Hornby P2

Dick Turpin

Since this subject seems to be in fashion, I have some news. Although I should have been a lot further on with the project by now, but for life's unexpected little (and big) turns, with any luck I shall during the course of this Autumn be able to start turning out limited numbers of resin "front half bodies" both for the Bugatti nosed P2 and for Earl Marischal as built, these being suited to a very manageable cut-and-shut with the rear half of a Hornby CotN body, for those willing to do a bit of real modelling using time, thought and care. I had originally intended to produce these last Autumn by recovering parts from prototypes that I already have running, and using these as masters for moulds. I already have a mould for new cylinders (which need some adaptation) and the necessary Walschaerts valve gear can be created using etched parts originally created for Thompsonisation of Bachmann's Peppercorn A2 models. A new pair of Comet or Branchlines crossheads may be required as part of the job.

Hi Graeme - can you add my name to the list of potential customers for this?

Tx

Peter

Edited by bigwordsmith

Here is my attempt at a a4 nose p2, a lot of little parts to add yet but not two bad for a weekends work. The loco is going to be a "what if" ie in br green.

attachicon.gifIMG_1013.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_1014.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_1015.JPG

Gary

Featuring some cunningly combined valve gear parts by the look of it. Hornby A3 slidebars etc?

Peter: I'll endeavour to remember.

First example of Earl Marischal with original condition resin front half to body nears completion. As this was always going to be a proving model, I limited risk by starting from the less expensive Railroad model. Anybody following the example would find it FAR easier to be brave and use the super-detail model as the starting point. It saves the chore, if you work carefully, of having to add all that lining to the firebox area, the cab, the tender, the frames and (eventually) the wheels.....

post-3445-0-61388600-1488789583_thumb.jpg

Edited by gr.king
  • Like 9

Featuring some cunningly combined valve gear parts by the look of it. Hornby A3 slidebars etc?Peter: I'll endeavour to remember.First example of Earl Marischal with original condition resin front half to body nears completion. Anybody following the example would find it FSR easier to be brave and use the super-detail model as the starting point. It saves the chore, if you work carefully, of having to add all that lining to the firbox area, the cab, the tender, the frames and (eventually) the wheels.....attachicon.gifSTA70600.JPG

I agree, that single line red lining on the frames is the very devil to get to work properly. How anyone makes it go on as intended is a complete mystery to me.

Featuring some cunningly combined valve gear parts by the look of it. Hornby A3 slidebars etc?Peter: I'll endeavour to remember.First example of Earl Marischal with original condition resin front half to body nears completion. Anybody following the example would find it FSR easier to be brave and use the super-detail model as the starting point. It saves the chore, if you work carefully, of having to add all that lining to the firbox area, the cab, the tender, the frames and (eventually) the wheels.....attachicon.gifSTA70600.JPG

Yes well partly a3 valve gear and also some pro scale v2 valve gear parts most notably the motion bracket which is simply held in place at the top using a tiny spot of superglue and the top weight of the chassis, it may not be 100% right but it will do for me, im in two minds about the cab ie do i modify this too or just leave as is. I know that only 'cotn' had the deeper cut out and i have an a4 body left over cab i can use but im unsure which way to go with the cab.

Gary

I agree, that single line red lining on the frames is the very devil to get to work properly. How anyone makes it go on as intended is a complete mystery to me.

For my version of the p2 (the unconverted version) I simply added lining on the edge of the rear truck and left the rest un-lined and simply gave the chassis a light dusting with tack grime. If you did this with the full far version it woukd more or less hide the lining anyway, although its a VERY light dusting that i gave my loco as it one that im actually going to keep clean - for a change.

Gary

I'm hoping to post a picture of the more complete 2002 later, once I've discovered whether my camera earlier today was simply suffering from low battery charge and/or poor contacts, or whether its electronics, which have been doing one or two odd things lately, have now become fatally corrupted.....

If it's the latter then you'll just have to come along to the East Anglia / St. Neots show this weekend, at Wood Green animal sanctuary on the Papworth Road out of Godmanchester, and see the loco on Grantham. Why not do that anyway? It looks like a rather favourable combination of layouts and traders on the list.

Fortunately the camera seems to still be usable with freshly boosted batteries, but it is displaying a worrying tendency to switch from one mode to another without any pressing of buttons to prompt the change, so I don't know how long it will last.

Anyway:

post-3445-0-57626500-1489007886_thumb.jpgpost-3445-0-28646600-1489007896_thumb.jpg

Sir, please note proper express train headlamps (RT Models castings) so I wish to be excused from any disciplinary measures this weekend.

• Like 11

G'day Gents

I had to do some work on my fiddle yard the other day so I hooked up the P2 to all of my coaches in the fiddle yard, 20 in all, and away the P2 went, not a slip, not a moments hesitation, has anyone pulled more, What is the limit to the P2's pulling power.

