Hornby P2

Dick Turpin

On 05/07/2019 at 18:43, Hilux5972 said:

You could always do a 2007 as Prince of Wales and also one as Duke of Rothesay which I believe it will run as when in Scotland to mark the Princes Scottish title. 

It got to be better than naming it after his Mrs. Better than that I could call it Princess Of Wales (AKA) DIANA.

Edited by DonnyRailMan

• 2 weeks later...

I did the motor swop to an X9108 on my matt, fully lined example yesterday, and to confirm what many have said the running is a great deal better. I also added all the little bits, and set the tender/ loco coupling at its closest setting. Perhaps surprisingly the loco still goes round my tightest curves quite happily, minimum radius 27'', with just a tiny bit of slowing on one curve that I think I can cure by slightly rounding off the cab footplate at the edges, or indeed a couple of passes with the file on the tender/ loco coupling hole. Can't say I'm that impressed with the metal but printed nameplates supplied by Hornby, and I'll try to find some proper etched ones with raised lettering.

Time to move onto my Railroad version, which is scheduled for a proper upgrade with all-separate handrails as well as an X9108, and then a respray to BR Brunswick green.

John.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, John Tomlinson said:

I did the motor swop to an X9108 on my matt, fully lined example yesterday, and to confirm what many have said the running is a great deal better. I also added all the little bits, and set the tender/ loco coupling at its closest setting. Perhaps surprisingly the loco still goes round my tightest curves quite happily, minimum radius 27'', with just a tiny bit of slowing on one curve that I think I can cure by slightly rounding off the cab footplate at the edges, or indeed a couple of passes with the file on the tender/ loco coupling hole. Can't say I'm that impressed with the metal but printed nameplates supplied by Hornby, and I'll try to find some proper etched ones with raised lettering.

Time to move onto my Railroad version, which is scheduled for a proper upgrade with all-separate handrails as well as an X9108, and then a respray to BR Brunswick green.

John.

Will have a play around with the close draw-bar. Looking forward to seeing your Brunswick Green P2.

Having inspected the back of the cab floor and tender fronts in more detail, there didn't seem to be a tidy way of removing some material. On some locos/ tenders there's a raised lip that can be gently filed back at the edges to give a bit more leeway on curves. So I've settled for slightly extending the coupling bar hole.

Many years ago I bought a finished K's P2 (the only built kit I've ever bought), and had quite a struggle getting the loco (minus the tender) round my curves, eventually fitting some Hornby non-flanged wheels on the rear pony which just did the trick. With tender it needed more faffing about. So we're really lucky that, whatever other faults the P2 has, that Hornby came up with such a flexible chassis in RTR!

The BR green plan follows in the footsteps of others on RMweb. I did the motor swop on that chassis yesterday, and also managed to push out the smokebox door without damage to enable me to fit a proper top handrail and smokebox dart. Could take a while though, as I really don't like painting!

John.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
37 minutes ago, The Black Hat said:

Kicking this thread back into life but can I ask if people went and changed the motors on the Hornby P2 for better runnning. I have two TTS sound fitted models and think that somewhere people did swap the motor for better reliability. 

Yes, I did both of mine, with Hornby ref X9108 IIRC. The chassis appears to be the same for both Railroad and Full Range models. It does make an improvement.

On this subject, years ago your repaint into BR green of one has something to answer for! I was encouraged to do something similar, but into BR early blue. The outcome can be seen here, being the Railroad one repainted and with proper wire handrails, the Full Range one being as bought.

John.

IMG_1209 copyRMweb.jpg

• Like 10

Thanks! Yes, the Eleventh Earl of Mar still gets quite a few comments when out and about, although recently my new layout has been under construction. See Briganton in the layouts thread. Hes getting renumbered again for the ECoS not to throw a tantrum. 

297124235_1102280923729180_8914486010692944708_n.jpg.1a8b9dc8d290cb8a765bba9df92e7663.jpg

I do like the BR blue version you have done. Looks very nice and well laid out. The Earl now has Charlie and a BR standard project to keep him company amongst the other new builds my fleet has!

297419110_370819041903613_4822882299819349649_n.jpg.ac9a53ecd51d227d9a1b0c8c3f0ca0b2.jpg

• Like 7

2 hours ago, The Black Hat said:

Kicking this thread back into life but can I ask if people went and changed the motors on the Hornby P2 for better runnning. I have two TTS sound fitted models and think that somewhere people did swap the motor for better reliability. 

