Dick Turpin

Hornby P2

On 25/06/2019 at 13:08, DonnyRailMan said:

If / when Hornby produce a P.O.W. P2 is going to look much different in appearance to Cock O The North. Will it be fitted with the external pump system on front righthand side.

Discussion about a model of 2007 prompted me to look back over my file of photos. Admittedly not in OO scale this was taken (somewhere!) by my late father. The film was processed in March 1964. Probably taken in the Lincolnshire area but just possibly in Hertfordshire. Any info welcome but interesting that whoever made this did it in original (non 'Bugatti') style and anticipated the 'real' 2007 by 55 years!

1964_3_035 Model of LNER P2 2-8-2 (2007!).JPG

• Like 2

It's quite common for those that work in the bigger scales to make the identity a new one. Especially when it's live steam.

Jason

Posted (edited)

Name 2008 after a town in Bonnie Scotland?

Edited by atom3624

5 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Name 2008 after a town in Bonnie Scotland?

Yeah was thinking about Angle O' The North at first, could still be that.

2 hours ago, DonnyRailMan said:

Yeah was thinking about Angle O' The North at first, could still be that.

Is that the slab fronted version? :jester:

You could always do a 2007 as Prince of Wales and also one as Duke of Rothesay which I believe it will run as when in Scotland to mark the Princes Scottish title. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 05/07/2019 at 18:43, Hilux5972 said:

You could always do a 2007 as Prince of Wales and also one as Duke of Rothesay which I believe it will run as when in Scotland to mark the Princes Scottish title. 

It got to be better than naming it after his Mrs. Better than that I could call it Princess Of Wales (AKA) DIANA.

Edited by DonnyRailMan

I did the motor swop to an X9108 on my matt, fully lined example yesterday, and to confirm what many have said the running is a great deal better. I also added all the little bits, and set the tender/ loco coupling at its closest setting. Perhaps surprisingly the loco still goes round my tightest curves quite happily, minimum radius 27'', with just a tiny bit of slowing on one curve that I think I can cure by slightly rounding off the cab footplate at the edges, or indeed a couple of passes with the file on the tender/ loco coupling hole. Can't say I'm that impressed with the metal but printed nameplates supplied by Hornby, and I'll try to find some proper etched ones with raised lettering.

Time to move onto my Railroad version, which is scheduled for a proper upgrade with all-separate handrails as well as an X9108, and then a respray to BR Brunswick green.

John.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, John Tomlinson said:

I did the motor swop to an X9108 on my matt, fully lined example yesterday, and to confirm what many have said the running is a great deal better. I also added all the little bits, and set the tender/ loco coupling at its closest setting. Perhaps surprisingly the loco still goes round my tightest curves quite happily, minimum radius 27'', with just a tiny bit of slowing on one curve that I think I can cure by slightly rounding off the cab footplate at the edges, or indeed a couple of passes with the file on the tender/ loco coupling hole. Can't say I'm that impressed with the metal but printed nameplates supplied by Hornby, and I'll try to find some proper etched ones with raised lettering.

Time to move onto my Railroad version, which is scheduled for a proper upgrade with all-separate handrails as well as an X9108, and then a respray to BR Brunswick green.

John.

Will have a play around with the close draw-bar. Looking forward to seeing your Brunswick Green P2.

Having inspected the back of the cab floor and tender fronts in more detail, there didn't seem to be a tidy way of removing some material. On some locos/ tenders there's a raised lip that can be gently filed back at the edges to give a bit more leeway on curves. So I've settled for slightly extending the coupling bar hole.

Many years ago I bought a finished K's P2 (the only built kit I've ever bought), and had quite a struggle getting the loco (minus the tender) round my curves, eventually fitting some Hornby non-flanged wheels on the rear pony which just did the trick. With tender it needed more faffing about. So we're really lucky that, whatever other faults the P2 has, that Hornby came up with such a flexible chassis in RTR!

The BR green plan follows in the footsteps of others on RMweb. I did the motor swop on that chassis yesterday, and also managed to push out the smokebox door without damage to enable me to fit a proper top handrail and smokebox dart. Could take a while though, as I really don't like painting!

John.

Just to ask, does anyone have a spare tender? Preferably  for the railroad version of the P2, please pm me if you do.