Hornby P2

Dick Turpin

• RMweb Premium

It was on Facebook, but I cna't find it now - the Perth P2 was shown without wheels, and OH Dear .... GWR-Tank Style SQUARE axle troughs again, doubtless as thin and suceptable to wear.

Great looking model, mechanically suspect it seems...

I hear manufacture of the wheels have been contracted out to a certain Hengist Pod! :jester:

Keith

Ok, fair cop guv. maybe a bit extremeon my part. But I've found the picture. Unless there are brass bearings inside, the openings look more square than round...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/946828_10151491876930843_509348922_n.jpg

Hi

They look just like the 2-8-2 ,openings square not round, mind you looks good and i agree moulded hand rails on the railroad one and wire hand rails in a bag,to do your self.

Edited by darren01
  • Like 1

I am glad that such final decisions can be made from photos on a Facebook site. With this expert analysis we can make thousands of development and production engineers redundant, when any manufacturer designs any new product just put  a photo on facebook and all these self proclaimed experts can tell the manufacturer what is wrong with the design and what it's life expectancy is.

And what's the difference between Facebook and here? Both are social media essentially! I have the same knowledge base whether I comment here or on Facebook!

I was as pleased as anyone when Hornby announced Cock O' The North and Duke Of Gloucester. Some people latched on to the fact that the Duke was being produced as preserved especially regarding the tender. Subsequently the versions with the alternative original tenders were available to vote for in the last RMweb/MREmag poll.<br />With Hornby's P2 representing the new build 2007, I wonder how much demand might arise for any other P2 variants as these were not on the poll listings. Although some have expressed some preferences; thus far, a trend is not really apparent from posts in this thread. Hopefully we'll have a P2 in our hands in good time to start lobbying for more in next years poll. This assumes of course that Hornby aren't already onto this and wish to make best use of the chassis. Here's hoping for a "P2 great gathering" eventually.<br />RP

• RMweb Premium

James at 82 "And what's the difference between Facebook and here? Both are social media essentially! ".

Yes, but there was recent comment that around 80% of all communication now takes place on Faceebook or Twitter. As a great believer in e mail, I was astonished at this figure, but it is an indication of how things change so quickly. So Hornby are in tune with today's vibes, and keeping up.

John

I was as pleased as anyone when Hornby announced Cock O' The North and Duke Of Gloucester. Some people latched on to the fact that the Duke was being produced as preserved especially regarding the tender. Subsequently the versions with the alternative original tenders were available to vote for in the last RMweb/MREmag poll.<br />With Hornby's P2 representing the new build 2007, I wonder how much demand might arise for any other P2 variants as these were not on the poll listings. Although some have expressed some preferences; thus far, a trend is not really apparent from posts in this thread. Hopefully we'll have a P2 in our hands in good time to start lobbying for more in next years poll. This assumes of course that Hornby aren't already onto this and wish to make best use of the chassis. Here's hoping for a "P2 great gathering" eventually.<br />RP

I think with the P2's there's the potential for 10 models.

1. 2001Cock O' The North (as built)

2. 2001 Cock O' The North (streamlined rebuild)

3. 2002 Earl Marischal (as built)

4. 2002 Earl Marischal (as built with additional smoke deflectors)

5. 2002 Earl Marischal (streamlined rebuild)

6. 2003 Lord President (as built)

7. 2004 Mons Meg (as built)

8. 2005 Thane of Fife (as built)

9. 2006 Wolf of Badenoch(as built)

10. 2007 (as built

But depends on whether Hornby go ahead with the streamlined versions form 2003-2006 and later 2001 and 2002 and whether the A1 Trust P2 project is successful.

Plus each loco is different in detail = Hornby will do the easiest ones in due course leaving some modelling to do for the others

That'll do for me!

RP

10. 2007 (as built

But depends on whether Hornby go ahead with the streamlined versions form 2003-2006 and later 2001 and 2002 and whether the A1 Trust P2 project is successful.

11. GWR proposed 4-8-0 conversion.

That that is what my Railroad one will be used for. Not worth buying Romfords/gears/motor and the time to scratch at the Railroad price.

http://www.gwr.org.uk/galfox1.html

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 3

10. 2007 (as built

You could add original and later chimney, plus Mons Meg had a modified firebox-but I am not sure whether this altered the appearance.

Leading on from this, with the NRM having marketed limited editions, Hornby could use their A4 tooling to produce 10000, and also produce a new body for the Hush-Hush.  I am sure these would be viable projects, and a high profile product for Hornby and positive PR for the NRM.  

From there, using an existing locomotive and tender chassis to produce GT3 would be relatively low cost, as would using a Bo-Bo chassis for 10800. 

Hornby could use their A4 tooling to produce 10000

I seriously doubt that; you may be able to convert an A4 into the rebuilt W1, but adapting the tooling is quite different.

It would be great if a retailer comissioned a limited edition P2 in BR colours as if they had never been ruined!

Yes it would be nice to see one in BR Green, with the whole smokebox as far as the first banding black and the rest of the livery as per A4, A2, etc... but ruined? I think not...

*This isnt the place to go down the Gresley / Thompson rebuild argument either! Most of what people say is recycled anyway...  :offtopic:

Hornby could use their A4 tooling to produce 10000

How?? Just because the nose and cab are very similar doesn't mean Hornby will do that. The rest of the model is completely different.

Using that will require heavy modification of the tooling, why not just make a new tool for the streamlined one...

post-15929-0-34817300-1375174989.png

It would be great if a retailer comissioned a limited edition P2 in BR colours as if they had never been ruined!

Define your 'ruined'!

The first two P2s were very much experimental units, with the general exterior bodywork appearance that Hornby are producing: both were significantly different in exterior detail appearance.

Then as the state of the art advanced with the knowledge gained on the A4, the four 'production' P2s were built with the Bugatti front end treatment, and the two experimental fore-runners were then rebuilt to match. (Now, no 'ruining' going on there, this was done to improve exhaust clearance to give a better crew look out; and any group planning to build the next in class would do well to consider following what a professional engineering outfit decided on from hard won experience.) For my money, that's the P2 to have in model form; which I intend to do with a Hornby model using parts from the scrap bin to build the mighty 9MT as unfortunately not seen in BR service.

10000 is the W1 not a P2 :O

Be it a W1 or P2. There is still quite a big difference for any tooling to be ''MODIFIED''.

and that is not a Hornby A4....but a Martin Finney A4. Stunning kit!  :yes:

We are in general talking about an A4. not specificly to a Hornby one. I did that for comparison..... Yes a stunning kit (AGREED!!!) Awesome one...