Response to a card modelling 'how-to'

Chubber

Following the post below by Jason in another members topic, I have opened this thread to answer the request......

Hi Doug

The example you have here is really great. I'm sure I read a post somewhere where you gave instructions and tips on how you built this frontage. I've looked all over but I'm afraid I can't find it. You wouldn't happen to remember where it is would you? It had some points in it such as somehow making the edges stronger so that they can be sanded or files that I've never seen before.

cheers

Jason 

The thread is here

on the YMR Forum, I hope it helps,

Doug

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Doug. I wasn't sure about starting a new topic, and I remembered that the thread was really useful. Thanks for getting back to me.

Edited by JCL

• 7 years later...

Hi Doug (Chubbers)

I am unashamedly collecting tips, "how to" articles and suchlike to aid my own modelling, and every time I see something by you I know I am going to be seeing something great and in all likelihood worth bookmarking!  I know this is from a while ago (2012) and directs readers to another forum, but did you ever produce this material without using Photobucket? (Asking because dirty great big watermarks over the centre of all the photos hides a lot of the instructional value of what you demonstrated)

Cheeky I know, but it is always worth asking!

Regards

Steve S

Hullo Steve,

Thank you for your kind remarks, but unfortunately I no longer have anything of that vintage on my 'pooter!

There is however quite a lot of my stuff on http://yourmodelrailway.net/ although you'll have to 'join', I am on there as 'Chubber' or much earlier as 'Dooferdog'.

Putting Doug Dickson model railways into Google can turn up a bit, too.

Best wishes

Doug

• Thanks 1

On 11/05/2020 at 12:04, Chubber said:

Hullo Steve,

Thank you for your kind remarks, but unfortunately I no longer have anything of that vintage on my 'pooter!

Doug

Thanks for the reply.  I guess this is what comes of deciding to read every post in this forum, starting on the last page and working my way forward!  So far, I have bookmarked a good many hints and tips from yourself and others, but it is a shame when following links to find webpages no longer exist, or companies have long since folded.

I am now up to page 13 of the thread after days of solid reading!  What is interesting is seeing the same questions being asked again and again e.g. what glue is recommended?!  Certainly I have been guilty of asking repeat questions!  (Perhaps part of this is that the search facility here either results in far too many "hits" to be efficient, or simply doesn't turn up anything relevant!). Case in point - I asked about rendered finishes on buildings having done a search with no useful hits, and lo and behold I find your examples using watercolour paper over a Scalescenes building shell!  However, I only found that entry by reading posts one by one by one!

Maybe there should be FAQs pinned to the top of the thread - What glue is recommended? Recommended tools/gadgets for card structure modelling? How to cut straight/angled/curves? How to do roofs? How to improve Metcalfe kits?

Each of the above has been asked a dozen times or more with different wording; could all the responses be gathered into one or two "encyclopaedic" FAQs?

Pondering out loud, and marvelling at the skills demonstrated, knowledge freely shared and inspirational photos on this forum.  Thanks to everyone who has contributed over the years!

Steve S

Edited by SteveyDee68
Poorly worded

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all,

This thread touches on something that has been on my mind recently.

During the construction of my model railway, I have been keeping a photograph diary of its development and this has included a section on several card buildings that I have recently made.  I have been thinking of putting these photographs together (just the card buildings, that is), possibly as a slideshow with an audio commentary.  Well putting the slides together was the easy bit, I now have to think about a script for a commentary.

The 'story' I have is: 

Look to the real thing (photographs & google street). 

Tools and materials used.

Prepare a mock-up first (check that it fits).

Construct the model.

Lessons learned & references.

I suppose the big question is 'why?' To which I would answer, to showcase what I have done and share a technique with those that don't know where to start.  I realise that there is no such thing as a definitive 'right' way to do something, we each develop a technique and others may disagree with mine.

So I want to ask, is this something that is likely to be well received, or would I be wasting my time?

Also, if I do this, what would be the appropriate platform, Youtube, or this forum (and if so, which section)?

I'd like to hear peoples thoughts on this.  Thanks.

• Like 1

It is possible to find information about particular subjects through the forum threads structure and to target specific information there is a search facility (the magnifying glass icon at the top of the page).