Hornby P2

Dick Turpin

Saw the newly released Railroad version of this loco in Model Junction in Bury St Edmunds this afternoon, looked really good.

Hornby have updated the specification of this model,the front buffers are now separately fitted turned metal components which enhance it's looks considerably.

It would be nice if the enhanced version be re-released with these features.

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Saw the newly released Railroad version of this loco in Model Junction in Bury St Edmunds this afternoon, looked really good.

Hornby have updated the specification of this model,the front buffers are now separately fitted turned metal components which enhance it's looks considerably.

I thought they always were seperate turned buffers?

In answer to my original question, the next release of the Railroad version is now in stock at Hereford Model Centre, for £72.95 plus postage.

Advertised by them on Ebay, they had four remaining which has now dropped to three!

John.

Thanks for the Heads up, john.

I missed out first time around so I quickly jumped site's and grabbed one. Theirs are about the cheapest at the moment too.

Are you referring to R3171 RailRoad LNER P2 or R1183 Master of Glens Train Set version? None of them seem to be in stock on Hornby's website or any other retailers

Are you referring to R3171 RailRoad LNER P2 or R1183 Master of Glens Train Set version? None of them seem to be in stock on Hornby's website or any other retailers

Definately the Railroad version R3171, looked very nice I must say. Separately fitted metal buffers at the front, however the tender still has the moulded variety.....

I think by the time I cover the Railroad lettering and Numbering with a set of Shaded decals, and pick out some of the detailing with a fine brush and pop in a bit of cab glazing. You'd be hard pressed to pick it from the non Railroad version, for 72 quid and a bit of time and material, However I should reserve any wildly speculative claims until the model is in my hands and I've actually done said work !

I think by the time I cover the Railroad lettering and Numbering with a set of Shaded decals, and pick out some of the detailing with a fine brush and pop in a bit of cab glazing. You'd be hard pressed to pick it from the non Railroad version, for 72 quid and a bit of time and material, However I should reserve any wildly speculative claims until the model is in my hands and I've actually done said work !

Sadly not that simple , you need also to fully line out the model including the wheel sets.

I think the image on the Olivia's Trains website shows metal buffers. I'm not too sure about it. But it does look a bit different.

Hornby RailRoad P2
http://www.oliviastrains.com/wp-content/files_mf/1440519976R3171_2001_1.JPG
If you look at the buffer shanks it does seem to reflect like something metallic. But again not too sure.

Hornby P2
http://www.oliviastrains.com/wp-content/files_mf/14111323392001_FULL.JPG
Can very much see the plastic buffers here.

I think the image on the Olivia's Trains website shows metal buffers. I'm not too sure about it. But it does look a bit different.

Hornby RailRoad P2

http://www.oliviastrains.com/wp-content/files_mf/1440519976R3171_2001_1.JPG

If you look at the buffer shanks it does seem to reflect like something metallic. But again not too sure.

Hornby P2

http://www.oliviastrains.com/wp-content/files_mf/14111323392001_FULL.JPG

Can very much see the plastic buffers here.

The front buffers on the one that I saw in the glass cabinet in the shop looked the colour of darkened metallic. They were definately metal, a fact confirmed by the chap behind the counter who said that a batch of them had just arrived a few days previous.

Edited by Black 5 Bear

The front buffers on the one that I saw in the glass cabinet in the shop looked the colour of darkened metallic. They were definately metal, a fact confirmed by the chap behind the counter who said that a batch of them had just arrived a few days previous.

I've asked Hornby too.... Let's see if anyone can get images.

• Like 1

Sadly not that simple , you need also to fully line out the model including the wheel sets.

No time to lose then, I'd better find my paint rollers and crayons ;)

If I make a hash, I'll try again, Got to start somewhere, better off with a 70 quid loco than a full fat version. Painting Is a bit of the hobby I've been a bit reluctant to try, not sure why as I've been successfully re - painting slot cars for years.

No time to lose then, I'd better find my paint rollers and crayons ;)

If I make a hash, I'll try again, Got to start somewhere, better off with a 70 quid loco than a full fat version. Painting Is a bit of the hobby I've been a bit reluctant to try, not sure why as I've been successfully re - painting slot cars for years.

Looking at your signature pic of 60023 in early BR blue, makes me wonder how a P2 would look in that scheme - we have had some cracking examples in Brunswick Green already on this thread. Ponder, ponder!!

John.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, everyone. Here's a reminder of what I managed to do with the Railroad version last year - a transformation to a more detailed and fully lined version. It made things a lot less worrying in case anything had happened to have gone wrong with the upgrade of the model.

In this photo' is the model out of the box:

post-22631-0-72688800-1441051872_thumb.jpg

And here is a photo' of the completed Railroad P2:

post-22631-0-69356500-1441051932_thumb.jpg

With best regards,

Market65.