I also had my K3 'push' 30 wagons around my layout.

manna

PS, since my earlier post I've added 5 more coaches, still no slip, this train is now over 25' long.

Edited by manna
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

G'day Gents

I had to do some work on my fiddle yard the other day so I hooked up the P2 to all of my coaches in the fiddle yard, 20 in all, and away the P2 went, not a slip, not a moments hesitation, has anyone pulled more, What is the limit to the P2's pulling power.

manna

PS, since my earlier post I've added 5 more coaches, still no slip, this train is now over 25' long.

My 2mm scale version pulled 22 coaches and I then noticed that one of the bogies was off. Must be a P2 thing.

Tim

Edited by CF MRC
  • Like 1

One completed p2 in what might have been br green, ive assumed that while the loco's weren't rebuilt, the thompson renumbering did happen. Also ive assumed that the loco's were fitted with a monoblock cylinder block in the manner of the v2's and as such there are no outside steam pipes.

Ps its only after posting that ive noticed that some small areas need touching in with black, the camera is very useful there.

post-10572-0-87195700-1489324085_thumb.jpgpost-10572-0-70835800-1489324124_thumb.jpgpost-10572-0-61215300-1489324180_thumb.jpg

post-10572-0-73552400-1489324453_thumb.jpg

Gary

• Like 13

G'day Gents

manna

I think when Tony Wright reviewed it one of his points was the rather good haulage capacity

One completed p2 in what might have been br green, ive assumed that while the loco's weren't rebuilt, the thompson renumbering did happen. Also ive assumed that the loco's were fitted with a monoblock cylinder block in the manner of the v2's and as such there are no outside steam pipes.

Ps its only after posting that ive noticed that some small areas need touching in with black, the camera is very useful there.

IMG_1045.JPG IMG_1048.JPG IMG_1046.JPG

IMG_1049.JPG

Gary

Very impressive.

• 4 weeks later...

Of possible interest to those brave enough to interfere, but the option of a more expensive, almost drop-in, correct-size replacement 5 pole skew wound motor from Hornby (as discussed further back in this thread) will be more appealing to those of a nervous disposition!

https://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2443&p=122182#p122182

For those wanting the simpler option, here's a reminder of it.

Edited by gr.king

Of possible interest to those brave enough to interfere, but the option of a more expensive, almost drop-in, correct-size replacement 5 pole skew wound motor from Hornby (as discussed further back in this thread) will be more appealing to those of a nervous disposition!

https://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2443&p=122182#p122182

Very interesting and enterprising. It seems that some people have been lucky and some, myself included, unlucky. Whilst greatly admiring the route taken in your linked posting, I went the Hornby motor route and greatly improved the running of my P2. It seems from my experience of the GER eight-coupled tank locomotives and from what others have posted about the P2, the motors Hornby decided to use were extremely inconsistent.

I think i have alreaady posted this but i swapted the motor for the one Mike recormended.Due to the

fact the origianal would not pull the skin off a rice pudding.

I did the same, although in my case, the original motor would have jiggled the skin off.

• Like 1

I have a quick question:

I am looking at re-motoring my P2, and have seen that x9108 is an almost straightforward swap.

But, could anyone please tell me if x9712 is a 5-pole skew-wound motor, and if that can be made to fit easily? I was thinking of adding the flywheel to the redundant worm shaft.

Many Thanks for any help!

Rick Roper.

I have just had a look at a picture of the motor in question and I would have to say unfortunately not as the worm shafts are too short to reach the gears.

Oh dear. Thank You for looking though! I'm wondering if there's a suitable replacement motor like the x9108, but with a longer shaft projection at the rear, capable of taking the flywheel.

Richard

Edited by RickRoper
  • Like 1

Oh dear. Thank You for looking though! I'm wondering if there's a suitable replacement motor like the x9108, but with a longer shaft projection at the rear, capable of taking the flywheel.

Richard

Hi Richard

Mike here from Mike's Movies.

To be honest I have not missed the flywheel since fitting mine as shown in the video.

The capacitors make very minimal difference and unless you are that way inclined are not worth the effort.

Such a big improvement will be noticed by installing the new motor I really don't think you will worry about the flywheel :)

Hi Richard

Mike here from Mike's Movies.

To be honest I have not missed the flywheel since fitting mine as shown in the video.

The capacitors make very minimal difference and unless you are that way inclined are not worth the effort.

Such a big improvement will be noticed by installing the new motor I really don't think you will worry about the flywheel :)

Many Thanks for your response Mike! I'll get 1x X9108 ordered and get to work on it!

I'm still wondering if Hornby are planning on releasing Earl Marischal in original form too - That would be worth getting hold of as well.

Richard.