As far as I can gather, the motors used were very variable. I was unlucky and replaced it with a Hornby five-pole motor. The result turned a hopeless runner into a good one. As John Tomlinson observes, the Railroad and main range models used the same chassis. The main range model had improved lining, tender pickups and a TTS decoder (which I discarded).

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

The main range model had improved lining, tender pickups and a TTS decoder (which I discarded).

No it didn't, it was just DCC ready.

R3171 was the Railroad version, R 3207 (which I have) was the "main range" version

EDIT

IIRC you got tender pickups on the TTS version of R3207 only.

Edited by melmerby

On 10/03/2023 at 10:55, John Tomlinson said:

Yes, I did both of mine, with Hornby ref X9108 IIRC. The chassis appears to be the same for both Railroad and Full Range models. It does make an improvement.

On this subject, years ago your repaint into BR green of one has something to answer for! I was encouraged to do something similar, but into BR early blue. The outcome can be seen here, being the Railroad one repainted and with proper wire handrails, the Full Range one being as bought.

John.

IMG_1209 copyRMweb.jpg

The P2 looks great in the B R Blue 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, The Black Hat said:

Thanks! Yes, the Eleventh Earl of Mar still gets quite a few comments when out and about, although recently my new layout has been under construction. See Briganton in the layouts thread. Hes getting renumbered again for the ECoS not to throw a tantrum. 

297124235_1102280923729180_8914486010692944708_n.jpg.1a8b9dc8d290cb8a765bba9df92e7663.jpg

I do like the BR blue version you have done. Looks very nice and well laid out. The Earl now has Charlie and a BR standard project to keep him company amongst the other new builds my fleet has!

297419110_370819041903613_4822882299819349649_n.jpg.ac9a53ecd51d227d9a1b0c8c3f0ca0b2.jpg

Both P2s look great love the Brunswick green  .

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 16/03/2023 at 14:50, Coldgunner said:

The X9108 seems to be either out of stock or somewhat expensive, has it been replaced with another motor?

My impression, quite some time ago (probably 4+ years, minimum), was that there was little or no hope of getting hold of that motor, and at Hornby's prices I wouldn't want one. The longer can motor that featured in the early (decent) Chinese made Hornby Gresley Pacifics was however available, and purchased independently of Hornby, on-line, was very inexpensive, but had of course to be sought out. I found that with careful support of the worm gear, and patient use of a punch on the end of the armature shaft, the gear came off the original motor un-harmed, and pressed on to the new motor without any harm done. I may have used a spot of Loctite to secure it, I can't remember for certain. The longer motor doesn't fit "as supplied" of course, but I hacked the rear bracket off the chassis, stuck some carefully made plastic discs around the slim, shallow boss of the new motor to build it up to the chunkier D-Shape matching the old motor, and it both fitted AND WORKS very nicely. No problem re-fitting the body. See images:

STA70658.JPG.a80254bb5ac4c7a4198ff283752ce349.JPGSTA70660.JPG.70e181110a149a5d6ca694187f731f38.JPGSTA70664.JPG.0a786a1d6f1b52af2175f2676c5b133e.JPGSTA70666.JPG.5daef4d962429d9d5ce8c38deeb70273.JPG

It has been said that the Lord helps those who help themselves.

Edited by gr.king
Tidying up grammar! Added info.
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

As a general observation, the price of Hornby motors, as with their bogie drives for diesels and DMU's, seems to be all over the place. I rather wonder if they just have a list of numbers into which they stick a pin!

I've found Lendon's of Cardiff to be very well priced for many spares, and worth a look (connection only as a customer).

I realise this doesn't help specifically with X9108, but may be of use to someone.

Remember though that parts do return to availability, sometimes after many years, when a particular loco has had another production run.

John.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 20/03/2023 at 11:26, John Tomlinson said:

As a general observation, the price of Hornby motors, as with their bogie drives for diesels and DMU's, seems to be all over the place. I rather wonder if they just have a list of numbers into which they stick a pin!

I suspect what's happening is that the price of motors from the actual factories has risen markedly in the last few years, so that stock that's been hanging around at retailers for a few years is much cheaper than very similar 'fresh' stock.

• Like 1