P.S. Please note that after research it was found that the wheel rims are polished metal rather than the LNER black and white lining.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Hi, everyone. Here's a reminder of what I managed to do with the Railroad version last year - a transformation to a more detailed and fully lined version. It made things a lot less worrying in case anything had happened to have gone wrong with the upgrade of the model.

In this photo' is the model out of the box:

attachicon.gif100_6028 - Copy.JPG

And here is a photo' of the completed Railroad P2:

attachicon.gif100_6103 - Copy.JPG

With best regards,

Market65.

P.S. Please note that after research it was found that the wheel rims are polished metal rather than the LNER black and white lining.

They certainly look lined on these images:

http://d240vprofozpi.cloudfront.net/locos/P/p2_2001.jpg

https://www.model-railways-live.co.uk/userfiles/image/Hornby%20P2%20Proto%202(1).jpg

Keith

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold

I think that those two photo's will date from after the first couple of months from 2001's delivery from Doncaster Works in 1934. If I remember correctly, 2001's wheels were polished metal to enable it to take part in various displays, and were lined out afterwards. See this history here:http://www.p2steam.com/history/original-p2s/no-2001.

Withe best regards,

Market65.

Looking through Hornby's website last night in the spares section, I noticed that they advertise an X9108 motor for £7.99. I think I am right in saying that this can be used to upgrade either the Railroad or Full version of the P2 to having a five pole motor.

My own Railroad version arrived from Hereford yesterday, stunning value for money, and the only thing I would wish to change (other than a repaint) would be the motor to improve slow speed running. If I remember correctly there are You Tube videos on how to do this, for example by MikeNdbs of this forum.

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson

Looking through Hornby's website last night in the spares section, I noticed that they advertise an X9108 motor for £7.99. I think I am right in saying that this can be used to upgrade either the Railroad or Full version of the P2 to having a five pole motor.

My own Railroad version arrived from Hereford yesterday, stunning value for money, and the only thing I would wish to change (other than a repaint) would be the motor to improve slow speed running. If I remember correctly there are You Tube videos on how to do this, for example by MikeNdbs of this forum.

John.

But no need for the capacitors! 

Still waiting for mine to arrive from UK. But I was sort of hoping that this current batch had some of the issues from the original batch ( ie slow speed running from the 3 pole) addressed, but looking at John's post I see that maybe not the case, but I shall wait and see what it's like when I get it in my hot little hands, at which point I shall decide if I re motor it or just move it on.

At the end of the day it was only 70 quid so we shall have to see if it's the bargain of the century (like the BR Green Railroad Mallard I bought a while back) or you get what you pay for and that's that.

I think however if I were to fork out the extra for the soon to be re - released "full fat" version (which I may still do, if I can see one in the flesh prior to forking out the dosh), I would  hope for a "full fat" motor.

Still I cant help but look wistfully at my Railroad A1 from a few years ago( the first RR A1 with new tooling )  and think what a splendid model that was/is, separate handrails, shaded lettering, fully painted and lined, 5 pole motor etc etc. Very little between it and the full fat version, except a lack of Glazing, older type tender (but still with pickups) and a non detailed cab. All very easy to sort out. ( Edit - Also lacked Lubricator arm and speedo drive )

But nothing stays the same forever I suppose and if you keep looking back, You'll only get a sore neck. :locomotive:

Edited for Edit in paragraph 3 !!! ;)

Edited by The Blue Streak

It does seem to me that we need to be careful not to try to have our cake and eat it. The whole issue of Hornby's pricing and quality - what you get for your money - has been raked over time and time again on this and no doubt other forums.

If you choose to go for the lower level product in anything, you can't expect it to have a top spec. So for example I wouldn't expect my Skoda Octavia to be as good as the comparable Audi despite sharing a common VW group basic platform. We're paying £50 - 60 less for the Railroad P2 against the Full version, say 60% of the Full price, and its not unreasonable to have to do some work to bring it up a bit, whether its a better motor or some careful painting and lining as done by Market 65 above.

What is clear is that Hornby themselves are still firming up on what attributes each of the ranges should carry - and a look at the reviews of the Crosti 9F make this obvious. Coming back to the P2 it does strike me as odd that the Full version has a relatively poor motor - it may simply be that Hornby made a mistake - and that's one good reason to save yourself some money and go for the Railroad version!

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson

Seems Hornby are fitting a proper 5 pole motor to the Railroad 9F, so maybe lesson learned.

Just a shame that with the P2 an iconic loco they stuck this horrid cheap motor in it, despite already having a perfectly suitable motor that fitted.

Anyway, like you say this has been gone over time and time again :)