Hornby P2

Dick Turpin

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, gr.king said:

It may be possible to fit model V2 valve gear "as it comes" to a model P2 and get it to work without jamming, but it will not look right as items such as the combination lever and the expansion link, which ought to stand upright at their mid-points of movement, will be permanently pushed-over at an angle, giving the gear a squashed-up, zig-zag appearance, and the reversing lever will simply be in the wrong place, quite possibly over the face of a coupled wheel - an impossible location in real loco.

That was my finding with the V2 gear, Graeme. I couldn't get it to sit level and look right when the wheels rotated. 

If I'm honest I am just trying to find a 'quick fix' because I fear etched valve gear and feel I would just make a hashed up job of it.

Edited by Corbs

• 4 months later...

I don't wish to rain on anyone's party, but the price of these seems to have been dropping on ebay for a while.

A couple of weeks ago I picked up a mint, probably never run, full spec version for £75, only £3 more than I paid for a new Railroad version some years ago. 

Both nonetheless I consider to be great value!

John.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, John Tomlinson said:

I don't wish to rain on anyone's party, but the price of these seems to have been dropping on ebay for a while.

A couple of weeks ago I picked up a mint, probably never run, full spec version for £75, only £3 more than I paid for a new Railroad version some years ago. 

Both nonetheless I consider to be great value!

John.

The ones posted above are the special limited edition ones not the normal full spec ones and S/H ones are nearly always lower, whatever the condition.

ebay doesn't seem to have any really cheapo new ones at the moment, some S/H are actually more than the Derails price.

Edited by melmerby
missed out a qualification words!
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Keith, I hadn't twigged there was a third level in the hierarchy, being the limited edition gloss ones. Did these have the same doubtful 3 pole motor as the others?

Having clicked on the link it looks as if Derails are now sold out, I didn't check Hattons.

John.

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, John Tomlinson said:

Keith, I hadn't twigged there was a third level in the hierarchy, being the limited edition gloss ones. Did these have the same doubtful 3 pole motor as the others?

Having clicked on the link it looks as if Derails are now sold out, I didn't check Hattons.

John.

Didn't notice the "sold out" in small print!

I bought the R3207 version when it was new and I don't think I paid anywhere near £100

AFAIK the motors are all the same. Mine was bit rough to start with but got better with age. Now it is OK.

It is a pity the "Main range" version wasn't really that, just the RR version with better lining and etched plates.

A full fat version with proper detailling, a 5 pole motor & tender pickups would be really something.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Hoping this is ok Andy as I’m not advertising for sale but I’ve got one of the Gloss A4’s I’m thinking of selling. What would people suggest as a good price to advertise it for? 

15 hours ago, melmerby said:

Didn't notice the "sold out" in small print!

I bought the R3207 version when it was new and I don't think I paid anywhere near £100

AFAIK the motors are all the same. Mine was bit rough to start with but got better with age. Now it is OK.

It is a pity the "Main range" version wasn't really that, just the RR version with better lining and etched plates.

A full fat version with proper detailling, a 5 pole motor & tender pickups would be really something.

A full fat version would be very welcome – especially one with an A4-style nose. I got a TTS one which has the extra pick ups in the tender. I got a replacement motor (the original was awful) and a decent decoder but it has decided that it doesn’t want to run, although it makes noises. The problem with Hornby’s P2 is that it came at a time when Hornby models were starting to crawl out of the “Design Clever” swamp but hadn’t yet got back to decent standards. The P2 chassis is designed to take the later type of body. It was a good piece of forward thinking but I think we need Hornby to start again from scratch with this.

One good thing is that Hornby seems to manage LNER green quite well. Its BR and GWR greens still tend to be hit and miss and even at their best don’t rise to Bachmann standards.

It struck me as odd that Hornby did a set of four LNER locomotives in gloss: Gresley A1, A3,  A4 and P2. The P2 came nowhere near the standard of the other three.

20 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

[Snip]

One good thing is that Hornby seems to manage LNER green quite well. Its BR and GWR greens still tend to be hit and miss and even at their best don’t rise to Bachmann standards.

I'll be honest I've found some of Hornby's LNER green Locos in recent years to be as "flushed out" as their BR/GWR green. I have a Claud Hamilton in LNER Lined Green, and it is an awful rendition compared to Bachmann's 4771 Green Arrow. 

Paul. 

On 01/01/2013 at 19:35, Dick Turpin said:

Once the original P2 has been done (to a very high standard and sold in numbers beyond expectation) a second phase of production featuring the Bugatti nose will repeat the already high sales of phase one.

On 01/01/2013 at 19:35, Dick Turpin said:

Sadly we are all still waiting for the Bugatti nose version here in 2019.

Come on Hornby pull your finger out , we want a Bugatti P2.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, DonnyRailMan said:

Come on Hornby pull your finger out , we want a Bugatti P2.

IIR the P2 was blighted (to a certain extent) by the "Design Clever" ethos of the time. It'd be nice to see a "Bugatti" P2 with valvegear, but it'd be well over the £200 price mark as they wouldn't try to foist Design Clever on modellers now, especially as we've had the plain and streamlined Princess Coronations, and the due "sometime soon" Princess Royals.

And there certainly wouldn't be parallel Railroad and Full Fat releases either.

30 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they revisited it when the new build is running about. There will be a load of people who want one that didn't really want a COTN.

Looks good with the boiler cladding fitted. No boiler yet though.

https://www.p2steam.com/

Jason

I hope Hornby are not waiting for the one being built here

In the town with the Bugatti nose, more chance of us all growing a third set of teath LOL.

Edited by DonnyRailMan
  • Funny 1

They do look good when photo-edited.... :)

2001_P2_LNER_portrait25_2abcde_r1500.jpg

photo created from pic of Hornby 2001 and other public domain images with PSP6 software. Will remove if required.

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

The only place the Thomson one looks 'wrong', apart from dropping a pair of drivers, is the cylinders are too far back for visual 'balance' IMHO.

Otherwise, it's growing on me somehow!!

I still prefer 'the original'.

Al.

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, DonnyRailMan said:

I hope Hornby are not waiting for the one being built here

In the town with the Bugatti nose, more chance of us all growing a third set of teath LOL.

I'm still staggered that there has not been any cross pollination between the two groups, the savings on batched parts could have been significant for both. OK personally I think that the P2SLT has made a strange choice in building "the next one in the series" but to look like the first built, instead of continuing the breed in evolution as it did back then. 

Paul. 

One of my TTS P2 locomotives was wired like some of the Castle class with a factory short in the loco blowing the TTS decoder when powered up.  The tender wiring and 8-pin connector are OK so the short is in the loco chassis itself.  Still a nice analogue runner.  I had three P2 (a Railroad and two TTS models) and all ran smoothly with the stock three-pole motor.