Re-using a Bachmann 21-pin decoder ex-Blue Pullman - is it possible?

Mel_H

Hi Britannia

Thanks for the advice. It runs fine on DC. In the end, I tried plugging in my new NCE Powercab - and it works beautifully! I had been using a Hornby Select which I have on my workbench coupled to a rolling road. When I tried again with the Select it still didn't work properly and the chip also made a nasty buzzing sound. I guess it must be a Select issue then?

Regards

Mel Holley

Interesting, I am trying to run 36-557 decoders from my Hornby Elite, and the behaviour is very similar to your Select as mentioned. Is this a general Hornby issue then, or is my Elite issue different to the Select?  I thought the Elite and Select were very different beasts (The Elite being NMRA compliant for a start) Surely I am not going to have to swap out my Elite for a NCE Powercab at this late stage; I have around 50 other locos all running quite nicely with various flavours of Hornby and Bachmann decoders on the Elite...is the advent of the 36-557 going to be the nail in the Elite's coffin?

• 5 years later...

Just found this thread after searching for Soundtraxx MC1H10421P to try to identify a chip I have just removed from a Bachmann J11 loco for a friend.  The chip is clearly 21 pin, and is also an MC1 variant as opposed to an MC2.  I have emailed Soundtraxx to see if they can advise what decoder it is, and what functions it has.  I have attached a picture for information:

post-9029-0-48291000-1524575008.jpg

Archived