anything from new,  I personally  find  that  many locos  I have purchased  both for myself & others do need CV values changing  Notably CVs   3 & 4 acceleration & deceleration  rates, as often these have been set at values  which provide   a very rapid  accel.  and very abrupt  deceleration.

In fact  I have  had  2 identical locos  which  had very different  charicteristics  when  tested  straight from the  box,  only recently   I fitted 2 Arnold Hornby Brighton Belles with  6 pin decoders, both decoders  new previously unused,  the running  charicteristics  of the 2 Belles were different initially, but this was changed by altering CV values

I contacted Hornby today about the fault on my loco. I was told by a young lady that the issue was due to the fact I am using a Bachmann EZ command controller. She told me I would have to send my loco (a Hornby product) to Bachman forthcoming to alter the cv's. This totally gobsmacked me. She told me that my controller was not compatible with the tts sound system but she didn't understand when I told her I have a tts sound A4 that works perfectly on the controller. I told her I was not happy and I am now sending the loco back to Hornby for a full refund. I think I will be buying a Bachmann sound class 40 instead.

As  I  think  someone  mentioned  earlier,  investment  in  a  more  advanced  digital   system  will pay dividends, remember  the  EZ system  is  only  rated  at  1 -Amp  most  other systems  are at  least  3-0 Amps  or  more,  ( I have  one  which is  rated  at  12  Amps  but  thats  another  story!)

• 2 weeks later...

I gave up with my P2 and sent it back to Hornby for repair, the motor was so noisy and the speed kept going up and down and despite running it is as per instructions and changing some CVs as recommended by Hornby it just wasn`t getting any better, Good news they have been on the phone today to say that the Motor was one of a faulty batch they received and they have changed the motor so hopefully when it returns it will run the way you would expect from a Hornby. So fingers crossed ,,,,

Quick update regarding my P2 TTS, got it back from Hornby last week and to my horror it was just same despite Hornby fitting a new motor, it still Buzzes like a crazy Bee when running so its gone straight back to them but this time I have told them unless they get it running the way you would expect a Hornby to run I don't want it back because this problem has been ongoing since last October.

• RMweb Gold

Quick update regarding my P2 TTS, got it back from Hornby last week and to my horror it was just same despite Hornby fitting a new motor, it still Buzzes like a crazy Bee when running so its gone straight back to them but this time I have told them unless they get it running the way you would expect a Hornby to run I don't want it back because this problem has been ongoing since last October.

Can I suggest that you request a brand new replacement from them ? I think that is what should have happened in the first place and the sensible way out of this,surely .

• Like 1

Just gave mine an outing for the first time on my new railway - is it my track laying or is this a dedicated falling off the track machine ? IT seems fine on straight track, and even flexi curves, but it seems to think points were made for falling off from - I have both code 70 and code 100 and it seems not to care which as soon as you ask it to go round a corner, or reverse through the point - regardless of how close the tender is coupled - off she falls.

I also haven't put it through anything tighter than a 5' radius.

It's even more sensitive than the Bachman Peppercorns!

Thanks

Edited by bigwordsmith